FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:22 am
jason8612
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Transferring UR to another person's airlines

I'm helping a friend of mine plan his honeymoon. They wanted to do some credit card signup to get enough miles for 2 RT tickets on UA to HNL. That should be some 160K miles.

Since I'm a 1K and they have 0 status, I was thinking of using my UA account to book their flights and then when they earn the UR from their credit card spend, that they can just send me the points to my UA account.
I've read that accounts have been closed on UR to UR transfers. Have anyone heard anything on UR to UA transfers?

Also I was thinking of having them sign up for the following cards

2x Sapphire (40K bonus each) (one card per person)
1x INK business (50K bonus)

Giving us some 130K bonuses. They are having their reception in a Hilton so they figure there will be some $10K in spend. With both cards offering double points for hotel (I think so) thats another 20K points (and should cover basically the min spend for the bonuses)
So 150K total. And the last 10K they could owe me down the line. I'm sure with the honeymoon costs and stuff 10K points won't be hard to make.

But the question comes down to how safe is it to transfer UR to a different person's UA account?

And does anyone have any thoughts on my plan for the cards?