Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:10 pm

AMEX Platinum International Airline Program success

I was just able to take advantage of the new version of the Platinum International Airline Program and thought it might be useful to share my experience.

Next week, I need to attend a meeting in Paris... so I am making a quick roundtrip from LAX to CDG. I wanted a direct flight and wanted to fly Skyteam, so this limited my choices to Air France (or a Delta ticket flying on Air France).

I just decided to take the trip yesterday, so all the fares are pretty high with less than 7 days until I depart. Quotes from Delta, Air France, and several other sources all came out the same... at $11,044 in non-refundable Business. However, through the IAP, I was able to get the same flight, same seat, and same fare code (I) for $9,061... almost $2,000 less. Interestingly, this discount was only available on an Air France ticket... a Delta ticket still came up as $11,044.

I've tried the 2 for 1 in the past without much luck... but the new model definitely worked for this particular scenario. The ticket is still really expensive, but cheaper than the alternative. It was a little bit of a hassle to call-in to book the flight, and it really helped that I knew the exact flights I wanted ahead of time.

Since I did the booking on the Platinum card, I am also hoping it qualifies for the 5x points; the agent said that it would, but I'll wait to see if the points hit my account.
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by TJGUERO; Sep 20, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Good news that you saved some money. I just wish this was bookable on line rather than calling in. Your story and many others are in the existing thread around the IAP

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...it-2017-a.html
TJGUERO likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by TJGUERO

I just decided to take the trip yesterday, so all the fares are pretty high with less than 7 days until I depart. Quotes from Delta, Air France, and several other sources all came out the same... at $11,044 in non-refundable Business. However, through the IAP, I was able to get the same flight, same seat, and same fare code (I) for $9,061... almost $2,000 less. Interestingly, this discount was only available on an Air France ticket... a Delta ticket still came up as $11,044..
Your 18% discount is about the same I got on a HNL-AKL-HNL journey on ANZ.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:27 am

If I don't see any Premium Economy flights matching my search from amextravel.com should I even bother calling Travel Service to check for IAP? I do see the flights I want from Google Flights
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by baydude
...don't see any Premium Economy flights matching my search from amextravel.com should I even bother calling ...
Yes. IAP has nothing to do with American Express Travel, it's offered by Platinum Travel Service, and they have a Premium Economy discount program that is technically separate from IAP, but you call the same number.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I just called in about a CX flight in F and they offered about a 10% discount
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:04 pm

just a few questions about IAP..

1. I understand the discounted ticket can earn airlines miles. But for the Delta/SPG cross reward, there is a clause in T&C that booking with agency does not earn SPG starpoints even if the booking is ticketed by DL and flights are DL flight number, although Amex Travel or IAP is not listed in the T&C as travel agency. So my question is, do I earn SPG startpoints if I book DL-ticketed/marketed flights with IAP with discount?

2. Will the money spent with IAP (I believe this is charged by Amex Travel) earn 5 MR points per dollar spent? (or just 1 points)... My guess this should still earn points since this is handled by Amex Travel, but the phone agent told me this doensn't count as 5 points per dollar spent category... can someone verify?

Btw, as a data point, i phoned in to check the price, the discount is about 12%.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:00 pm
mia

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
...I believe this is charged by Amex Travel...
No, it's Platinum Travel Service which is distinct from Amex Travel:

Book or Learn More at:
1-800-525-3355 for Platinum Travel Service or

1-800-553-9497 for Business Platinum Travel Service.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No, it's Platinum Travel Service which is distinct from Amex Travel:

So, you don't earn 5 MR points per dollar if you book flight with IAP?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:17 pm
mia

So, you don't earn 5 MR points per dollar if you book flight with IAP?
Not if you have Business Platinum. Personal Platinum shouldn't matter, but others will confirm.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Not if you have Business Platinum. Personal Platinum shouldn't matter, but others will confirm.
i am using personal platinum, so if someone can confirm, i'd appreciate it...

also, does IAP booking count as travel agency booking?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:35 pm

AMEX Business Platinum's 5X benefit for air purchases applies only to purchases made online at AMEXTravel.com. These charges appear on your statement as AMEX Travel Chicago.

Air tickets purchased via an AMEX Business Platinum Travel Services live agent appear on your statement as AMEX Travel Phoenix. These are treated as 1X.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:02 pm

the T&C for personal platinum mentions eligible flights booked "via the phone by calling 1-800-525-3355 or online via amextravel.com" earn 5x points... that includes phone call to IAP, right?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:45 pm

the T&C for personal platinum mentions eligible flights booked "via the phone by calling 1-800-525-3355 or online via amextravel.com" earn 5x points... that includes phone call to IAP, right?
You are correct^
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
It is correct. I bought 2 tickets AF in first by calling that number, I have the personal Platinum Amex, got about 10% savings, and I received 5x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.