Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of issues with transfers of UR points to someone else's hotel or airline loyalty program account.

There is a separate thread to discuss transfers of UR points directly into someone else's UR account: Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.
Print Wikipost

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I can say this much - last week we closed my wife's Sapphire Preferred card (not same last name as mine) and transferred her points to my SP card with no problem.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:32 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by redtop43
I can say this much - last week we closed my wife's Sapphire Preferred card (not same last name as mine) and transferred her points to my SP card with no problem.
Technically within the rules of the program. Same address?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by mia
This has changed:
This is a significant devaluation in my book. Wonder if Amex has started a similar thing.

Last edited by mia; Dec 3, 2012 at 11:20 am
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
This is a significant devaluation in my book. Wonder if Amex has started a similar thing.
American Express Membership Rewards terms already restrict transfers to the frequent flyer accounts of the primary cardholder and (in the USA) the accounts of supplementary cardholders. In practice this policy is seldom enforced:

You may only convert points into a participating Frequent Customer program account held by you or an Additional CM linked to your program account.

It remains to be seen how Chase will enforce their restated policy. I would be surprised if they closed an account due to a transfer to the frequent traveler account of another cardholder on the same account, but the rule does not create an exception for anyone other than a spouse (or domestic partner).
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I suggest you read the other thread. Transfers to other people's airline and hotel accounts are now explicitly prohibited, with only an exception for spouses or domestic partners. There does not even appear to be an exception for Authorized Users (additional cardholders).
I'm not sure I see it this way. This new rule is vague, perhaps intentionally:

Transfers to unauthorized third parties or any other abuse of the Ultimate Rewards program may result in suspension or termination of the ability to participate in the program and forfeiture of points already earned.

In all honesty, I can't imagine an additional cardholder to be "unauthorized".
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:26 am
mia

Originally Posted by mnscout
This new rule is vague
It is less vague if you also read the preceding sentence which has the effect of defining who is "authorized":

Can I transfer my points to someone else's frequent travel account?

Ultimate Rewards point transfer features are designed to allow our cardmembers to take advantage of the rewards they earn. The features are not intended to allow transfers to third parties other than a spouse or domestic partner of the cardmember. Transfers to unauthorized third parties or any other abuse of the Ultimate Rewards program may result in suspension or termination of the ability to participate in the program and forfeiture of points already earned.
The best way to resolve any policy ambiguity would be to ask, several times, to see if Chase customer service's answer is consistent. This would only tell us the policy which may not be implemented consistently.

Last edited by mia; Dec 4, 2012 at 7:43 am
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by mia
American Express Membership Rewards terms already restrict transfers to the frequent flyer accounts of the primary cardholder and (in the USA) the accounts of supplementary cardholders. In practice this policy is seldom enforced:

It remains to be seen how Chase will enforce their restated policy. I would be surprised if they closed an account due to a transfer to the frequent traveler account of another cardholder on the same account, but the rule does not create an exception for anyone other than a spouse (or domestic partner).
I transferred points to an account which was not an authorized user on the original MR account last week, with no problem.
Brendan likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:27 pm
mia

Originally Posted by redtop43
I transferred points to an account which was not an authorized user on the original MR account last week, with no problem.
Understood, American Express seldom enforces this policy, but a few times each year someone reports that it did not work. Could be user error. The problem with the Chase policy is that they do not block the transfer, but instead threaten to close your account. This makes it awkward to probe.
Brendan likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
What about transferring to a frequent flier account of children? Can a parent transfer points to an adult child (with or without the same last name depending if they are married or not)? Does the child need to reside at the same address as the parents?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
This is a question for peoples personal experience:

Does Chase BLOCK the transfer or CONFISCATE the miles?

Is this specific example:
Say USER to AUTHORIZED USER's FF account ?
(Not same last name or household)

Specific's:
A Father in law, has son inlaw on credit card account as an authorized user but not same last name and not same household (but as said on credit card account)

Would Chase "LIKELY" just block the transfer and contact via say USPS mail or are they "LIKELY" to confiscate the transfered miles?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
+1 If Chase doesn't want us to transfer to others, they need only block such transfers/ make them impossible! Just as so many points programs have done. No need for confiscation nor threats thereof.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by Brendan
+1 If Chase doesn't want us to transfer to others, they need only block such transfers/ make them impossible! Just as so many points programs have done. No need for confiscation nor threats thereof.

Thanks for the support Brendan .....but I still am looking for someone's personal actual experience in this situation.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by tasnam
Thanks for the support Brendan .....but I still am looking for someone's personal actual experience in this situation.
Have you read the posts here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ccounts-5.html ? Also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coupo...l#post19811150
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by tasnam
I have done a transfer recently from UR (A) -> Airline (B) where A and B have different first and last names. If u are doing 1-2 transfers like that, it should be fine. YMMV ..
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Thanks for those links, Philemer, but my question remains: Why does or should Chase give a hoot??

Last edited by Brendan; Dec 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.