Reload this Page >

"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, former UA 1K (sigh)
I'd change your advertising placement and strategy, so there were fewer banner ads with more visibility. And I'd introduce more sponsored content, like the examinations of credit card benefits that I actually use on other people's sites.

And I'd make the app a ton more useful and fun.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
My only appeal to the Community Director languished 9 weeks before I received a response.
My only appeal to the CD was responded to within hours.

I had been suspended and whichever moderator did it hadn't bothered to let me know why (I believe that they are supposed to for a suspension, but I could be wrong here). I asked the CD for a reason. The wrong moderator put his or her hand up, claiming that I had been suspended for post-count padding on a forum that I had never visited or posted to.

The real reason was a personal attack on a completely different forum. My post count is 1.42 per day, hardly indicative of a padder. Wrong moderator, wrong reason, wrong forum.

I was impressed with the CD's prompt response to my appeal, but I'm often unmoved by the actions of some of the over-enthusiastic amateurs who act as moderators on FT.

What do you get when you pay peanuts?

Interesting that I suspect this thread was probably intended to provoke technical suggestions, but a huge number of responses have been in regard to the human failings of the site.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:24 am

I would leave it as it is, because it's not broken.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Fix Search - impossible to search effectively which makes for repeated questions that have already been asked and answered
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I would have a better avenue to appeal suspensions ! Presently it appears Judge, Jury & God reside with those in charge of the forum.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Make it easier to change personal profile and become friends with others or follow posts.

I have tried to change my user name and asked the mods and gave the reason but all I got was no response.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:02 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
I have tried to change my user name and asked the mods and gave the reason but all I got was no response.
The moderators don't handle that issue. See:
Change user name / username / handle: Can I? How?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG,HHonersGold, UA1P, HertzGoldPlus, DeltaSkyMiles
Moderator question?

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
+1

This would fix two problems at once -- TalkBoard's relevance and bad moderators.

I was actually threatened by a moderator for bringing up moderation in a TalkBoard forum discussion. These days I rarely venture outside of one particular lounge thread; it's just not worth the hassle.
Obviously this was a part of my feedback and from what I can view via mobile ...Seems like you must have x amount of comments, new thread, and your level of airline,hotel,car etc better be like George C. In the Air movie to be considered?
Does that really matter? Someone may not travel "as frequent" but is WILLING to invest their time to help within a forum they care about. Isn't the whole point of growing and keeping this forum to finally ask this question. I'm sorry but I see way too many jerk replies. They were from Mods and Members. Why aren't mods helping with this isuue?

I run three community's with mod's on LinkedIn and Google Plus. Each group has a min of 25k members. Growth only happens when people listen and actually make changes.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by T8191
That's one perspectibve... another is to carry on learning the jargon, as I comfortably do in my 70s. Every day's a school day
But not everyone can catch on as quickly vs folks like you. I understand I asked some stupid questions in 09 but I read that sticky like a book. I have a Master's degree in Marketing but I almost failed out college because of my Math skills.
I'd love to see a section called "Willing to help newbies" I'm extremely tech savvy and never bash anyone if they do not learn daily how algorithms on Google change.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by beltway
All of these complaints & criticisms about mods & moderation--including my own--suggest an idea for improving FT: provide an obvious, straightforward mechanism for registering such concerns with FT mgmt. Right now, I suspect most FTers have no idea that the Community Director exists, let alone how to convey complaints to her.
I didn't know this. I had trouble with a mod too - and really had nowhere to go. The mod consistently pushes his friends business in threads he moderates and it misleads other FTers who are unaware. But where to go? Who to complain to? Who moderates the moderators?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I didn't know this. I had trouble with a mod too - and really had nowhere to go. The mod consistently pushes his friends business in threads he moderates and it misleads other FTers who are unaware. But where to go? Who to complain to? Who moderates the moderators?
EXACTLY! I couldn't find the boss moderator anywhere so I left FT.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:46 am

Let me make sure that I understand the question:

Are you asking me to give you advice, for free, on how you can make more money from what I have, for free, already provided to you?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by tom911
The moderators don't handle that issue. See:
Change user name / username / handle: Can I? How?
My point was I had gone through the correct process twice and those in charge (aka mods of the site) didn't respond.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:06 pm

Mod RESPONSE to Me today!

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Let me make sure that I understand the question:

Are you asking me to give you advice, for free, on how you can make more money from what I have, for free, already provided to you?

No I don't want to make money nor will I pay. I thought this thread would be productive.
I posted OMG it wasn't the exact place and the post was closed and I was treated poorly. I'm done! Gl rude arrogant people!! I am also sharing to all 500k + on all Media accounts how this forum is bad. Grow up.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Jul 30, 2016 at 8:57 am Reason: remove profanity workaround
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:07 pm

How do I deactivate my account?

Mods? Please direct me to where I can get out Asap!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.