Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olouie
So far I am seeing business class and first class discounts of around 10-15%. Nothing for premium or regular economy (which are often actually more expense with Amex IAP).
The IAP was only ever marketed as being for First/Business class fares (although the new IAP looks like it does include PE).
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Amex MR, Chase UR
Read through the whole thread but can't verify whether the 35/50% Pay with Points rebate works with IAP?

Can anyone confirm a successful rebate?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by stevenou
Read through the whole thread but can't verify whether the 35/50% Pay with Points rebate works with IAP?

Can anyone confirm a successful rebate?
I confirm😊
akcae likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
I confirm😊
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:56 pm

Yes rebate works, but it wasn't automatic for me. Had to wait a full 12 weeks then call in to get the rebate.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:00 pm

it was automatic & normal for my IAP Aug 2017 issued KL-flights DL-ticketed Z-fare tickets at 1 month plus 1 day after ticketing.

exact same timeframe as AMEX.com online business class tickets

Last edited by Colin; Dec 2, 2017 at 12:35 pm
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Amex IAP: Are EQD's/EQM's treated 100% ?

Does anyone know if the cost/price of the ticket go towards our EQD when you go through IAP? Meaning, If I pay 4K for a ticket, I will get the full 4K of EQD's and not a small percentage of that ( I know that taxes aren't included for EQD's ). Same with the EQM's, meaning the booking code is J, and I'll get J but not some strange "Bulk" discount code meaning all "J's" are treated like "D's" when booked through Amex IAP?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Bad Program or Bad Experience?-

A few months ago, I had posted about a great discount on a quoted booking, HNL-AKL return on Air New Zealand.

Today, I was investigating another possible trip to NZ, and was quoted a price of >$10k PER TICKET. When I checked the ANZ on line portal, my per ticket fee was quoted as $4300.

I'll HUACA tomorrow....
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Can anyone confirm if IAP fares are earning relevant EQDs in their respective programs? I’m part of AA, and while they don't participate, I am curious if purchasing a CX ticket and then crediting to AA will get my respective EQMs and EQDs.

Any experciences?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
EQDs and EQMs on partner airlines for AA status are based on distance flown and fare class. Price paid is irrelevant.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp

I earned $6,500 EQDs and almost 40,000 EQMs on a <$1000 partner mistake fare.

I can't speak to any other airline programs.
akcae likes this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Dec 5, 2017 at 2:02 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by margarita girl
EQDs and EQMs on partner airlines for AA status are based on distance flown and fare class. Price paid is irrelevant.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp

I earned $6,500 EQDs and almost 40,000 EQMs on a <$1000 partner mistake fare.

I can't speak to any other airline programs.
Well the fact the airline recognized the miles is enough for me. I was worried these fares would be classed as bulk or consolidator ... many times those types are excluded from any mileage accrual regardless of the airline.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:01 pm

I'm new to AmEx Business Platinum and have just read through this entire thread. I'll be booking two F or C tickets to Europe soon and am confused about AmEx Travel vs. the IAP. Do they both earn 5x miiles on bookings? It seems like I'm reading conflicting info here (or just misunderstanding what I'm reading.) Thanks.

Last edited by eerickso; Dec 9, 2017 at 6:16 am
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by eerickso
I... confused about AmEx Travel vs. the IAP. ....
Are you simply paying with money or redeeming points to offset some or all of the cost? (called Pay with Points )
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:34 pm

tickets booked with the AMEX Biz Plat via a AMEX Travel telephone agent do not count as 5x.
all IAP bookings must be via an AMEX Travel telephone agent.

tickets booked with the AMEX Biz Plat via AMEXTravel.com self-service do count as 5x.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by mia
Are you simply paying with money or redeeming points to offset some or all of the cost? (called Pay with Points )
Likely paying all cash since I have few points accumulated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.