Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by chrisremo
What's the wait usually like when calling into the IAP?

I'm trying for the first time and I've already been on hold for a full hour with no estimated time given.
It's been a 50/50 for me, half the times I get connected instantly, the other half I have to wait for a while, both times I've had to wait have been on weekends though.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I've got two separate charges: one for the ticket that just reads "American Express", and the other "AMEX Travel Agency" for the $39 charge.
And you got 5x points for both "American Express" and "AMEX travel agency" charges (for charging both to personal platinum)?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:08 am

another question is: if i get IAP discount on Delta-ticketed/marketed flight, will it be eligible for SPG crossover reward (i.e. earn SPG points for each dollar spent on the flight)?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by helsitif
It's been a 50/50 for me, half the times I get connected instantly, the other half I have to wait for a while, both times I've had to wait have been on weekends though.
I ended up waiting an hour and 40 minutes, after which time I finally spoke to an agent and at the end of the day it didn't even seem that there were any discounts available on BA premium economy, at least for the routing and general date range I wanted.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAP saved me ~$750 on two r/t Z/J tix on AF/KLM to Athens. $6250 from AF, $5500 from IAP.
$750 is about what our Platinum cards cost. Without IAP, I would question Platinum's value for us.
I did like the previous IAP because the tix were full fare, fully refundable (and even on BA allowed seat selection at purchase).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
Hmm. When I called them twice last summer I was connected instantly to an agent.
my experiece too
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just bought a biz ticket from JFK-LIM r/t on LATAM. Prevailing price was $3,150, bought it from Amex with IAP for $1,620 + $39. Wow!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Just bought a biz ticket from JFK-LIM r/t on LATAM. Prevailing price was $3,150, bought it from Amex with IAP for $1,620 + $39. Wow!
Wow! Not bad... and maybe I should look into this, I don't travel international a lot in Biz/F so I've never used IAP... I'm curious how it works, or what works best. Should I do my homework first and figure out the best flights (cheapest from what I can see publicly) and then call and feed those specific flights to the phone agent... or do they have the flexibility for me to just say "Hey, I'm interested in going to Japan in October for 7 days, what's the cheapest Biz/F ticket?" and have them find the cheapest. (Obviously I would be at a computer to double check to see if the fare was actually much of a savings off what I could buy)

Almost all my travel is personal and usually is booked far enough in advance that I'm totally flexible, so I very well could make whatever they put together work for me by just saying how many days where and during what month, maybe give them a specific carrier, but honestly that usually isn't too big of an issue either...

Does 5x travel count with buying the IAP booked tickets? Are these special fares that don't earn miles/segments with airlines, or are they usually pretty standard tickets?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by acarney
Wow! Not bad... and maybe I should look into this, I don't travel international a lot in Biz/F so I've never used IAP... I'm curious how it works, or what works best. Should I do my homework first and figure out the best flights (cheapest from what I can see publicly) and then call and feed those specific flights to the phone agent... or do they have the flexibility for me to just say "Hey, I'm interested in going to Japan in October for 7 days, what's the cheapest Biz/F ticket?" and have them find the cheapest. (Obviously I would be at a computer to double check to see if the fare was actually much of a savings off what I could buy)

Almost all my travel is personal and usually is booked far enough in advance that I'm totally flexible, so I very well could make whatever they put together work for me by just saying how many days where and during what month, maybe give them a specific carrier, but honestly that usually isn't too big of an issue either...

Does 5x travel count with buying the IAP booked tickets? Are these special fares that don't earn miles/segments with airlines, or are they usually pretty standard tickets?
i would do both. Print out a few options you like just for reference but when you call just tell them where and about when you want to fly. In my case I usually have a specific route and dates I want but in your case you have more flexibility.

Ive been more than impressed with the agents I have talked to. They have always offered lower cost alternatives, even if I declined them.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by acarney

When I booked my Delta flight through IAP I got 5x points for that purchase, and that flight also showed up on my Delta dashboard right away and looks like a normal Z fare ticket, I am flying it next week so I will confirm here if I do earn MQMs and MQDs.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by helsitif
When I booked my Delta flight through IAP I got 5x points for that purchase, and that flight also showed up on my Delta dashboard right away and looks like a normal Z fare ticket, I am flying it next week so I will confirm here if I do earn MQMs and MQDs.
Out of curiosity, can you also see a receipt on DL.com? Does it just show a lower base fare than what is available through normal/public booking channels?

I see the DPs on this thread saying 5x MR earnings and (usually) full MQM/RDM earnings...I'm more just curious how the discounts work on the back-end.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Out of curiosity, can you also see a receipt on DL.com? Does it just show a lower base fare than what is available through normal/public booking channels?

I see the DPs on this thread saying 5x MR earnings and (usually) full MQM/RDM earnings...I'm more just curious how the discounts work on the back-end.
Yes, I can see my receipt on delta.com (and it also shows up in the app) It just shows a lower base fare than I was able to find publicly when I was searching for my flight. Everything else looks exactly the same as for every delta ticket I've ever bought directly from them, so it seems like they just are given a lower base price for a normal ticket. I fully expect to get my MQD's based on the lower price.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:41 am

Another data point. Used IAP for 2 business class tickets LAX-ICN.

Google flights was quoting roughly $3800 each on Asiana and IAP got the same tickets for me for $3200 each.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:13 am

BTW, as a follow up, I took my flight and I indeed got my expected amount of MQMs and MQDs credited to my delta account right away, so in all respects these are perfectly normal tickets, just cheaper.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I booked ORD-BKK on Qatar yesterday using IAP. The process was a little rocky. The agent had to verify my Schwab Platinum card was eligible and somehow managed to charge the wrong card (my Blue Sky and Platinum cards both have the same last 4 digits). I managed to get the correct card charged and in the end saved $330.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.