Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
Just a tip for those wanting to price IAP fares. Call the American Express Platinum Travel Services phone number (800-443-7672) rather than the general American Express travel phone number.

In my experience, the agents at Platinum Travel Services are much better than the regular agents.
Is this the same as calling the Platinum customer service number, then going through the menu to get to Platinum travel? Because the agent I spoke to tried to look up Kuala Lumpur under Q which really didn't inspire much confidence, and ended up quoting me a fare that was only $200 cheaper for JFK-HKG-KUL on Cathay Business. The fare I have on hold through Cathay is $5,620, IAP quoted $5,356+39 fee. It's my first time calling IAP and that was a very disappointing experience.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by suziemay
Is this the same as calling the Platinum customer service number, then going through the menu to get to Platinum travel? Because the agent I spoke to tried to look up Kuala Lumpur under Q which really didn't inspire much confidence, and ended up quoting me a fare that was only $200 cheaper for JFK-HKG-KUL on Cathay Business. The fare I have on hold through Cathay is $5,620, IAP quoted $5,356+39 fee. It's my first time calling IAP and that was a very disappointing experience.
My take on it is that while $225 isn't a big discount (<5%) but when you consider the card AF is $450-$550, it's still a good ROI - Amex is potentially saving you the price of one night in a hotel.

​​​
milypan, gooselee, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
My take on it is that while $225 isn't a big discount (<5%) but when you consider the card AF is $450-$550, it's still a good ROI - Amex is potentially saving you the price of one night in a hotel.

​​​
this is true. I didn’t pull the trigger mainly because the agent came across as a total amateur and I didn’t trust her to punch in all my details accurately. I had given her the exact flight numbers to check, it sounds like she wrote them down and then punched them in whatever system they use on their end, and off the bat she got the first flight # wrong.

She was also making a lot of small talk, including asking me if I was in college and going home for the holidays, after asking me where I lived. I guess I must be out of touch, had no idea college kids these days carry Amex Platinum cards and purchase business class fare. It was such a bizarre conversation that when I didn’t hear a sizeable discount, I was like, ok bai
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

this is true. I didn’t pull the trigger mainly because the agent came across as a total amateur and I didn’t trust her to punch in all my details accurately. I had given her the exact flight numbers to check, it sounds like she wrote them down and then punched them in whatever system they use on their end, and off the bat she got the first flight # wrong.

She was also making a lot of small talk, including asking me if I was in college and going home for the holidays, after asking me where I lived. I guess I must be out of touch, had no idea college kids these days carry Amex Platinum cards and purchase business class fare. It was such a bizarre conversation that when I didn’t hear a sizeable discount, I was like, ok bai
You could always call again if you think this agent didn't do it right. But the fact that she is quoting you a price lower than what is publicly available I think is solid evidence that she found SOMETHING better than what you'd otherwise be paying.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

The small talk thing must be part of their training because I have talked to PTS agents more than a half dozen times (only had the card 18mo) and have always come across it. Surely it helps fill the silence while searches are being conducted by the computers, and I bet some papers have been written about how it improves customer relations.

I had actually found a wonderful PTS agent and had her extension, and the next time I called her voicemail said she was on a special project and wasn't working travel anymore. Good for her, less good for me.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The fare I have on hold through Cathay is $5,620, IAP quoted $5,356+39 fee.
Sounds like there's a 5% discount on the CX base fare. I've gotten a 10% discount on the SQ base fare. I don't remember for sure what my discount was on a CI fare . . . I think it was also 10%.

I suspect we could put together a table with the IAP discounts if we gathered everyone's experiences.
The small talk thing must be part of their training because I have talked to PTS agents more than a half dozen times (only had the card 18mo) and have always come across it. Surely it helps fill the silence while searches are being conducted by the computers, and I bet some papers have been written about how it improves customer relations.
I've enjoyed my time on the phone with the PTS agents when booking IAP fares. They come across as genuinely nice and they really want to help you find a good fare.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sounds like there's a 5% discount on the CX base fare. I've gotten a 10% discount on the SQ base fare. I don't remember for sure what my discount was on a CI fare . . . I think it was also 10%.

I suspect we could put together a table with the IAP discounts if we gathered everyone's experiences.
That's a cool idea, even with the disclaimer that it surely varies, at least a ballpark is a good idea. I can add that DL was about 9% or 10% off the base fare the two times I called for quotes. Maybe this thread can be converted to a Wiki?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Hi Amex Plat owners,
I am sorry to hijack the thread but I recently got the AP 100K targeted offer and I am trying to find a good reason to grab it beside the signup bonus incentive. I am actually quite interested about the IAP for an upcoming trip to Singapore in Premium Economy but Amex would not give me a quote without being an AP card holder. I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to get a quote from Amex IAP that I can justify the $550 annual fee to the wife. Here are the 2 itineraries, for 1 traveller that I am interested in (include a ~12h layover in Hong Kong for the way back):
- Singapore Airline - $1751.52:
SFO (21 Nov @ 00:05 - SQ1) -> SIN (22 Nov @ 12:00 - SQ1)
SIN (26 Nov @ 7:35 - SQ890) -> HKG (@ 11:20 - SQ890)
HKG (26 Nov @ 23:40 - SQ2) -> SFO (@ 19:40 - SQ2)

- Cathay Pacific - $1443.57:
SFO (21 Nov @ 00:40 - CX893) -> SIN (22 Nov @ 13:00 - CX759)
SIN (26 Nov @ 1:25 - CX714) -> HKG (@ 5:05 - CX714) No Premium Eco class
HKG (26 Nov @ 19:00 - CX892) -> SFO (@ 15:20 - CX892)

If anyone has recommendations about one company above the other for Premium Eco that would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by ccsfo
Hi Amex Plat owners,
I am sorry to hijack the thread but I recently got the AP 100K targeted offer and I am trying to find a good reason to grab it beside the signup bonus incentive. I am actually quite interested about the IAP for an upcoming trip to Singapore in Premium Economy but Amex would not give me a quote without being an AP card holder. I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to get a quote from Amex IAP that I can justify the $550 annual fee to the wife. Here are the 2 itineraries, for 1 traveller that I am interested in (include a ~12h layover in Hong Kong for the way back):
- Singapore Airline - $1751.52:
SFO (21 Nov @ 00:05 - SQ1) -> SIN (22 Nov @ 12:00 - SQ1)
SIN (26 Nov @ 7:35 - SQ890) -> HKG (@ 11:20 - SQ890)
HKG (26 Nov @ 23:40 - SQ2) -> SFO (@ 19:40 - SQ2)

- Cathay Pacific - $1443.57:
SFO (21 Nov @ 00:40 - CX893) -> SIN (22 Nov @ 13:00 - CX759)
SIN (26 Nov @ 1:25 - CX714) -> HKG (@ 5:05 - CX714) No Premium Eco class
HKG (26 Nov @ 19:00 - CX892) -> SFO (@ 15:20 - CX892)

If anyone has recommendations about one company above the other for Premium Eco that would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks.
I might be able to call tonight, but I just wanted to throw this quick justification out there: 100k points is worth $1000 minimum, and in reality even Skymiles which are a low-value award program can usually be found at $0.013 each in business class, so that's $1300
Then take the AF vs credits:
$550 AF
-$200 2018 Airline credit good for AA and DL gift cards
-$200 2019 Airline credit good for AA and DL gift cards (it's calendar not membership year)
-$116 for Uber credit: It's a $200 value but if you use it on Uber Eats you pay ~$7 delivery fee per monthly order
-$100 Global Entry reimbursement

So they literally are paying you $1366 to take the card for a year; $1466 if the Saks credit helps you
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
I might be able to call tonight, but I just wanted to throw this quick justification out....
Thanks for the info.
I took the plunge and got the card which I received today based on exactly the same analysis about ROI at least on 1st year despite the lack of travel cancellation insurance. I immediately called Amex and inquired about the IAP for the specific route which came at SQ=$1,638.03 instead of $1870 (10% with fee) directly through the airline and CX=$1,279.73 (8%) instead of $1444 through the airline, not including the $39 Amex ticketing fee. The fare rules are a bit different in such that Amex is non-refundable ticket with cancellation fee equivalent to the airline. I was not sure what it meant but Amex said I can cancel for the fee and the taxes will be refunded but the ticket base fare will be credited to my account through Amex to be redeemed on same airline. Not the best deal but no bad either.
CX would be all legs on new A350 and SQ all legs on 777-30ER. I am leaning toward SQ for schedule preference for my layover in Hong Kong but not set yet. Do any of you guys would suggest CX instead.
Gig103 likes this.

Last edited by mia; Oct 3, 2018 at 1:40 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:26 pm

Sweet, your $1366 is now $1598
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:25 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
That's great if you need the flexibility. Out of curiosity, did you ask for J specifically or was that just what they offered? In other words, do you think they discounting D/I also (not by as much)?
Sorry for the late reply but discounted subfares were zeroed out as this was a pretty last minute trip that needed to be booked. CX was only selling J subfare then.

If I recall from other instances, D/I fares were usually discounted by approx 10% but I haven't had luck with an ex-PEK fare that I'm trying to sort out as of now; in fact, AMEX is charging a bit more than what CX is after their FX rates plus 39 booking fee
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hl176
I haven't had luck with an ex-PEK fare that I'm trying to sort out as of now; in fact, AMEX is charging a bit more than what CX is after their FX rates plus 39 booking fee
IAP only applies to fares originating in the US or Canada. I'm surprised the agent didn't tell you that.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:32 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
IAP only applies to fares originating in the US or Canada. I'm surprised the agent didn't tell you that.
Good to know; thanks for the heads up
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:44 am

It appears that you can now inquire about IAP fares via chat instead of having to call directly.

mia, swaigiux, 747FC and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.