Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Not exactly justifying, rather exploring more credible explanations for the behaviour.

The suggestion that there are crafty Asians waiting to attach themselves to other Asians travelling in business, so as to attain premium check-in privleges, seems so bizarre that I felt compelled to suggest another, simpler, explanation.

When I checked in at Ryanair's premium baggage-check counter () at Schoenefeld, a causasian woman was quick to line up behind me, but got shooed away by a queue comber. I don't for one moment think she was hoping to pass herself off as my family member or colleague - she'd simply followed my example of joining a very short queue.

To my shame I was turned back at the desk: I'd misunderstand the priority notice on my boarding pass - my very own DYKWIA moment followed by a walk to the back of a very, very long queue (where I finished up half a dozen persons behind the caucasian lady).
Yes seriously guys, cut some slack to the 'old Asian man'! Some of them may be flying for the first time in their lives! If this happened to me and I verified his story by asking him about his travels, I would probably even guest him in the lounge and give him 'a nice premium experience', let him enjoy themselves in the lounge and then fetch them to the plane.
I consider it a social service!

If it was some 20 year old with a hoodie and listening to rap music over his Bose Noice Cancelling Headphones, I would probably not give him the same treatment = )
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Not exactly justifying, rather exploring more credible explanations for the behaviour.

The suggestion that there are crafty Asians waiting to attach themselves to other Asians travelling in business, so as to attain premium check-in privleges, seems so bizarre that I felt compelled to suggest another, simpler, explanation.

When I checked in at Ryanair's premium baggage-check counter () at Schoenefeld, a causasian woman was quick to line up behind me, but got shooed away by a queue comber. I don't for one moment think she was hoping to pass herself off as my family member or colleague - she'd simply followed my example of joining a very short queue.

To my shame I was turned back at the desk: I'd misunderstand the priority notice on my boarding pass - my very own DYKWIA moment followed by a walk to the back of a very, very long queue (where I finished up half a dozen persons behind the caucasian lady).
To be fair the OP did not use the phrase "crafty Asians", and frankly I don't see any suggestion the DYKWIA's race had any specific relationship to the DYKWIA's behaviour - it was mentioned as the OP himself is Asian and that the DYKWIA perhaps moved towards him because of it.

Other than that the OP just reports what happened, and you have to accept the OP was there and we were not. Seems very strange behaviour from the DYKWIA at the very least.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
This is a dual story of some DYKWIA behaviour I witnessed, and my unfortunate failure to out-DYKWIA that behaviour. I hope by posting this I can at least partially rectify the latter ;-)

So earlier this year whilst in a queue to pick up a rental car from somewhere in Europe that I cannot even remember, a haughty entitled type worked her way up towards the front of the queue where I was patiently waiting for my turn and in a loud voice that only a British lady of a certain age can really pull off, asked each person waiting “Are you Preferred?”, presumably hoping that she could simply skip the line. I suppose that technically this might be correct, but sticking it to people who are patiently queuing always makes me feel rather uncomfortable, so I would rather wait if there is not a separate line. When she got to me I confirmed that I was actually Preferred, which clearly disappointed and confused her, and indeed caused some minor flapping, but did at least stop the relentless queue-jumping.

It was only ages later when I was well on the road that I remembered that I was in fact Avis Preferred Plus, the next tier up, and how wonderful it would have been to have said that at the time despite the obvious DYKWIA-ness. It was one of those ‘of what might have been’ moments, and I greatly regret missing out on what her reaction to that might have been.

Last edited by snuffi; Aug 11, 2017 at 6:24 am
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by solewalker
[.....]

Code:
HIDDY, BA6501, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Oh no, oh no oh no - please <insert deity of choice here>, how do I turn this off?
AlanA, mrow, Paralytic and 10 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I think priority luggage is only for the Business Plus tickets on FR... Which can be priced around normal seat, extra legroom, and luggage in the hold...
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by KARFA
To be fair the OP did not use the phrase "crafty Asians", and frankly I don't see any suggestion the DYKWIA's race had any specific relationship to the DYKWIA's behaviour - it was mentioned as the OP himself is Asian and that the DYKWIA perhaps moved towards him because of it.

Other than that the OP just reports what happened, and you have to accept the OP was there and we were not. Seems very strange behaviour from the DYKWIA at the very least.
That's an extraordinarily sunny view of the report. But there we are
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Smid
I think priority luggage is only for the Business Plus tickets on FR... Which can be priced around normal seat, extra legroom, and luggage in the hold...
Yes, as I discovered to my embarrassment!

The priority boarding could be an invitation to DYKWIA flare ups. Gates have their own immigration desks for passport checks before getting into the gate lounge. Queues can build up, especially if the flight is delayed. EasyJet has a notice inviting their priority passengers to move to the head of the queue. One brave soul attempted this at the next gate and got into a pretty nasty shouting match with non-prority people at the head of the line. Nasty enough to force him to back down and relinquish his position.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:12 am

I have real admiration for those who can read boarding cards at a glance, particularly when they manage to glean status as well as class of travel. They are up there with the ones who seem to absorb a galley pinned passenger manifest in passing .
Ha ha! Me too. I thought I was the only one not hawk-eyed (or impolite ) enough to do this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

The suggestion that there are crafty Asians waiting to attach themselves to other Asians travelling in business, so as to attain premium check-in privleges, seems so bizarre that I felt compelled to suggest another, simpler, explanation....
Not 'crafty Asians' but one crafty Asian ... who appeared to want to piggy back on the status of the fellow traveller. There was no suggestion that this example was the stereotypical modus operandi of Asian travellers.

Remember, this is supposed to be a 'fun' topic, a lighthearted poke at ourselves and the people we come in to contact with on our travels. I'm not sure the OP envisaged this topic being a place for detailed physiological analysis of the subjects and/or participants and their motives
itsmeitisss, PJSMITH0 and Jamier45 like this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Aug 10, 2017 at 8:08 am Reason: Fat fingers
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I'm not sure the OP envisaged this topic being a place for detailed physiological analysis of the subjects and/or participants and their motives
I think you must be new to this part of FT
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Good idea. I came in from TLV last night. While there is clear signage for priority boarding, a few keen folk starting queuing there (presumably because they were entitled to it) but shortly thereafter everyone joined that line, leaving the general boarding area open.

A chap walked up to the agent at the head of the queue clutching an F boarding pass and very discretely asked about priority boarding. The agent just nodded at the sign and pointed to the back of the single line. He looked a bit surprised but wandered off to the back of the queue.

Pretty poor stuff imho. I can't believe the agent thought all pax had priority boarding.
My experience of TLV (Friday afternoon flight back), but actually it was clear most people had priority boarding through the glittering tags. Flight wasn't even full but I'd say more than 70 stood queuing..
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist

(...)
It might indeed be the case Every time in my PEK-LHR commutes, there's always someone who will ask me (in Chinese) where they'll pass immigration, and invariably follow me through the fast track immigration lane. Same for the people who ask me how to get to T5C and later find me there, and follow me through the priority boarding lane. The language barrier sometimes makes it hard for the GAs to communicate that this is a priority boarding lane, and most of the times they let it slip.

Back on topic, once at the priority boarding lane in GRU there was a fellow traveler who was behind me and insisting on "policing" the line himself, asking to see my boarding pass. I thought of letting it slip because I was OWS and one would certainly have to be higher than that to even think of comparing boarding passes, but then the GA came and gave him the walk of shame because he was a OWR! :P

Then there was the "we are all oneworld, why are we different" speech...
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Just boarded the Finnair 350 to Helsinki on my way to Tallinn and was disgusted at the behaviour by the couple currently in 2D & 2H.
Unfortunately our flight left from a gate accessed by bus so there really was no rush for priority boarding however as soon as boarding group 1 was called to get the bus to the aircraft an obese couple decided that they must be the only business class passengers on the flight and almost floored me whilst pushing their way to the front.
Having read numerous similar posts but never experienced it myself I could never truly relate however I am amazed that people feel that they can physically barge people out of their way with no consideration that others may be travelling in the same cabin/have higher status than themselves. Furious
T8191, PJSMITH0 and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:24 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by JPMND
Just boarded the Finnair 350 to Helsinki on my way to Tallinn and was disgusted at the behaviour by the couple currently in 2D & 2H.
Unfortunately our flight left from a gate accessed by bus so there really was no rush for priority boarding however as soon as boarding group 1 was called to get the bus to the aircraft an obese couple decided that they must be the only business class passengers on the flight and almost floored me whilst pushing their way to the front.
Having read numerous similar posts but never experienced it myself I could never truly relate however I am amazed that people feel that they can physically barge people out of their way with no consideration that others may be travelling in the same cabin/have higher status than themselves. Furious
Lapsed joggers.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by snuffi
a haughty entitled type worked her way up towards the front of the queue where I was patiently waiting for my turn and in a loud voice that only a British lady of a certain age can really pull off, asked each person waiting “Are you Preferred?”, presumably hoping that she could simply skip the line.
The problem is that a lot of Avis locations don't have an obvious Preferred counter.

Worse case for me of this was KEF, where tired and bleary-eyed after an 'overnight' flight from JFK, I was greeted with a 2h queue at the Avis desk and no Preferred counter... though in that situation I walked up to the counter, said "I'm sorry, could you tell me where your Preferred desk is?" and was served immediately...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.