Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of issues with transfers of UR points to someone else's hotel or airline loyalty program account.

There is a separate thread to discuss transfers of UR points directly into someone else's UR account: Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.
Print Wikipost

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
ive successfully transferred from my moms account to mine. Different addresses but same last name.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by exmike
ive successfully transferred from my moms account to mine. Different addresses but same last name.
How long ago was this?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by friedablass
How long ago was this?
about 6 months ago
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:51 am

Chase Sapphire Preferred to another United account

Hi, I'm a university student doing an international programme in Romania this summer. My mom is going to help me out some with the ticket, and she already has a ton of United MileagePlus miles. United charges a small fortune to transfer them to another person, and I just ordered a Sapphire Preferred which will get me 40k points (not enough, unfortunately) to my own name.

I'm wondering if this will work:
- Transfer my 40k points when I get them in to my MOM'S United MileagePlus account
- Have her book a ticket in MY name for me

My friend @jamar tells me that this will work as long as I make my mom an AU on the Sapphire Preferred, is this true? Even though we live at different addresses? If necessary, I could change my address on file with Chase to her address...

Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Halfway down the second page:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...l-account.html
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Thanks for the thread but the answer still seems like "maybe" if I make her an AU it'll be okay... here's to hoping the best!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
You should be fine; AFAIK, there are no reports of Chase punishing people for doing something like this (only UR to UR transfers). And even if Chase takes issue with it, you could truthfully claim you were in fact using the points for yourself and following the spirit of their policy.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:02 pm

Okay, thank bribro, that's what I was picking up, I'll make her an AU just to be safe but it sounds like I should be OK. Thank you!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:03 pm

I've transferred points to my wife's account with absolutely no problem. This may be different, but it's worth a shot!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by alexmt
Thanks for the thread but the answer still seems like "maybe" if I make her an AU it'll be okay... here's to hoping the best!
It's a "maybe" that could result in your account being shut down.

Originally Posted by dovergator
I've transferred points to my wife's account with absolutely no problem. This may be different, but it's worth a shot!
Spouses or domestic partners are the only exception to that rule. Parents or other family members aren't covered.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by mia
While not allowed, it works, and no one has reported any negative consequences when transferring to another person's airline, hotel or Amtrak account. Negative consequences have been reported when transferring to another person's Ultimate Rewards account, and that is discussed in another thread.

I believe CherylD is asking if anyone has recent experiences to confirm that there is still no consequence.
Now that some time has passed, is it still the case there have been no reports of adverse action from Chase for transferring a small number (or any number) of UR points to a family member's FF account? Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by rrgg
Quote:

Originally Posted by mia

While not allowed, it works, and no one has reported any negative consequences when transferring to another person's airline, hotel or Amtrak account. Negative consequences have been reported when transferring to another person's Ultimate Rewards account, and that is discussed in another thread.

I believe CherylD is asking if anyone has recent experiences to confirm that there is still no consequence.

Now that some time has passed, is it still the case there have been no reports of adverse action from Chase for transferring a small number (or any number) of UR points to a family member's FF account? Thanks.
There have been no reports of closures due to this reason that I've read reported on FlyerTalk, no.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:13 pm

Three days ago I transferred 25k UR points from my Ink Bold account to my friend's UA account. My UR account has not been shut down. I'll report back if it gets shut down, otherwise you can assume that my UR account is still open.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:15 am

I follow this thread so I'll contribute my own experience too. I transferred 50k to my friend's BA account, so far nothing. I'll update if anything happens.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:38 am

I've transferred UR points to UA, BA, WN and Hyatt accounts of others in the past with no issues, and even UR to UR for a family member – my mom – not specifically approved under the programs T&Cs. All of the out-of-program transfers were relatively small, maybe 4,000-6,000 points on average, so perhaps it's only larger transfers or very frequent transfers that are liable to irk Chase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.