Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Getting the impression that instead of renaming the Alaska Board Room to the Alaska Lounge it seems fairly obvious from reading this thread that the name should have been Priority Pass and Guests Lounge. Maybe a new sign is needed for out in front: AL members are subject to space availability, PP users have priority (hence the priority pass name)
Old May 4, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Wow, people are really getting up in arms about PP losing guest privilege. I don't mind losing guest privilege since I know that I didn't pay for lounge membership to AS and I don't have AS lounge membership. He'll, I didn't even pay for PP, I have a credit card benefit of PPS. If I had AC membership through citi exec and lost some privileges that would be something, since it is direct lounge membership, but PP, that's an agreement between PP and AS.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by ctporter
Getting the impression that instead of renaming the Alaska Board Room to the Alaska Lounge it seems fairly obvious from reading this thread that the name should have been Priority Pass and Guests Lounge. Maybe a new sign is needed for out in front: AL members are subject to space availability, PP users have priority (hence the priority pass name)
🤣 why not just make it a priority pass lounge, oh wait, that's the club.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
If you were hoping to bring food out to your family that doesn't fall under "travelers on the go".

This reminds me of a Reddit post the other day... the OP mentioned that it was obnoxious for AS to not allow guests anymore and how they had to go to The Club at the other side of the airport. When asked how many were with him, their reply? A total of SIX.
i eat a lot. And breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sbedelman
Not true.

PP is as much a customer of AS as anyone. They both paid for access to the club. If there is an obligation to provide access to one group over the other that would be spelled out in the agreement which I've not seen and I suspect none of us have.

What we know is that PP said that clubs can be closed to PP cardholders under certain conditions. We don't really know what those are, nor whether there a limits on how long or often these period are permitted to be. What we do know is that there was no mention of PP unilaterally and retroactively reducing the benefit of a card from including guests to excluding them for certain locations.

As to whether PP and PP cardholders are customers of AS, of course they are. Did AS agreement with PP allow them to remove guesting privileges? We don't know. Did PP disclose they reserved the right to cancel guesting privileges.

NO.
Does PP pay AS a fixed amount (independent of per-guest-fee) for participating in PP? If not, then perhaps the denied PP customer is not as much of a customer of the AS lounge as an AS lounge member who has already paid for lounge access.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hiima
Wow, people are really getting up in arms about PP losing guest privilege. I don't mind losing guest privilege since I know that I didn't pay for lounge membership to AS and I don't have AS lounge membership. He'll, I didn't even pay for PP, I have a credit card benefit of PPS. If I had AC membership through citi exec and lost some privileges that would be something, since it is direct lounge membership, but PP, that's an agreement between PP and AS.
I am not getting up in arms about it; the AS lounge is not really worth it (for me).

But I disagree that I didn't pay Amex and Chase for the PP cards. Just because it doesn't come with a fixed known fee paid directly by me to PP doesn't mean that some of my money paid to the bank doesn't find its way into the hands of PP.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA1K
PP isn't a high priority for me. if i can get into one of the AS lounges, great. if not, i have other options (UA or centurion). while i like going into them, there are plenty of other options to get food/drink at SEA, PDX, and LAX.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Hey AS and PP can make whatever rules they want. My beef is that the rules are changing all the time and vary down to every lounge/location. It's not good practice to sell a product subscription and then change what you are getting all during the subscription. Fortunately the credit cards have been good about giving you retroactive prorated refund on annual fees so if you don't like it you can get out, but it is still not customer friendly at all.

As for PP, clearly they don't have the leverage to set a common set of rules and tell the lounges it is all or nothing. They are desperate at this point and are willing to become a standby / space available only service, so they need to advertise themselves as such. I would expect consumer complaints to be stacking up against them.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AS
What he said...^
Old May 4, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by dmodemd
As for PP, clearly they don't have the leverage to set a common set of rules and tell the lounges it is all or nothing. They are desperate at this point and are willing to become a standby / space available only service, so they need to advertise themselves as such. I would expect consumer complaints to be stacking up against them.
For what it is worth, I've never been denied access to a PP lounge; I have entered lounges and immediately left due to overcrowding for example the KE NRT lounge. This said, I usually have dual access.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
For what it is worth, I've never been denied access to a PP lounge; I have entered lounges and immediately left due to overcrowding for example the KE NRT lounge. This said, I usually have dual access.
So the reason why I am b*tching so much is I fly SEA-DFW almost exclusively. A year ago I could get into lounges in both places all the time with no problem and (until 5/1) I was down to rarely being able to get into a lounge with PP [without a long walk down A terminal].

I certainly saw it coming with the Citi and Chase PP partnership but it has hit me in particular pretty dramatically. I am back to glad that at least I can get in to SEA AS lounges on my own now but DFW is still a problem (that's another story).
Old May 4, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
In the AL at the N gates now (2:38pm) and there is about 2 small tables open in the back, two stools open, and nothing else... Just overheard them turning away two PP members, told them to go to the A gates for the lounge over there that accepts PP
Old May 4, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
In the AL at the N gates now (2:38pm) and there is about 2 small tables open in the back, two stools open, and nothing else... Just overheard them turning away two PP members, told them to go to the A gates for the lounge over there that accepts PP
Well, we knew that limiting PP to no guests wasn't going to stop them from putting out the sign or not allowing PP members (at all) to enter. It's good to have a data point after May 1. I'm flying to SEATAC tonight, I'll check and see if the boardrooms (both) are closed to PP.
Old May 4, 2017, 4:14 pm

Did you get in with PP?
Old May 4, 2017, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I saw some sign outside of N yesterday, but I didn't stop over to read it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.