Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Colin
tickets booked with the AMEX Biz Plat via a AMEX Travel telephone agent do not count as 5x.
all IAP bookings must be via an AMEX Travel telephone agent.

tickets booked with the AMEX Biz Plat via AMEXTravel.com self-service do count as 5x.
Thanks. So it seems the choice is between a better price on the tickets or the 5x points? (ETA: Called and got the answer: YES)

Last edited by eerickso; Dec 10, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eerickso
It seems like I'm reading conflicting info here (or just misunderstanding what I'm reading.) Thanks.
It's because some posters have not been clear about the Business vs. personal card. The 5x points benefit is more restricted on the Business Platinum than the personal Platinum. For personal Platinum, you can book direct with the airline or via AMEX Travel and get 5x. With Business Platinum you must book through AMEXtravel.com to get 5x.
akcae likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's because some posters have not been clear about the Business vs. personal card. The 5x points benefit is more restricted on the Business Platinum than the personal Platinum. For personal Platinum, you can book direct with the airline or via AMEX Travel and get 5x. With Business Platinum you must book through AMEXtravel.com to get 5x.
Ahhh, got it. Thanks for the explanation. I hadn't realized that.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I just checked my statements and can confirm that you do indeed get the 5x bonus points when booking through this program.

I spoke to two agents on my recent booking (I needed to hold before purchasing): the first one was fantastic; the second...sounded new to making reservations but still nice enough.

Now I do agree that the Amex Travel website is not the best but I always check it anyway, just in case there's a deal.
TEDisGone and Gig103, you were right: I just saw I got the 5X points and it makes this deal super valuable now!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by af fp
TEDisGone and Gig103, you were right: I just saw I got the 5X points and it makes this deal super valuable now!
Which version of the card do you have? Personal or Biz?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
Which version of the card do you have? Personal or Biz?
Personal.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:30 am
Suspended

Called yesterday to compare a BA $20k quote for two business class tickets to Germany next year. They offered the same flights for $16k so I was happy to book with them.

Took a while since they had to create a profile for two people but well worth it.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QtownDave
Called yesterday to compare a BA $20k quote for two business class tickets to Germany next year. They offered the same flights for $16k so I was happy to book with them.
Took a while since they had to create a profile for two people but well worth it.
$20K (even $16K) for 2 BA Business Class tickets?? That's crazy. What was your route and when are you traveling?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
$20K (even $16K) for 2 BA Business Class tickets?? That's crazy. What was your route and when are you traveling?
PHL - DUS (LHR layover) in Oct 2018. All the prices were crazy high.

Didn't mention it because its not relevant to the Amex program but we used most of our million+ points so the actual cost was about $5ish. BA First class would have been $4K higher but while nice the only time I was upgraded to it I didn't think it was worth it since I find their Business seats pretty good.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PHL - DUS (LHR layover) in Oct 2018. All the prices were crazy high.
That is an insanely high price to pay for any Business Class, or even First Class.
If you wait for one of the frequent sales, you could get that ticket for under $3k each.
There is absolutely no reason to book October flights to Europe right now. There will always be seats.
If you are within the cancellation grace period for non-refundable tickets or even if they are tickets are refundable, I would cancel and wait for a better deal.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
That is an insanely high price to pay for any Business Class, or even First Class.
If you wait for one of the frequent sales, you could get that ticket for under $3k each.
There is absolutely no reason to book October flights to Europe right now. There will always be seats.
If you are within the cancellation grace period for non-refundable tickets or even if they are tickets are refundable, I would cancel and wait for a better deal.
Travel to Europe a few times a year in Buss Class and have never seen under 3K but then again I also book the schedule I want instead of the cheapest so you may be right. As for booking now for Oct, we have very specific time requirement and our accountant insisted to book everything this year due to the our tax situation and the upcoming changes.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Travel to Europe a few times a year in Buss Class and have never seen under 3K but then again I also book the schedule I want instead of the cheapest so you may be right. As for booking now for Oct, we have very specific time requirement and our accountant insisted to book everything this year due to the our tax situation and the upcoming changes.
I don't think you're getting a tax deduction on that since you paid with points . . .
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
I don't think you're getting a tax deduction on that since you paid with points . . .
American Express Pay with Points transactions are billed to the card the same as any other purchase. Then, points are redeemed to offset the charge (in part, or in full), and a credit transaction also appears on the card. The airline would see this as a normal ticket purchase, and there would be a receipt for the amount paid. The accountant would need to decide how to record the reimbursement.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Yes. We were charged the full amount with a credit promised later, hopefully its next year. But the accountant is well paid to do what he does and having survived one audit he seems to know what's what.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. We were charged the full amount with a credit promised later, hopefully its next year. But the accountant is well paid to do what he does and having survived one audit he seems to know what's what.
With Pay With Points, there is no way that the credit will appear next year. Indeed, your points offset typically credits immediately once the charge is posted. Check your card activity. You should see a $16,000 charge and then an $11,000 credit. And your MR point balance should be reduced by 1,100,000 points. Your accountant may have helped you survive an audit but if he/she is suggesting that you can take a $16,000 deduction while at the same time getting a mileage credit for most of that, you may want to seek a second opinion. As an aside, unless you have a Business Platinum card and get a 35-50% points rebate, a 1 cpm per mile redemption rate is terrible.

I just can't wrap my head around anyone spending $8,000 for BA Business Class, one of the worst products on the planet. Even $8,000 for BA First Class is way too much. Yes, I know your trip is time sensitive but it's not like you are trying to get to some third world backwater village with only one daily flight. There are literally dozens of ways to get to DUS and will still be 8 or 9 months from now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.