FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1407691-official-ur-hotel-airline-xfer-only-self-spouse-domestic-partner.html)

sillypainter Nov 15, 12 2:26 pm

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

In case people are/were wondering in different threads if UR points to UA is permissible, I just noticed a new disclaimer box saying:

Important information
Ultimate Rewards point transfer features are designed to allow our cardmembers to take advantage of the rewards they earn. The features are not intended to allow transfers to third parties other than a spouse or domestic partner of the cardmember. Transfers to unauthorized third parties or any other abuse of the Ultimate Rewards program may result in suspension or termination of the ability to participate in the program and forfeiture of points already earned.

Watch out guys!

amolkold Nov 15, 12 3:44 pm

It used to be:

You can only transfer points to a frequent travel account belonging to you, your household member or an authorized user or employee.

tasnam Nov 25, 12 3:34 pm

Ok so let's work this because this applies to me....what is the definition of an authorized user?

Another Card Chase member on the primary's account?
Someone who the UR & UA has given written authorization to use their account for miles redemption?

shoreline Nov 25, 12 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by tasnam (Post 19743431)
Ok so let's work this because this applies to me....what is the definition of an authorized user?

Another Card Chase member on the primary's account?
Someone who the UR & UA has given written authorization to use their account for miles redemption?

I would suspect they are meaning 'unauthorized third party' as anyone other than the spouse or domestic partner as they have listed in the same disclaimer. It specifies who UR points are intended to be transferred to directly before using the term 'unauthorized third party'.

Explore Nov 26, 12 4:38 pm

Is this now harsher than the Membership Rewards language?

deant Nov 26, 12 5:35 pm

The real question would be if UR can have access to the other persons address. i.e. the address listed on the Hyatt or UA type accounts.

amolkold Nov 26, 12 6:50 pm

When you transfer UR to United, it asks for first and last name. Can't they just match the names?

S.Marsh Nov 27, 12 7:17 am

Does this only apply to the Sapphire Preferred card? Or is it universal across the UR system? I was planning to get the Ink cards solely for the purpose of transferring my miles to my 'employees', but if that's not possible then I have no idea what I'm gonna' do with some of my family's orphaned miles. Oh well, FML.

tasnam Nov 27, 12 7:38 am

Originally Posted by S.Marsh (Post 19752724)
Does this only apply to the Sapphire Preferred card? Or is it universal across the UR system? I was planning to get the Ink cards solely for the purpose of transferring my miles to my 'employees', but if that's not possible then I have no idea what I'm gonna' do with some of my family's orphaned miles. Oh well, FML.

Actually good question. I thought I had read it was ONLY Sapphire, but maybe now it is ALL cards...

mia Nov 27, 12 7:59 am

Originally Posted by S.Marsh (Post 19752724)
Does this only apply to the Sapphire Preferred card? Or is it universal across the UR system?

The quoted text in the original post also appears on this page:

Ultimate Rewards Frequently Asked Questions

In another question the cards which are eligible for the transfer feature are listed. There is nothing to suggest that the transfer restriction does not apply to the entire program.

S.Marsh Nov 27, 12 9:23 am

Originally Posted by tasnam (Post 19752819)
Actually good question. I thought I had read it was ONLY Sapphire, but maybe now it is ALL cards...

Man, that's really upsetting. My family has like 20K sitting in half a dozen separate accounts, and none of them have rewards cards. They're not big flyers at all, so the best thing that those miles are good for now are one-ways to South America and back. Shucks. So much for topping them off for trips to S.E. Asia.

satz Nov 27, 12 2:54 pm

How about if the person if an additional cardholder?

tasnam Nov 27, 12 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by satz (Post 19755559)
How about if the person if an additional cardholder?

Another GREAT question!!!!!

I would like to know this for a reliable source that we can verify in writing in the terms at some point

Brendan Nov 28, 12 2:53 pm

Darn it! I just saw this yesterday for the first time! I hope DC will not follow suit!

Tasnam #3, "authorized user" obviously means your choice A.: Someone who has a card which bills purchases to your account!
Even with the new language, I can't imagine that Chase would fault a primary Cardmember who transfers to a miles/ points account in his/her authorized user's name.
Darn it! I just saw this yesterday for the first time! I hope DC will not follow suit!

tasnam Nov 28, 12 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 19761958)

Tasnam #3, "authorized user" obviously means your choice A.: Someone who has a card which bills purchases to your account!
Even with the new language, I can't imagine that Chase would fault a primary Cardmember who transfers to a miles/ points account in his/her authorized user's name.

Can anyone report if they have an "authorized" user (NON same last name) with a card under their Sapphire account who has RECENTLY successfully transfered to their users account?