Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
AF had a sale on JFK-HKG recently, for $2,400 in business (Z). IAP was $200 less before the booking fee. I’d say that’s a win. I’ve probably had this card for 15-20 years and this is the first time using IAP. ^
I would probably call that a win too, just haven't experienced myself yet. Although, once you include the booking fee it's not a discount that gets me super excited and would cause me to pull the trigger if I was on the fence. Again, if you are for sure going on the trip then some discount is certainly better than none. But the program so far isn't causing me to generate incremental spend that I might not have otherwise done.

Regards
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
I would probably call that a win too, just haven't experienced myself yet. Although, once you include the booking fee it's not a discount that gets me super excited and would cause me to pull the trigger if I was on the fence. Again, if you are for sure going on the trip then some discount is certainly better than none. But the program so far isn't causing me to generate incremental spend that I might not have otherwise done.

Regards
Nah, the $2400 fare to HKG was what got me super-excited. And the boatload of SkyPesos (and MQM’s I’ll earn). The IAP discount was gravy. I actually booked with AF direct before it even occurred to me to try IAP. But I was able to cancel the AF ticket (<24h) and book with Amex.

I agree that I would never think of the IAP program as the *reason* to take a particular trip, but it certainly can be a reason to maintain the Plat card (among other ways of making up the annual fee).
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
When you're calling , are you giving them exact itineraries to quote, or are you letting them do the searching?
I called over a year ago and had them search, and it took them almost an hour... way too much time to be on the phone at 11pm.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Recently I had a DL TATL RT in D1 and the International Airline Program saved me about 20%, which was very nice on an expensive ticket. I booked with PTS by phone (easy as the agent seemed to know just what to do)and it appeared immediately in My Trips on delta.dumb. I got the five times membership rewards points and full MQMs/MQDs/RDMs from DL posted right on time. The PTS agent told me that it was a private fare and definitely not a bulk or consolidator fare.

I tried again for another trip where I had already found a quite good fare and the AmEx fare would have been higher. I questioned this and was told that for DL, the program includes discounts for all of the D1 classes (Z I D C and J) but only A P and F for domestic FC connecting flights, so maybe this was the problem in my example. This seemed to be some sort of a sale from DL as it was about a thousand dollars lower than when I had checked the same flights a week or so earlier. At the time, it needed to be ticketed within about a week according to the fare rules (and a normal number of days in advance for the Z fare) and availability went down pretty quickly, including for the good connections. It wasn't so special as to be mileage run or premium fare deals FT subforum territory.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Recently I had a DL TATL RT in D1 and the International Airline Program saved me about 20%, which was very nice on an expensive ticket. I booked with PTS by phone (easy as the agent seemed to know just what to do)and it appeared immediately in My Trips on delta.dumb. I got the five times membership rewards points and full MQMs/MQDs/RDMs from DL posted right on time. The PTS agent told me that it was a private fare and definitely not a bulk or consolidator fare.

I tried again for another trip where I had already found a quite good fare and the AmEx fare would have been higher. I questioned this and was told that for DL, the program includes discounts for all of the D1 classes (Z I D C and J) but only A P and F for domestic FC connecting flights, so maybe this was the problem in my example. This seemed to be some sort of a sale from DL as it was about a thousand dollars lower than when I had checked the same flights a week or so earlier. At the time, it needed to be ticketed within about a week according to the fare rules (and a normal number of days in advance for the Z fare) and availability went down pretty quickly, including for the good connections. It wasn't so special as to be mileage run or premium fare deals FT subforum territory.
Good to know about the DL fare classes. I may be trying in the near future to book some more VS PE tickets and will give PTS a shot. Will report back if/when that happens, but of course would love if anyone else already has data points.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by gooselee
Does IAP still do the 2-for-1 full fare tickets or is it now just variable discounts on single tickets?

I understand that 50% off full-fare as noted a few posts back is functionally 2-for-1, but I may have to take a last minute TATL and 2-for-1 would work better for my expense report.
Variable discounts on 1-8 tickets, all of which are revenue fares and earn miles/elite qualification. In some cases, the tickets have different restrictions; for example I was quoted a DeltaOne ticket for $600 less than the cheapest at Delta.com, and was flexible (only the $39 Amex reissue fee no Delta change fees).

Originally Posted by skydve1
When you're calling , are you giving them exact itineraries to quote, or are you letting them do the searching?
I called over a year ago and had them search, and it took them almost an hour... way too much time to be on the phone at 11pm.
When I call, I have an itinerary in mind. I've also usually done a Matrix/Google search ahead of time. I've only ever booked once with them and was glad for the savings and it paid for my AF for a few years.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by skydve1
In my experience, it's best to get the exact dates with flights numbers from Google flights, ITA, etc. and give that information to the agent and instruct them that you want to purchase this flight through the IAP program.

Telling the agent that you want J class for LAX-LHR for fall travel is not going to be an efficient or productive use of your time or the agent's.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Statman
In my experience, it's best to get the exact dates with flights numbers from Google flights, ITA, etc. and give that information to the agent and instruct them that you want to purchase this flight through the IAP program.

Telling the agent that you want J class for LAX-LHR for fall travel is not going to be an efficient or productive use of your time or the agent's.
Agreed completely. When I do call (though honestly, I've largely given up for the reasons stated in earlier posts) in I have a very specific target that I want competitive pricing on.

Regards
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Was able to get a $3618 J ticket SFO-SIN on SQ for $3267, i.e., a 10% discount. This is a great fare to begin with,* so delighted at the extra $351 savings

ETA: Despite booking this through Platinum travel services, AMEX inexplicably charged the ticket to my Premier Rewards Gold card, potentially costing me over 6500 MR points (3x vs. 5x). Took over 30 minutes on the phone to get this straightened out. They had to reissue the ticket.

*Note that this fare expires today if anyone's interested in purchasing it.
milypan and Statman like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Jul 29, 2018 at 10:11 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:44 am

Just booked two JFK-TPE-SFO business class fares using IAP on China Airlines for October 2018 travel.

Fare was $4664 on China Airlines' website, but I got it through IAP for $3826 (discount of $838 per ticket).
gooselee, Kacee, rickg523 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Just booked two RT NYC-FRA on Singapore in biz with the IAP.

Fare showed $2,412 each on Google & Amex Travel.
Through IAP booked at $2,225.21 including the fee.
Savings of $186.79 each.
Not life changing; but ill take it.

However; possibly more interesting. I had started searching out of ORD. Flights for Delta-KLM-AF were about 9k and they were quoting 6.5k. so significant savings.
I told her I was just looking for a deal. She offered that across the Atlantic; they usually have the best access to discount fares on delta and partners.
Wonder if it was accurate and if the amex-delta tie up is in effect here. They are featured prominently on amex travel on the left under airlines to sort by.

On my third call in i pulled the trigger on the above Singapore itinerary. This agent knew the lingo and booking was swift. She mentioned that they act as personal travel agents and encouraged me to call in and quote every flight- as she said- quotes are free. Then she gave me her direct extension which seems interesting. So takeaway is; if you find a good agent- ask for their extension number.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is in the fine print, but thought I'd mention here anyway because it came as a surprise to me: IAP only offers a discount for flights originating in the US (or "select" Canada gateways). So no joy for me on a BKK originating itinerary.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:22 am

Just a tip for those wanting to price IAP fares. Call the American Express Platinum Travel Services phone number (800-443-7672) rather than the general American Express travel phone number.

In my experience, the agents at Platinum Travel Services are much better than the regular agents.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Statman
Just a tip for those wanting to price IAP fares. Call the American Express Platinum Travel Services phone number (800-443-7672) rather than the general American Express travel phone number.

In my experience, the agents at Platinum Travel Services are much better than the regular agents.
I thought you had to call Platinum travel actually. Then again when I called the regular AmexTravel number for a recent hotel booking I made online, I pressed '1' for "Platinum or Centurion" and maybe it routed me there anyway.

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is in the fine print, but thought I'd mention here anyway because it came as a surprise to me: IAP only offers a discount for flights originating in the US (or "select" Canada gateways). So no joy for me on a BKK originating itinerary.
Yeah that messed me up once. If it helps for regular travels to BKK, a USA departure can be like 300-330 days away from the BKK-USA return, if you want to try to plan far ahead for next time (i.e. buy your BKK-

I don't know if it carried forward, but prior to the new program all flights must be on the same operating carrier and this limits options for open jaws. When I was doing open jaw into SYD and home from SIN (cruising between) not many options existed. I went with JL, but Amex couldn't put me on an AA-operated, JL-marketed flight.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Purchased roundtrip MSP-HND delta nonstop- (2) tickets
Travel is about 3 weeks out.

Delta Website: $7,574 total ($3,787 each)
Amex IAP: $6,678 total ($3,339 each)
Savings: $896 total ($448.5 each)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.