Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of issues with transfers of UR points to someone else's hotel or airline loyalty program account.

There is a separate thread to discuss transfers of UR points directly into someone else's UR account: Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.
Print Wikipost

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Or if a person has the same last name and lives in the same household, then it seems fine too, even if that person is not an AU (as per post #44 - 2 posts above this one).
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:36 pm

I had no idea the terms had changed so here's what I've done and knock on wood, to date had no problem.
Planning family trip with mother,brother, sister in law, our 2 adult children and spouse.
Since I am official family travel planner, all 5(not mother, as she doesn't have a UR acct.) have transferred their UR points, on a repeated basis over the last year to my UR account.
As I have booked travel for each member, I have topped off their UA acct. to the needed level.
No one is an authorized user on any acct. and a total of 4 different last names.
I sure can't say I am anything but lucky after reading the prior posts of problems, but I wanted to pass on I think if things aren't abused currently a transfer doesn't cause an auto shutdown. That or maybe I have just been terribly lucky!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: Far too many
Chase supervisor: no spousal transfers

Yesterday I asked a Chase supervisor whether I could:

1) Transfer UR points to my spouse's United account.
2) Transfer UR points in my UR account to my spouse's UR account.

He said no.

He added that spousal transfers ended at the end of 2012.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by travel light
The published terms still explicitly permit this, but it's not surprising that some staff members would err on the side of "No".

Account-to-Account Point Transfers:
• You may transfer Ultimate Rewards points to any other eligible credit card or debit card with Ultimate Rewards earning points, and rebates earned to a credit card earning in rebates. “Rewards” in this section means points or rebates, as applicable.
• To determine if you are earning in points or rebates, see the “Ultimate Rewards” section of your credit card statement.
Transfers may only be used to combine rewards belonging to the same individual or business in the Program; or for the purpose of enabling spouses or domestic partners to combine rewards earned in their respective names.
• If either the transferee’s or your credit card account(s) or checking account(s), as applicable, are in default at the time of the transfer, Chase will not make the transfer.
• Once rewards are transferred, they cannot be credited back.
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPC0444.pdf
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by travel light
Yesterday I asked a Chase supervisor whether I could:

1) Transfer UR points to my spouse's United account.

He said no.

He added that spousal transfers ended at the end of 2012.
This is really getting annoying. Don't they realize that Amex is their competitor?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:42 pm

I have moved points to my SO's UA / Hyatt accounts and have also transferred points from his UR account to my UR account (it was ~300 points to top off an even 1000). No problem either time. We live at the same address, but have different names and are not domestic partners. He is an authorized user on one of my accounts, as am I on one of his. While the T&Cs indicate this is "unauthorized," I'd doubt very much that they'd ever act on it.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
This is really getting annoying. Don't they realize that Amex is their competitor?
I think they're well aware of that. They're also aware that they've taken considerable marketshare from AMEX, and may very well worry that--like AMEX with MR--they've underestimated the liability of UR. It's a business, after all.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX88
I think they're well aware of that. They're also aware that they've taken considerable marketshare from AMEX, and may very well worry that--like AMEX with MR--they've underestimated the liability of UR. It's a business, after all.
Good point.

Based on the drastically cut back on UM's holiday shopping bonuses compared to last year's offering, I agree with you in the name of grabbing market share they have been over-generous on giving out UR pts and now are doing the damage control.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:53 am

Will Chase close the UR acct if
I transfer the UR points directly to my co-worker's UA account ?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by easyguy
Will Chase close the UR acct if
I transfer the UR points directly to my co-worker's UA account ?
Did you read the title of this thread??
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:16 pm

I need 20,000 UA points to hit a reward. I was going to have my mom transfer 20,000 points from her UR account to my UA account. Same last name, same address. I am NOT and authorized user to her account.

Should we be good to go?

The transfer would be coming from an Ink card.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ScootM50
I need 20,000 UA points to hit a reward. I was going to have my mom transfer 20,000 points from her UR account to my UA account. Same last name, same address. I am NOT and authorized user to her account.

Should we be good to go?

The transfer would be coming from an Ink card.
According to reports in this thread, it should not be a problem especially since your last name and address are the same and it's a UR to UA transfer (not UR to UR) - see post #44. Thus far, I don't think we've received any reports of accounts being shut down for UR to UA transfers, only for UR to UR. That said, I obviously cannot definitively tell you to go ahead and do it, although I would personally not hesitate.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:09 am

Ok so my mom has called Chase twice in the past 3 days and asked them the same question about transferring points from her UR account to my United Mileage Plus account. Both times the Chase rep said no.....can only transfer to spouse. She said even if he lives with me? They said yes, even if he lives with you.

What gives?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ScootM50
What gives?
The CRS's are accurately responding to a question about the terms. This does not mean it cannot be done, but proceed at your own risk.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:33 am

Someone in my family transferred points recently to another person's mileage account with a different last name, different address and not an authorized user. Transfer was not blocked and points were not confiscated. These types of transfers are usually instant anyway and one is not asked for the recipient's address, so there doesn't seem to be any kind of name/address matching. Whether Chase will review the transaction later and close the account in the next few months remains to be seen.

In the case of UR acct to UR account transfers, the reports have been that they close the recipient's account only. Obviously they can't close a third party's mileage account in another program so any repercussions would have to be against the transferrer. I don't think we have seen any actual reports of this happening yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.