FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "If I ran FlyerTalk..."
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:06 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by techgirl
If I ran FlyerTalk, I'd go back to the days when this was a site for and about frequent travelers, when we had a sense of community and camaraderie (see 9/11 threads), and individuals participating were actually willing to both give and take (information, support, trades for small items) without expecting anything (cash, hat tips, warm fuzzies) in return.

Sadly the Internet has evolved and social media has replaced the spirit many of us created over many nights on chat, hosting community DOs that had (almost) nothing to do with manufactured spending or making money and everything to do with hanging out and socializing with people who traveled as much as we did, and actually knowing many of the people and personalities behind the keyboards.

Now I'm just here for the Fantasy Football. It's my one remaining piece of what FT used to be.
The less "noise" of some sorts that ends up being on FT, the less of a "community" sense there also ends up being. That said, the obsession aimed at reducing the "signal to noise rate/ratio" on FT isn't the only reason the "community" can't be what it used to be. A much larger membership base does have some impact.