Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
LTN Phobia

One could stick that on one's forehead (after the correction of one of the two "too"s ) as a true sign of a wannabe DYKWIA.

Originally Posted by msm2000uk

I didn't want to come across as a prat, so said nothing about the fact it's actually a GGL tag
That's more of a "DWYKWIA" ("don't [really] want you to know who I am?")
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:22 am

Closest to a DYKWIA for me, my wife and I were on the day flight JFK-LHR and largely due to still being on UK time we arrived at check in really early.
We rock up to the deserted club check-in where we are are rather disdainfully looked up and down by the staff member.
Snooty BA staff member "You know this is business class check-in?"
Me "Yes I know, we are actually travelling in First but there is nobody there yet"
He was quite friendly after that although he did seem disappointed that I knew where the Concorde room was.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I put my kids' BA bag tags on their Trunki Boostapaks that they carry as hand baggage; because I like the fact they don't have personal information on them, but if they do get left somewhere there's a good chance they will find their way back to us.

Once on a SH flight the CC helped her put her bag in the overhead and saw the card. "Oh, you've got Daddy's card on your bag in case you lose it?" to which my 5yr old daughter replies "No, that's my card. Daddy's has a guh and a luh on it. But he doesn't put it on his bag." CC mooches off and I see her scanning through the manifest and then coming back and declaring her as the youngest GCH she'd ever looked after.

Not quite sure if that particular example makes my daughter DYKWIA, but asking the Easyjet stewardess how her seat turned into a bed when we were on a flight the previous year certainly does
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I too don't spend a lot of money on suitcases and prefer to use it to buy more important things, like wine.
Or plane tickets

signol
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I put my kids' BA bag tags on their Trunki Boostapaks that they carry as hand baggage; because I like the fact they don't have personal information on them, but if they do get left somewhere there's a good chance they will find their way back to us.

Once on a SH flight the CC helped her put her bag in the overhead and saw the card. "Oh, you've got Daddy's card on your bag in case you lose it?" to which my 5yr old daughter replies "No, that's my card. Daddy's has a guh and a luh on it. But he doesn't put it on his bag." CC mooches off and I see her scanning through the manifest and then coming back and declaring her as the youngest GCH she'd ever looked after.

Not quite sure if that particular example makes my daughter DYKWIA, but asking the Easyjet stewardess how her seat turned into a bed when we were on a flight the previous year certainly does
Haha
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AC 35K
I love it!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
My youngest (now a strapping 17-year old) was most put out a couple of years ago to discover that Easyjet don't do lounges...

He has done all his L/H flying in J so is already fussing about how to survive his upcoming LHR-HKG on the cheapest WT ticket

My fatherly advice ? "Suck it up, buttercup !"
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fitch
My youngest (now a strapping 17-year old) was most put out a couple of years ago to discover that Easyjet don't do lounges...

He has done all his L/H flying in J so is already fussing about how to survive his upcoming LHR-HKG on the cheapest WT ticket

or "you can always use your pocket money to buy access..."
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fitch

A legitimate complaint. After all, if Wozza2404 were his father he'd probably be lifetime GGL by now.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by meva33
Closest to a DYKWIA for me, my wife and I were on the day flight JFK-LHR and largely due to still being on UK time we arrived at check in really early.
We rock up to the deserted club check-in where we are are rather disdainfully looked up and down by the staff member.
Snooty BA staff member "You know this is business class check-in?"
Me "Yes I know, we are actually travelling in First but there is nobody there yet"
He was quite friendly after that although he did seem disappointed that I knew where the Concorde room was.
Fair play to you for the witty response. I am not sure I would have been that mentally agile that early in the morning!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:18 am
Original Member

Ha ha , my daughter did exactly the same many years ago . Arriving at our seat for an easy jet flight she said in a loud voice "where is the bed?". If I could have gone thru the floor into the hold I would have done. I'm sure I heard someone mutter "spoilt brat"
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Grammar Police - to not too in the second line.

Sheesh, DYKHTS

M
I blame my proof reader; clearly a silver with gold envy.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
A legitimate complaint. After all, if Wozza2404 were his father he'd probably be lifetime GGL by now.
LOL, perhaps I should have said "Son, I have failed you and I am truly sorry..."
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

Love it! I'm a little worried that my own daughter keeps telling everybody that we are flying 'first class' later this month. Although suspect nobody at her school believes her.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass

Thanks Wozza, I really enjoyed that laugh ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.