Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: May 15, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 124 FAI-SEA
Time of Departure: 5:45PM
Length of flight: 3:10
Class of service: First
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottled water at seat
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: This is a hard one to put a title to. The flight attendant said something about beef and black beans. It looked like an attempt at a fajita type meal but the beef was too saucy and the tortillas wouldn't unfurl without tearing. That aside, I thought it all tasted pretty good.
Attached Images  
Old May 19, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: May 16, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 656 SEA-PHX
Time of Departure: 9:45AM
Length of flight: 2:10
Meal served: Breakfast
Meal Description: The schedule guide indicated a snack being served on this flight - which made sense given the 945am departure. I was pleasantly surprised then when it was announced that breakfast would be served. 12 egg dishes and 4 oatmeal plates. I ordered the eggs.

This must be black bean month. Good thing I like black beans. Those of us who ordered eggs were presented a plate with basic scrambled eggs accompanied by black beans and surprisingly dense and good chicken sausage. Tortilla strips had been sprinkled over everything. Small containers of pico de gallo and sour cream were included on the side. And the fruit bowl. Good thing I carry a few pc packets of Cholula hot sauce because the pico de gallo was 87% tomatoes, 10% onions and 3% jalapenos.

Overall, I applaud the effort toward providing new and different entrees.
Attached Images  
Old May 19, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
AS 182 ANC-SEA 12:10 PM departure. The horrible, awful, very bad day Gnocchi and Marinara sauce plus side salad for lunch. It was dreadfully bad last week when it was served in the shape of the aluminum tin it was dumped out of. I hope it will be better this time.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ryandc99; May 21, 2017 at 7:01 pm
Old May 19, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
It is gnocchi and italian sausage but the FA served it with the cabbage underneath the gnocchi. To retain the moisture in pasta dishes, they put a little piece of cabbage on top of the pastas that is to be removed and discarded before being served. Apparently, someone didn't get the memo. It could have been plated better to look more appetizing.
I remember watching some TV show about airline kitchens where they mentioned the cabbage topper. Always thought that was a pretty ingenious solution to keep in the moisture. That's provided it doesn't just get plopped on the plate.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
It is gnocchi and italian sausage but the FA served it with the cabbage underneath the gnocchi. To retain the moisture in pasta dishes, they put a little piece of cabbage on top of the pastas that is to be removed and discarded before being served. Apparently, someone didn't get the memo. It could have been plated better to look more appetizing.
Maybe they can GMO the cabbage so that it grows with raised lettering: REMOVE BEFORE SERVING precisely for this purpose.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Date of Flight: May 15, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 124 FAI-SEA
Time of Departure: 5:45PM
Length of flight: 3:10
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: This is a hard one to put a title to. The flight attendant said something about beef and black beans. It looked like an attempt at a fajita type meal but the beef was too saucy and the tortillas wouldn't unfurl without tearing. That aside, I thought it all tasted pretty good.
Looks sort of like the same disaster back in post #421
Old May 19, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by channa
Maybe they can GMO the cabbage so that it grows with raised lettering: REMOVE BEFORE SERVING precisely for this purpose.
Not exactly how GMO works but a cute idea nonetheless.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:11 am

You could actually use a laser etcher to scorch the text onto the cabbage leaf. Which would be kind of genius - include plating instructions as well.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
21 May OAK/HNL - Breakfast

Water at seat - came by with coffee. I believe first outbound to islands trip w/o POG Mimosa offer.

Choice of French Toast with Gloopysauce, scrambled eggs and snausages. It didn't look that appealing.

Keesh with undressed mixed greens. I had the keesh. It was fairly tasteless.

Fruit and scone served on tray at same time. (Is this a new service standard?) I've never had the fruit and pastry served at the same time as the main.

Nuts, then snack basket about an hour out.

Uninspired crew - polite and did nothing wrong, but not a stellar performance.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else, but any update on the following announcement from March 22, 2017?

"By June 2017, Alaska First Class passengers will be able to pre-select meals before they fly..."

I have a flight coming up in June am wondering if/how this would work.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by G2244
Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else, but any update on the following announcement from March 22, 2017?

"By June 2017, Alaska First Class passengers will be able to pre-select meals before they fly..."

I have a flight coming up in June am wondering if/how this would work.
There has been no update from Alaska about this new feature but it's worth noting that regardless of how this new feature is implemented, it will only apply to a relatively small number of flights since well over 50% of Alaska's first class flights with meal service only have one meal option. Essentially, this will only affect Hawaii and transcon flights.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
There has been no update from Alaska about this new feature but it's worth noting that regardless of how this new feature is implemented, it will only apply to a relatively small number of flights since well over 50% of Alaska's first class flights with meal service only have one meal option. Essentially, this will only affect Hawaii and transcon flights.
Morning midcon flights also have a choice...
Old May 22, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Water at seat - came by with coffee. I believe first outbound to islands trip w/o POG Mimosa offer.
This is sacrilege. The highlight of the flight to Hawaii is all you can drink POG, ideally mixed 20/80 with (fake) champagne.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Morning midcon flights also have a choice...
That's true....always the granola or oatmeal option, right?
Old May 22, 2017, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Choice of French Toast with Gloopysauce, scrambled eggs and snausages. It didn't look that appealing.

Keesh with undressed mixed greens. I had the keesh. It was fairly tasteless.

Fruit and scone served on tray at same time. (Is this a new service standard?) I've never had the fruit and pastry served at the same time as the main.

Nuts, then snack basket about an hour out.

Uninspired crew - polite and did nothing wrong, but not a stellar performance.
Not a service standard. You should have been offered the Pog/Pog mimosa PDB and the fruit/scone should have been served as a separate course before the main. Alaska Listens....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.