Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:14 am

Was told by an agent this wknd that economy seats are available for this program on certain routes/airlines.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Any experience on how American fares are pricing? .
Separate program, discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-aa-com.html

Originally Posted by Troopers
Was told by an agent this wknd that economy seats are available for this program on certain routes/airlines.
Is this unexpected? It's a published feature of the program:

Originally Posted by ryannel
Available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by mia
Is this unexpected? It's a published feature of the program:
Economy (not premium economy) is a surprise to me.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:59 am
mia

Originally Posted by Troopers
Economy (not premium economy) ...
Quite right, my mistake.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia
...the open question is whether it will include cross-border flights to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean.
I just received a promo email for my Canadian Amex Plat card and it clearly stated the new expanded Canadian version of the IAP is available on domestic (Canada), trans-border (Canada-US) and International itineraries.

I surmise the similar for the U.S. issued Plat.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jul 8, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I called yesterday for an itinerary I'm considering for the fall. The cheapest was DL, and came in $900/pp cheaper than ITA Matrix found for a discount business ticket.

I wasn't ready to book so I didn't get the exact fare bucket/code, but I was also told that it could be cancelled if necessary. When I pressed this point, the agent said it isn't a guaranteed condition of the IAP (I was hoping, that would have been cool).
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:32 pm

Have people used MR points to pay for IAP program (and if yes, have they successfully gotten the 50% or 35% rebate back also)?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended

I hope Canadian AMEX cards will get this benefit too !
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CardMaster
I hope Canadian AMEX cards will get this benefit too !
The Canadian plat got it about a week ago.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by reclusive46
The Canadian plat got it about a week ago.
But the carriers identified as participating in the Canadian program seem to differ from the US program. OS,LX, SN,and LH are listed as participating in the Canadian program, for example.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Is this the telephone number to call to access the Platinum deals:

Platinum Travel Service: 1-800-801-6564

https://www.americanexpress.com/laci...lservice.shtml
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:17 am
mia

This is not an American Express (USA) site. That's the site for International Dollar Cards for Latin America, Caribbean and Bermuda.

I would use these numbers:

Book or Learn More at:
1-800-525-3355 for Platinum Travel Service or

1-800-553-9497 for Business Platinum Travel Service.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mia
This is not an American Express (USA) site. That's the site for International Dollar Cards for Latin America, Caribbean and Bermuda.

I would use these numbers:
Thank you v
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:01 pm

another success story. had been watching a JL biz fare for a while. ota's and JL website had it at $2644. PTS was able to get it for $2373 plus the $39 booking fee. verified the fare classes and itin and everything; exactly what i wanted.

all of my intl premium travel with my gf is on miles but all of my paid intl premium travel is just me so this program change is positive for my situation.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:25 pm

KLM LAX-AMS-LAX nonstop discount J for next May

$4093 on KLM.com
$3532 via AMEX Platinum Travel (includes $39 ticketing fee)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.