Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of issues with transfers of UR points to someone else's hotel or airline loyalty program account.

There is a separate thread to discuss transfers of UR points directly into someone else's UR account: Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.
Print Wikipost

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
I've transferred my UR points to other people's United accounts several times over the past two years. No issues for me, and I don't believe a single person has reported a shutdown due to such activity yet.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by bribro
I've transferred my UR points to other people's United accounts several times over the past two years. No issues for me, and I don't believe a single person has reported a shutdown due to such activity yet.
Maybe Chase is just covering themselves in case they discover someone selling a trove of points, but in the end don't mind small transfers like this.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Brendan
Thanks for those links, Philemer, but my question remains: Why does or should Chase give a hoot??
A little late on the response but if you (or anyone else) still hasn't figured this out… most loyalty programs charge an exorbitant fee to transfer/share miles. If they allow Chase to transfer miles freely to other people's account, they are basically giving away revenue w/o a fight.

Basically, gives them a backdoor to strong-arm Chase into confiscating points if they deem fit.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:13 am

nada

Originally Posted by hobotim
I follow this thread so I'll contribute my own experience too. I transferred 50k to my friend's BA account, so far nothing. I'll update if anything happens.

nothing bad has happened since that transfer and nothing bad has happened for another transfer I did recently.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:23 am

I know of 2 people that have transferred millions of UR into other united accounts last year and nothing has happened.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
True, Carsnoceans, but why should CHASE give a hoot? Furthermore, those exorbitant fees apply only to points already in a FF account.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:33 am

Hello,

I asked this question by mistake on another thread but it seems this is the right thread for this question.

My husband and I both have Chase Sapphire cards in our names. Separate individual accounts.

We want to transfer about 65K miles to our teenage son's (same last name, address etc. etc.) UA account. Can we add our son as a Auth User on any card and then transfer points to his account? Should we transfer in increments or at one time?

We are planning to close our cards since we do not want to pay the annual fee and have other cards.

Thanks,
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
No need to add hims as AU. Just transfer the points to your son's UA. Same last name + address will cause him to be seen as your Domestic Partner by any Chase employee who looks closely at your account!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
On the topic of transferring to a non-spouse...

From the last 50 posts or so, we've seen several data points for doing so with no consequence. However, what's not clear is if they transferred to just ONE individual's account(s), or that of several individuals with different last names. It might be a redder flag if you transferred to >1 person with different last names, since officially only spouse is allowed (although divorce is common these days ).

So if you've successfully transferred to >1 individual with diff last names, I would appreciate your data point (post or PM). Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:37 am

I know it's been asked before but just to be clear: what about an AU who is also immediate family (in this case, step-son/daughter) who's earned the rewards him/herself from spending? I would think it should be only reasonable that if an authorized user earns rewards with a credit card in their name (even if not the primary holder) that they should be able to transfer points to their own frequent flyer program. In this case, United. Would anyone anticipate a problem? The AU would also be given unrestricted access in this case to the UR Mall for spending, including travel booked for him/herself. Shouldn't be an issue, I would assume and hope?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by OliverB
...I would think it should be only reasonable that if an authorized user earns rewards with a credit card in their name (even if not the primary holder) that they should be able to transfer points to their own frequent flyer program.
It doesn't matter what we think is reasonable, the rules are very clear that the only exception is for spouses and domestic partners. This said, if you read the thread I do not think you will find any instance where the rule has been enforced. This does not provide any assurance that it will never be enforced as written.

Bear in mind also that points transferred to the primary cardholder's airline account can be redeemed for award tickets used by anyone.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Bear in mind also that points transferred to the primary cardholder's airline account can be redeemed for award tickets used by anyone.
I understand, but if the primary cardholder has zero balance and/or frequent flyer rewards to start with and the AU has ample to build upon, it would seem a backwards way to go.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 4:48 pm

Exclamation Sapphire UR to friend's United account

I searched FT but couldn't find much. Anyone know of a thread with data points with people that have successfully (or unsuccessfully) transferred UR points to a friend's UA account?

Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: Avis PP, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
There is a big thread here: Official: No UR points to another person's airline or hotel account
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:53 pm

Thanks for the link, I saw that post already, but was hoping for more detailed info about how many points/miles were transferred successfully before I pull the trigger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.