"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
If I ran flyertalk, I would get rid of the reliance of some web tech that makes the site unusable in China (I think some google code that cannot load due to government restrictions)

I would also stop forcing the mobile interface on mobile devices, and make that a setting in the user profile.

I would add tools that could connect FT'ers on the road. Either build on lounge/flight-connect or something completely new that effortlessly can connect FT'ers itineraries in a controlled way.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:25 am

I actually like the mobile site interface. Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't like using the full site on my iPhone or iPad.

The things I would change would be to add a couple of features to mobile that don't exist (first and foremost the ability to see the wiki on a thread, and also the ability to report posts / suggest for talk mail, etc.), and fix the bug where opening the thread to the first unread post actually takes me nearly a full page back of the first unread post (making me scroll past stuff that was posted days, weeks or even months ago).

I'd also fix the annoying bug where some threads show that there are, for example, 30 pages of posts, but the most you can get to is 29.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Gold, Alitalia Ulisse, AMEX,
If I ran flyertalk, I would make wiki post available also on mobile devices
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Embed fewer ads in the page views

Make it easier to insert photos

Update the fonts to make them more readable

Limit moderation to only avoid spam and libel and get rid of the volunteer moderators
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Agree that moderation can sometimes be overly enthusiastic (the thread about Delta service at SJC a few months ago is a great example of mod overreach).
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I would give people the option of making a token donation to FT to disable ads. At home I use an ad blocker but at work I'm not allowed to install this rather useful bit of software.

I would also kill the mobile site or vastly increase its usability. Navigating the traditional site is easy. Navigating the mobile site is hard. For now, there is no utility (for me) to even bother with the mobile site. When my iPhone / iPad goes to the mobile site, I immediately switch to the full site.

I would find a way to post pics. Uploading to flickr or similar then linking in is painfully time-consuming. I'd rather just embed the pics directly into my posts. I suspect the difficulty in linking in pics is the reason relatively few posts have pics in them.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I would find a way to post pics. Uploading to flickr or similar then linking in is painfully time-consuming. I'd rather just embed the pics directly into my posts. I suspect the difficulty in linking in pics is the reason relatively few posts have pics in them.
Someone PM'd me and said "It sounds like, from your post in CB, that you don't realize you no longer have to upload photos to websites to then post them on FT. You can embed them in posts from phone, computer, laptop, tablet. It's been that way for a few months now."

Well how about that? So if I ran FT, I'd let people know or find a way to make it obvious that there's an easy way to post pics now.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Well how about that? So if I ran FT, I'd let people know or find a way to make it obvious that there's an easy way to post pics now.
While certainly an improvement, the new way to upload pics still feels very 1998.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
If I ran flyertalk I'd find a way to resolve the constant arguing within the Talkboard. Do with that what you may.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I ran Flyertalk I'd drop any mention of it being a site for "Frequent Flyers".

It's a site for Reward Programme members as well as those interested in anything travel related.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Limit the number of threads people can start and/or number of responses people can make in a specific time frame. Might help improve the signal:noise ratio...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
In no particular order...

1. Reform the moderator concept in general, including:

- Reduce the scope of what can be moderated to cut down on over-reach
- Require better transparency as to some moderator actions
- Listen and respond to constructive feedback about moderator actions and remove the rule making it a thought crime to discuss or comment about moderation (assuming it is respectful, civil, etc).

2. Eliminate TalkBoard. Other than arguing amongst one another and applying red tape to simple matters like updating a forum name, it's not clear that this body is necessary in 2016. No other online forums (on other subjects) that I belong to have anything like it and they seem to do just fine.

3. Auto-close (to new posts) non-active threads after a certain period of time. Seems to work well elsewhere on some sites. Admins/mods could re-open manually if requested and deemed appropriate.

4. Make wikis visible on the mobile site.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I ran Flyertalk, I would make sure that all the members on the go had an awesome flyertalk mobile app to use.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by chicagorich
If I ran Flyertalk, I would make sure that all the members on the go had an awesome flyertalk mobile app to use.
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i'd get rid of the mobile site completely.

even on mobile devices, it's an awful experience. as much as one can choose to 'view full site', it'll eventually kick back to the mobile site.

perhaps there can be an account option where each user can completely disable the mobile site when logged in.
+1. I like the view of the full site and hate the mobile version.

And I like to use my slack time waiting by browsing FT instead of Twitter/facebook and I don't run after pokemons
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:53 am

If I ran flyertalk,
There would be no popover ads
Tapatalk would be supported
I would strongly court official reps from programs that don't have a presence here

That is all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.