Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by helsitif
That is less clear... I checked around and the IAP (or platinum travel services) are not explicitly mentioned anywhere I could find on the information regarding additional cardmember benefits. The most complete chart I could find on my account shows up when trying to add someone and even that doesn't list it, so I guess someone needs to call amex and ask.
Agree that just calling PTS and asking is your best bet (or even better, having the AU just call and start a booking - see how far they get).

If I had to bet on it, I would actually assumed that AU Platinum cards are entitled to IAP benefits, since they have access to PTS and all the other things that go along with it (most notably FHR). I can't see Amex having to set up rules for PTS telling them they can book some things for some people, but not others.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by golfingboy
FWIW I used IAP to book Cathay premium economy ORD-SIN saving $195 off the regular price ($1418 vs $1613) minus the $39 fee.

I have a question - the terms seem to indicate that the only requirement is the entire fare is purchased with an Amex Platinum or Centurion card. Does this mean I can book on behalf of someone or I must be in the traveling party in order to use this benefit?
Are you sure that one is required to pay with a Plat/Centurion charge card or (as with the FHR program) any AmEx card in the Plat/Centurion cardholder traveler's own name?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:45 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure that one is required to pay with a Plat/Centurion charge card or (as with the FHR program) any AmEx card in the Plat/Centurion cardholder traveler's own name?
It’s the latter - you are right.

To receive discount, the purchase of the qualifying First, Business, or Premium Economy Class ticket/s on a participating airline must be made over the phone through American Express Travel (Platinum Travel Service, Business Platinum Travel, or Centurion Travel Service) and paid in full with an American Express Card in the U.S. Platinum Card Member’s or U.S. Centurion® Member’s name.
MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy
What about Authorized Users? Are they considered card members?
As others said, calling PTS will give you the correct answer. But *in general* Amex fairly consistently uses the term "primary card member" when discussing benefits not extended to AUs and "card member" when discussing benefits extended to AUs.
golfingboy likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:10 pm

I was able to book 2 tickets for my parents using their AU cards with no problems. Just call in and they will confirm you have an account but no issues. Very lucky that I had gotten them AU cards as I was able to save $500 each on 2 QR flights from NYC-SIN.
Statman and Gig103 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:20 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Was quoted approximately 50% off (vs CX's website) for a full fare J class ticket (J fare) via IAP

Basically, discounted price was similar to a D/I fare when available, not bad
milypan and Gig103 like this.

Last edited by hl176; Jul 14, 2018 at 3:35 am
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by hl176
Was quoted approximately 50% off (vs CX's website) for a full fare J class ticket (J fare) via IAP

Basically, discounted price was similar to a D/I fare when available, not bad
That's great if you need the flexibility. Out of curiosity, did you ask for J specifically or was that just what they offered? In other words, do you think they discounting D/I also (not by as much)?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:47 pm

Amex IAP was 11% higher. Was quoted 11% higher (about $3000 more) for 5 first class tickets on very nice lie flat seats on 777-200 in 2019 for round trip transatlantic flight with British Airways...BA website was the best price. Only had the platinum a few months now...may cancel it, that was the main reason considered keeping it with the high annual fee. Thinking will get chase sapphire reserve out of safe box and resume using that...They checked a few days +/- and was the same...BA was best price.

Thought maybe it was unique to BA...so we have another flight we plan on needing in 2019...Called Amex AIP back for a quote for 5 tickets on Air France one-way business class from Italy to France...AirFrance website was $2800 and Amex AIP was $3400, or 24% higher.

Disappointed...the agents with AIP were very friendly...but the AIP quoted prices were bad.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by glbl
Amex IAP was 11% higher. Was quoted 11% higher (about $3000 more) for 5 first class tickets on very nice lie flat seats on 777-200 in 2019 for round trip transatlantic flight with British Airways...BA website was the best price. Only had the platinum a few months now...may cancel it, that was the main reason considered keeping it with the high annual fee. Thinking will get chase sapphire reserve out of safe box and resume using that...They checked a few days +/- and was the same...BA was best price.

Thought maybe it was unique to BA...so we have another flight we plan on needing in 2019...Called Amex AIP back for a quote for 5 tickets on Air France one-way business class from Italy to France...AirFrance website was $2800 and Amex AIP was $3400, or 24% higher.

Disappointed...the agents with AIP were very friendly...but the AIP quoted prices were bad.
Yep, I have never found them to be cheaper.

However if you are spending so much on airfares the 5x should be pretty good $30,000 x 5MR = 150,000 MR points, almost enough for a rountrip to Japan on SQ First Class. That would net you 90,000 UR points on the CSR that would transfer to 90,000 SQ miles only.
IndyHoosier and roundtree like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just called AMEX Travel Services today to check pricing on a TATL for next June.
This is 3 adults, business class, quoted on the airline website at 11,730 USD.
IAP price is 10,285 (including booking fees). I booked it.
But....I was initially quoted 10,923. I felt that was slim savings, so I questioned it. Turns out that the agent didn't price through IAP and when I asked, she repriced it.
As with all ATS interactions, the first thing they ask is your card number to access your account. So it was clear I was holding a Platinum card. Though I didn't ask, I wondered why she had priced the tickets outside of the IAP.
I post this as a caution. The price quoted may not be through the IAP. Confirm that.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Does IAP still do the 2-for-1 full fare tickets or is it now just variable discounts on single tickets?

I understand that 50% off full-fare as noted a few posts back is functionally 2-for-1, but I may have to take a last minute TATL and 2-for-1 would work better for my expense report.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Yep, I have never found them to be cheaper.
Agreed. I know many here have stated that they have gotten value from this program and I believe them, but I have called in with numerous itineraries, on different airlines, to different places and have never found a good deal.

One thing I've considered is that we are primarily leisure travelers, so always watching for good sales. This means I'm often calling to see if I can get a better price than an already good sale price and they just might not be able to beat that. However, if someone has to travel and there isn't a sale going on, perhaps Amex is able to get a better deal relative to a non-sale price.

Regard
mia likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
Agreed. I know many here have stated that they have gotten value from this program and I believe them, but I have called in with numerous itineraries, on different airlines, to different places and have never found a good deal.

One thing I've considered is that we are primarily leisure travelers, so always watching for good sales. This means I'm often calling to see if I can get a better price than an already good sale price and they just might not be able to beat that. However, if someone has to travel and there isn't a sale going on, perhaps Amex is able to get a better deal relative to a non-sale price.

Regard
IAP has to save me at least the cost of membership plus associates ($725 a year) on travel I would be booking for money in any event or I won't renew the Platinum Card. So far, including the old program, they've exceeded that every year, often by thousands. My targets are always business TATL from the West Coast, an expensive ticket on the open market, so YMMV.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:58 pm

Booked a business D ticket on SQ through IAP. The discount was 10%
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AF had a sale on JFK-HKG recently, for $2,400 in business (Z). IAP was $200 less before the booking fee. I’d say that’s a win. I’ve probably had this card for 15-20 years and this is the first time using IAP. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.