Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jah718
Let's not forget that Ruby's also have priority boarding.
Are they real? I thought they were a myth invented to frighten business travellers.

Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Finnair also do it well these days - with less polish than Cathay but it works. There is a visual check of the large number printed on the boarding pass next to the word 'PRIORITY' and if your group has not been called you are sent back.

Emeralds, sapphires and business are group one.
Not the last time I flew back from Helsinki, flight departed from a bus gate with no PB called and a general free for all at the gate.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Finnair also do it well these days - with less polish than Cathay but it works.
LOT, on the other hand, do it with more.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Thomathy
LOT, on the other hand, do it with more.
Yes, subtle but very witty.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:02 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
Not the last time I flew back from Helsinki, flight departed from a bus gate with no PB called and a general free for all at the gate.

It's rare for the AY flight to depart from anything other than the bus gates at HEL.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
It's rare for the AY flight to depart from anything other than the bus gates at HEL.
I've been very lucky then. Multiple LHR,TXL and MUC flights over the years and I've never had a bus gate at HEL. Unlike the joy a few days ago of my A10 departure from T5 in a driving rainstorm to YYZ on BA That BA premium experience again. But I'm guilty of taking this thread OT or maybe not :>)

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Aug 2, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by jouhka
To be honest Finnair PB rarely works.
This is my experience also.

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I've been very lucky then. Multiple LHR,TXL and MUC flights over the years and I've never had a bus gate at HEL. Unlike the joy a few days ago of my A10 departure from T5 in a driving rainstorm to YYZ on BA That BA premium experience again. But I'm guilty of taking this thread OT or maybe not :>)
I think itsmeitisss talks about HEL non-schengen departures (specifically HEL-LHR) as he talks about the AY flight. Due to the constructions at the non-schengen pier extension there are now a couple of bus gates (50A-M) for additional capacity. Whether these gates will remain after the completion of the extension, that I don't know.

Current terminal map:
https://www.finavia.fi/en/helsinki-airport/map/

Extension info:
https://www.finavia.fi/en/developmen...ent-programme/
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
I think BA has made it unnecessarily difficult to understand.

We have a queue for First/Club World/Club Europe/Gold/Silver/Emerald/Sapphire, and some members of that queue are now allowed to board before others? And the Emerald/Sapphire cards come in dozens of designs.

AA has distilled all this down to a simple annotation on the boarding card, IIRC, Priority, 1, 2, 3. That's what BA should do.

I suppose the problem is that BA wants to call out Golds and Silvers because it reminds everyone about BAEC.
I understand from recent chat that BA are indeed looking at boarding groups as an option. A very good idea in my view - the current process is complex and inconsistently applied!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:55 am

Good idea. I came in from TLV last night. While there is clear signage for priority boarding, a few keen folk starting queuing there (presumably because they were entitled to it) but shortly thereafter everyone joined that line, leaving the general boarding area open.

A chap walked up to the agent at the head of the queue clutching an F boarding pass and very discretely asked about priority boarding. The agent just nodded at the sign and pointed to the back of the single line. He looked a bit surprised but wandered off to the back of the queue.

Pretty poor stuff imho. I can't believe the agent thought all pax had priority boarding.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:29 am

I thought this was a DYKWIA thread..the last page or so belongs in the priority boarding discussion surely.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Everyone is just being too well-behaved
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by volar
I understand from recent chat that BA are indeed looking at boarding groups as an option. A very good idea in my view - the current process is complex and inconsistently applied!
BA already has boarding groups - they're called First, Club, Gold, Silver....they just need to be enforced.

The situation is not helped by those who do not agree with BA's boarding order of the various groups and try to impose their own order. I think that aspect makes this discussion very DYKWIA.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Don't they know who she is?!?

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/br...er-tirade.html
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
"Nonentity Crisis" ... we see it here occasionally too
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Now admittedly this isn't the worst DYKWIA around, but figured it was still worth a mention.

Waiting to board a flight to BCN on Saturday, lady in front approaches the desk and quite loudly says "I'm Bronze, do I get an upgrade?" - to which the ground crew remained professional and said they'd take a look before replying sorry, no, not today.

I then passed through straight after and got the red beep. To which I think the crew may have milked it just that bit more due to the previous passenger.

In fact, they milked it a bit too much by saying I'll be getting a bigger seat. To which I replied, no I won't, I'll be getting breakfast but thanks for the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.