Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of issues with transfers of UR points to someone else's hotel or airline loyalty program account.

There is a separate thread to discuss transfers of UR points directly into someone else's UR account: Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.
Print Wikipost

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by msc75
Someone in my family transferred points recently to another person's mileage account with a different last name, different address and not an authorized user. Transfer was not blocked and points were not confiscated. These types of transfers are usually instant anyway and one is not asked for the recipient's address, so there doesn't seem to be any kind of name/address matching. Whether Chase will review the transaction later and close the account in the next few months remains to be seen.

In the case of UR acct to UR account transfers, the reports have been that they close the recipient's account only. Obviously they can't close a third party's mileage account in another program so any repercussions would have to be against the transferrer. I don't think we have seen any actual reports of this happening yet.
I have a similar experience. It is probably better to limit such transfers though.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:09 pm

Lots of discussions here about (what I think) are personal accounts. What about Ink accounts?

Transfers may only be used to combine rewards belonging to the same individual or business in the Program; or for the purpose of enabling spouses or domestic partners to combine rewards earned in their respective names.
Can the business transfer miles/points to the partner account of an employee of the business who is an authorized user on the same account? Or are transfers only permitted to the business owner's and spouse's accounts?

I know that transfers are not allowed to third parties other than the cardmember's spouse or domestic partner, but I think there are two arguments to be made here with respect to the term "third party."

First, is an employee a "third party" with respect to the business? There's at least a colorable argument to be made that an employee is actually part of the business and not a third-party.

Second, with respect to personal cards, are authorized users "third parties"? Same argument might be made here. You've got the cardmember, you've got authorized users, and then you've got "third parties" who are neither the cardmember or the authorized user. No transfers to third parties UNLESS they are a spouse/domestic partner.

Last edited by crimsonAA; Feb 15, 2013 at 4:24 pm
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
For those who got in trouble did Chase end up doing their famous lifetime ban from all Chase products ? My parents transferred their UR points to me for safekeeping and when it is time close my account I was planning to transfer to their UA accounts. Need to know if I will risk an outright ban or just get my UR card closed
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
This certainly blows. I didn't notice this change and had used my friend's UA mile (he's a 1k) to book an award ticket and was going to transfer miles when the trip is confirmed. Now it is confirmed but I can't pay back the miles and seats are not available under my UA status. I called Chase to see if they can make an exception providing that I can produce proof to my ticket, but no dice. I charged 100k at CSP last year and have two cards with Chase. Since this benefit is gone, I'm going to move all spending to SPG to get the 20% transfer bonus for other airlines. I really thought this was the card to keep and had got several friends signed up. Now I have to deliver the bad news too all of them. I need a good SPG signup link as a backup for my friends. I'd appreciate if anyone can share.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ycc777
This certainly blows. I didn't notice this change and had used my friend's UA mile (he's a 1k) to book an award ticket and was going to transfer miles when the trip is confirmed. Now it is confirmed but I can't pay back the miles and seats are not available under my UA status. I called Chase to see if they can make an exception providing that I can produce proof to my ticket, but no dice. I charged 100k at CSP last year and have two cards with Chase. Since this benefit is gone, I'm going to move all spending to SPG to get the 20% transfer bonus for other airlines. I really thought this was the card to keep and had got several friends signed up. Now I have to deliver the bad news too all of them. I need a good SPG signup link as a backup for my friends. I'd appreciate if anyone can share.
Im sorry that happened to your plans. I dont have any further spg links other than the common ones already known but one piece of advice I ALWAYS inform friends/recruits of is this:

Yes this game can give you many miles and points but it is a constantly moving target and noone knows where it will go next. All you can do is constantly roll with the changes. Its like surfing choppy seas or skiing in tight glades... You may not be able to predict where things take you but if you have the eye for it and the skills to continually adapt to it, you can reap that which the common population may never experience but always secretly wish they could do. There is a cost but its often worth it. If you run into too many stoppers, learn to take short breaks, adjust and come back anew!

mm
Old Mar 2, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Wink

Ycc777, U can always go online to transfer to your friend's UA, then to one of your own accounts if U have any more. If they confront U after your ticket is issued, U will have nothing in your UR account to lose--only future earning opportunities!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by UA Fan
For those who got in trouble did Chase end up doing their famous lifetime ban from all Chase products ? My parents transferred their UR points to me for safekeeping and when it is time close my account I was planning to transfer to their UA accounts. Need to know if I will risk an outright ban or just get my UR card closed
I'm tempted to do some experiments but the lifetime ban scares me. I'm going to empty out my UR accounts and use them up for an award booking. I was going to try

1. Add A as AU on Ink and transfer UR point to A's UA account (valuable)
2. Add A as AU on Ink card. Transfer from A's freedom to A's Ink card (as my AU) and then transfer large combined UR stash to A's UA account.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:22 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Transferring UR to another person's airlines

I'm helping a friend of mine plan his honeymoon. They wanted to do some credit card signup to get enough miles for 2 RT tickets on UA to HNL. That should be some 160K miles.

Since I'm a 1K and they have 0 status, I was thinking of using my UA account to book their flights and then when they earn the UR from their credit card spend, that they can just send me the points to my UA account.
I've read that accounts have been closed on UR to UR transfers. Have anyone heard anything on UR to UA transfers?

Also I was thinking of having them sign up for the following cards

2x Sapphire (40K bonus each) (one card per person)
1x INK business (50K bonus)

Giving us some 130K bonuses. They are having their reception in a Hilton so they figure there will be some $10K in spend. With both cards offering double points for hotel (I think so) thats another 20K points (and should cover basically the min spend for the bonuses)
So 150K total. And the last 10K they could owe me down the line. I'm sure with the honeymoon costs and stuff 10K points won't be hard to make.

But the question comes down to how safe is it to transfer UR to a different person's UA account?

And does anyone have any thoughts on my plan for the cards?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jason8612
I've read that accounts have been closed on UR to UR transfers. Have anyone heard anything on UR to UA transfers?
I have appended your question to the established thread on this topic. It is unambiguously against the rules to transfer to the airline program of anyone other than your spouse, but it does work, and I do not recall anyone reporting any consequence for do so, but do review the thread.

This is exactly the same situation as at American Express Membership Rewards.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by jason8612
But the question comes down to how safe is it to transfer UR to a different person's UA account?

And does anyone have any thoughts on my plan for the cards?
Mia beat me to it.
I haven't heard of anyone having problems with UR-->UA either.
Ofcourse no one can predict the future and either you take the risk to do it or you don't.

I have gotten points into my UA account from my mother's UR account and haven't had a problem.

Though this wouldn't really help, I'd still recommend you asking your friends to add you as a AU to their account. Just a buffer, so that you're not a random somebody who the points are being transferred to. Still against the T&C but less suspicious.

As for the cards itself, that does seem the easiest way to get UA miles. They could get the UA card, but that 50k offer is iffy.

One suggestion- If they're going to be buying any thing expensive (jewelry etc) maybe they could use the UR mall?
Like Kohls.com gives 10x.
For a $5000 purchase that's an additional 50k points + minimum spend met.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Thanks.
Yeah, they can always add me as a card holder for a month or 2 and hold onto the card. I don't know about any jewelry or anything that they will be purchasing. Its a bit late to put the dress on the card (would of been excellent)
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
I transferred about 5K UR miles to my Fiance's MP account since she was short for our Honeymoon award tickets. Went through fine and no further word from Chase about the transfer. It was about a month and a half ago.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:29 pm

So is there any risk transferring UR to someones United?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
There is a risk, but it seems to be small so far but greater if done several times to different UA recipients. Jatink129 has a good idea of making a big recipient an Authorized User for extra safety.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Proceed with caution. Chase is a big player in the FF game and they never forgive transgressors. UR recently added VS as a transfer partner opening the door to Virgin America. Unusual for Chase as I think all other partners are those who use Chase for their credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.