Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KeithJenner
Just one question though. Is there the possibility of doubling up on offers with multiple cards (which would make it worth considering), or is it a one offer per Xbox deal, which makes it less attractive?
No you can create and sync a live account for each card - it's just a wee bit of a hassle
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Also I just switched my personal earning preferences to Amex MR points and Cash as I'm quite satisfied with a high 6 figure Avios balance and 2(almost 3) x 241's! I'd also like to do my first churn on the BA cards soon.

It's hotel points I want now. But free money doesn't hurt either
Oddly, I was just having a similar discussion with Mrs W. "When do you stop?".

I racked up the best part of a million Avios in the past 7 months, from the various promos, taking out all kinds of cards, the BA estore and a bit of actual flying. I've made a massive family redemption in F for March, which cost 300k Avios (after using 2 x 2-4-1) and still left me with 2/3 of my balance. Not complaining, but there's got to be a time when you say "enough is enough", and stop devoting your life to CC promos and MR offers?!

Not saying in cutting up my BA Amex or anything, but I think I'm done with churning cards for a bit. Unless the Lloyds offer resurfaces, obviously.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
I'd ask him to bring the 360 - it's quite a few years old anyway and I'm not sure the original has the same live a/c support. Tesco are doing a 'free' Xbox with Samsung 40" TVs - around £550 all-in, which is pretty impressive!
Don't tell me that. I just had 65" and 42" Samsung TVs delivered!

Ah well, I'm sure the Tesco offer wouldn't have bettered the one I got anyway.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A525 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Also I just switched my personal earning preferences to Amex MR points and Cash as I'm quite satisfied with a high 6 figure Avios balance and 2(almost 3) x 241's! I'd also like to do my first churn on the BA cards soon.

It's hotel points I want now. But free money doesn't hurt either

I racked up the best part of a million Avios in the past 7 months, from the various promos, taking out all kinds of cards, the BA estore and a bit of actual flying. I've made a massive family redemption in F for March, which cost 300k Avios (after using 2 x 2-4-1) and still left me with 2/3 of my balance. Not complaining, but there's got to be a time when you say "enough is enough", and stop devoting your life to CC promos and MR offers?!

Not saying in cutting up my BA Amex or anything, but I think I'm done with churning cards for a bit. Unless the Lloyds offer resurfaces, obviously.
Never stop, whY would you?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
I'd ask him to bring the 360
But would an original work too? (just incase I end up buying a fleabay one to hide somewhere and use purely for these free money offers?)

No you can create and sync a live account for each card - it's just a wee bit of a hassle
It's just another 4square isn't it?

Basically checking in on the xbox to get the offers, right?

I think, here is good!

Sounds very similar to my own story

If you have a Lloyds card it's probably time to cancel now that the final 2,000 bonus has been paid. Unless, of course, do a lot of foreign spend and can justify £50 a year in order to earn 2.5 Avios per £.

The later we leave it now, the more we reduce the chances of being seen as a "new customer" the next time they do the promo and that was a major problem (for us anyway) the last time.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:10 pm

But would an original work too? (just incase I end up buying a fleabay one to hide somewhere and use purely for these free money offers?)

It's just another 4square isn't it?

Basically checking in on the xbox to get the offers, right?
I'm by no means an Xbox expert, but based on these articles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox#Xbox_Live and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Live) - especially the bit saying "The service shut down for the original Xbox in May 2010." in the latter article I'd be a bit dubious about having success with the orignal Xbox! - the 360 has been out for more than 7 years now after all!

Yes, it's another 4sq but with a bit more hassle setting an a/c up.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 4:26 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by louie-m
Wouldn't surprise me if it was luck of the draw.

I spoke to You First earlier intending to retrospectively add a 2-4-1 to an existing booking and was told that I can't. I know from reading on here that plenty of people have managed it fine.

Does anyone have any tips? When to call? Who to call (You First or the general line (I am lowly blue))? What to say?
Well I tried four times without success. Just out of interest, will they have noted my booking to say "she's already been told no"?

Flight was F to Sao Paolo, our original booking on BMI to Brasilia having gone pear-shaped after TAP changed the schedule three times to two days after our original booking, even though our original flight had been reinstated. Nothing else to GRU for weeks either side. To my amazement I found a flight in C to GIG which would do at a pinch so snapped that up using the 241 instead.

Doh! Should have cancelled the GRU flights first. I thought there was no chance they would go back into reward inventory. But they did. So cancelled GIG flights and rebooked back onto original GRU flights using the 241. So I suppose all's well that ends well except we now have to get from GRU to Brasilia.

I'm having a similar debate with myself. I seem to spend so much time chasing up missing Avios (hello Lloyds - yes I will be taking you to the Ombudsman), checking balances, etc and then when I want to use them, there's no availability for where I want to go, when I want to go, despite a fair amount of flexibility. I now have enough Avios for quite a few years' travel and think I will now get myself a BA Premium Plus card and maybe alternate Gold cards with hubby, but leave it at that.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by louie-m
I'm having a similar debate with myself. I seem to spend so much time chasing up missing Avios (hello Lloyds - yes I will be taking you to the Ombudsman), checking balances, etc and then when I want to use them, there's no availability for where I want to go, when I want to go, despite a fair amount of flexibility. I now have enough Avios for quite a few years' travel and think I will now get myself a BA Premium Plus card and maybe alternate Gold cards with hubby, but leave it at that.
In going to keep my BAPP for most of my spending (should be good for 80k-100k of miles a year and a 241). I'll also get a BAPP for Mrs. W when the sign up bonus gets to something decent. I was late to the LTSBPDA party, so if another promo pops up anytime soon Mrs. W can get one of those as she didn't have one this time.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Don't tell me that. I just had 65" and 42" Samsung TVs delivered!

Ah well, I'm sure the Tesco offer wouldn't have bettered the one I got anyway.
65"!!^ I really must get out and buy myself a new (larger) TV in the January sales. I take it you have a surround sound system for that. It would be a shame not to. If not, the B&W is highly recomended
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:25 am

please could someone confirm if the tesco £10 off £50 works for petrol?

Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by mike&co
65"!!^ I really must get out and buy myself a new (larger) TV in the January sales. I take it you have a surround sound system for that. It would be a shame not to. If not, the B&W is highly recomended
Surprisingly doesn't look ridiculous either. It's the ES8000 series from Samsung; awesome piece of kit. They threw in a wireless sub and sound bar, which does the job pretty well.

The advice I was given is "look at the biggest one you'd feel comfortable buying, then buy the next size up."
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by AkhilStyle
please could someone confirm if the tesco £10 off £50 works for petrol?

Thanks
Assuming you mean the Foursquare sync deal, yes, it a Tesco Petrol purchase is valid.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Assuming you mean the Foursquare sync deal, yes, it a Tesco Petrol purchase is valid.
I've tried it twice and it's worked neither time. Two different stations, two different amex, two different forex. No idea why it works for some people and not me.

Edit: Just checked and it has posted today. Sorry! Yes it does work with filling stations.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:48 am

Easiest way round it is probably to go for a £50 Tesco giftcard then - they definitely work & can then be used at a petrol station
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Thank you! Might do the gift voucher trick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.