Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:40 am

Hello,

I usually fly LONG distances from Montreal <--> Tokyo and it would be nice if I could get an upgrade once in a while but the problem is, I am not an Aeroplan Member...

1. Top tier upgrade certificates
--> not aeroplan member
2. Other upgrade certificates
--> seems to be only applicable to those who fly within N.America???
3. Complimentary Latitude flight pass upgrades
--> i usually purchase tango or tango plust tickets
4. Business class award segments in economy booked by January 19, 2009
--> i dont have a business class award
5. Operational upgrades
6. Courtesy upgrades
7. Upgrades using miles or cash

Does this mean that the only way I can get an upgrade would be #5-#7?
Is there any other way I can get an upgrade?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 7:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
what do you expect?

become an Aeroplan top tier member by flying lots, otherwise don't expect upgrades to fall from the sky
N/A
also only in N America
use points to buy a business class award
5. Operational upgrades
doubtful without being #!
6. Courtesy upgrades
doutbtful without being #1 or being with a #1 member
best option but not using miles yet--if you really want to fly up front money is usually a key ingredient (either by flying enough to become top tier, or by opening the wallet for Last Minute Upgrades or for a Z class discount business ticket or finding cheap premium fares that go to other destinations including where you really want to go--see other forums on this board)

- you were expecting ?????
Old Jun 13, 2009, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
what do you expect?

become an Aeroplan top tier member by flying lots, otherwise don't expect upgrades to fall from the sky
N/A
also only in N America
use points to buy a business class award
5. Operational upgrades
doubtful without being #!
6. Courtesy upgrades
doutbtful without being #1 or being with a #1 member
best option but not using miles yet--if you really want to fly up front money is usually a key ingredient (either by flying enough to become top tier, or by opening the wallet for Last Minute Upgrades or for a Z class discount business ticket or finding cheap premium fares that go to other destinations including where you really want to go--see other forums on this board)

- you were expecting ?????
I currently fly approx 25K/year by doing 2 rounds of Japan <---> Canada (based on United. could be slightly different for Aeroplan.) So thats approx 75K in 3 years - 2011. how generous is aeroplan with lounge access for someone like me who flies little? and do you think 75k is enough to accumulate an upgrade certificate for intl flights in the future?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by aquarius17
I currently fly approx 25K/year by doing 2 rounds of Japan <---> Canada (based on United. could be slightly different for Aeroplan.) So thats approx 75K in 3 years - 2011. how generous is aeroplan with lounge access for someone like me who flies little? and do you think 75k is enough to accumulate an upgrade certificate for intl flights in the future?
Aeroplan (and most airlines' programs) are based on how much you accumulate in each calendar year. If you fly 25K/year, that gets you to Prestige, which will give you a couple of SWU upgrade certificates (only work from relatively expensive Lattitude fares) and a couple of lounge passes.

If you can bump up your flying to 35K per year, then you hit Elite, which gives you full Star Alliance lounge access and a couple of SSWU certificates, which can be used to upgrade from all but the cheapest Tourist fare.

NB: United often has a "double status miles" promo that costs you around $400 and then you earn double status miles (on United metal - not codeshares). Thus if you did all of your flying on UA and bought in to the program, your 25K of flying turns in to 50K, which lands you Star Gold and some upgrades on UA.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
LMU possible out of YVR maybe for me?

We're ticketed on a PDX-YVR-NRT flight...I tried to do OLCI this mronign (24 hrs before flight) and I wasnt able to do it all, being that PDX was not on the list of cities for OLCI. (I guess JAZZ is run by United out of PDX)......so my question is: How can I get the LMU offered to me??

I will however, of course check in tomorrow morning (June18th) at 5AM for my 7AM flight on Air Canada JAZZ at PDX. (which Im being told is operated by United )....
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:01 pm

Do OLCI from YVR. PDX-YVR is on a DASH-8 with no Executive Class seating.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: aeroplan
total confusion on my part

I am a rookie here and therefore asking all of you for input. I am transferring AMEX membership rewards to AEROPLAN. I am going to the Olympics in Van next FEB 2010 and want to go bus.class. Can anyone explain the best way to do this:: Is it to buy the coach round trip and use points to upgrade? Or what?
THANKS, BELLEGIRL
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by bellegirl
I am a rookie here and therefore asking all of you for input. I am transferring AMEX membership rewards to AEROPLAN. I am going to the Olympics in Van next FEB 2010 and want to go bus.class. Can anyone explain the best way to do this:: Is it to buy the coach round trip and use points to upgrade? Or what?
THANKS, BELLEGIRL
It is not possible to upgrade from a paid reservation using points on Air Canada.

If you want to sit in business class, your options would be to purchase an appropriate economy class ticket and upgrade using a certificate (if you plan to be an Air Canada frequent flyer with upgrade certificates valid in February 2010), book an award flight in business class directly, or purchase a business class ticket with cash. It is also possible that if you purchase a Tango+ or Latitude ticket (the not-cheapest economy fares) that you might be offered a cash upgrade at check-in, but that cannot be predicted.

As you might imagine, depending on where you are coming from, the availability of award flights to YVR around Olympics time might be very scarce. But I haven't looked, so I don't know.

You don't say where you are traveling from.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:06 am

Programs: AC*SE
SSWU hypothetical upgrade question

Sorry if that has been asked before, but I"m prepping myself for a SSWU certificate use and had a question about what time to call in (assuming that I am *SE and have the 7day window):

Scenario:
Booked flight from SAN-HKG on Air Canada. Route is SAN-YVR-HKG.

The first leg (SAN-YVR) is a codeshare flight on United Airlines metal. The flight from SAN-YVR on UA metal departs the evening of July10th, but arrives into YVR just after midnight on July 11th. The connecting flight from YVR-HKG is on AC metal.

Which day does the midnight-7day window to call apply? Should I call at 12:01am on July3rd (coinciding with 7days from SAN departure)? Or do I call at 12:01am on July4th (to coincide with the 7days from the YVR flight, which is the first AC metal flight)?

Thanks!

Last edited by timriley12; Jun 19, 2009 at 10:43 am Reason: Forgot to mention scenario *SE status
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
timriley12,

Not sure of the answer but according to the status you show you are Elite and the call in period for Elites is 4 days not 7.

In any event, I'd try calling in based on the date of the United flight - the worst that happens is they tell you to call back the next day and if you're lucky, they'll slip it through.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:59 am

Programs: aeroplan
I am coming from BOSTON to VAN round trip. Thanks to all for your replies, it almost seems better to transfer my AMEX points to United than Aeroplan. Bellegirl
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: AC*SE
Thanks for the tip. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm actually prepping for an upcoming trip in early 2010 (similar routing) and I expect to be *SE by then hence the 7day....

Originally Posted by The Lev
timriley12,

Not sure of the answer but according to the status you show you are Elite and the call in period for Elites is 4 days not 7.

In any event, I'd try calling in based on the date of the United flight - the worst that happens is they tell you to call back the next day and if you're lucky, they'll slip it through.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, Bonvoy, HHonors, National EC
Certainly not complaining; just wondering why

Originally Posted by AC*AP*FQTV
The "inside" word is that the courtesy/ops-up is being reintroduced with a reinvigorated process. It'll be rewarded by invitation only, so pay heed to what ACxxxxxxHI's advises. Based on ticket fare paid, AP/SA FQTV tier level and time of booking (?) and check-in (i.e. first-come/first-served).
I was very surprised with an upgrade into J on AC7784 last night.

I was originally on AC434 but being in the wrong lane on Hwy. 409 got me to the check-in counter at 23h25 (darn checked baggage). After discovering that the elevators won't take you to the MLL at that hour (~23h50), I headed to the gate.

After boarding was largely complete, they called my name and down the jetway I went. It wasn't until I was approaching the door that I discovered that I was in seat 1A. It may have been a short hop in a CRJ, but the service was great nonetheless. ^^^

I have no status -- was shooting for P last year, but then our travel budget was cut.
The fare was T+ (L).
The only thing I can think of was that this was my first time flying since completing 8 segments up front on an award ticket...but since there was no revenue, I doubt it.

Have I pleased the TPTB at AC? Or was it just my lucky night?

I'm off to YVR in a few weeks so I'd like to be able to repeat if possible.

Thanks for any insight!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by AC*AP*FQTV
The "inside" word is that the courtesy/ops-up is being reintroduced with a reinvigorated process. It'll be rewarded by invitation only, so pay heed to what ACxxxxxxHI's advises. Based on ticket fare paid, AP/SA FQTV tier level and time of booking (?) and check-in (i.e. first-come/first-served).
This is probably related…

While doing OLCI for AC3 YVR–NRT on 29 June, I got the following message:
Executive Class Upgrade

fission, would all passengers checking in like a complimentary upgrade to Executive Class?
  • I will accept this complimentary upgrade for confirmed Executive Class seat(s).
  • Please retain the current seat(s) in Economy Class.

Important
Passengers will accrue their original Aeroplan booking class miles. Original baggage allowance applies. In the event of an irregular operation, Air Canada reserves the right to retract a complimentary upgrade at any time and re-seat the passenger in the Economy cabin.
Needless to say, as I'm not completely insane, I accepted the offer.

Pictures of delightful food & drink to follow…
Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite (Star Alliance Gold), Starwood Elite Platinum, Marriott Silver
I see a greyed out upgrade button on the air canada website for my flight on Aug-19th. Is that where I will put my upgrade number? Or it is always better to call?

I might have missed this, an upgrade cert upgrades one trip, roundtrip or segment?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.