Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude for 2015 were announced. As always, weve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canadas focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
The 500 mile minimum for example is gone because it was making certain customers unprofitable...
This is a bit...lacking in substance and evidence. Either it was making certain customers unprofitable or they wanted to increase profits all together (which i'm not against), but just pointing out.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G, Natl XcElite
SE's spending 20k+ have many options...

I rack up most of my miles doing the Canada - Asia TPAC runs five or six times a year, the rest of the miles to the U.S.

Two to three of the TPAC long hauls are in paid J, the rest on flex. I echo other's comments here that I book flex for only two reasons: To be able to upgrade, and because Tango fares don't usually exist by the time I make flight bookings. The 100% accumulation of miles does not factor into practical decision-making for North American flights.

The two way cutback on eupgrades means maybe 3, (possibly 4 if lucky) segment upgrades for international long haul. And I count myself lucky that I usually have enough control over my time to be able to move the booking to +/- 2 days to get better upgrade space when J >6 seats just a few days out. Like others, I feel this cut along with losing one nominee spot downright offensive for giving AC revenue loyalty.

For all this hassle, and for my usual spend range of 20k to 30k to accomplish up to 120,000 miles of flying, I've got enough flexibility to do away with the rapidly diminishing returns of the AC program, and I suspect many business managers/owners here fit or exceed this budget profile.

There isn't real business class seats and service on your Rouge flights to the U.S. anyhow, so I don't even bother to think about upgrades... just get me an aisle seat and I won't be much less comfortable than those upfront.

Lots of options out of YVR to Asia, and I look forward to the arrival of more Chinese airlines in Toronto to give YYZ to PEK or PVG more price rationality.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by airbus320
Not having an emotional stake in the recent Altitude 2015 changes, I can stand back and observe...and ponder ....

The most strong reaction on the AC threads originates with Super Elites. Having read every post, I note that many SEs have declared their intent to abandon their AC patronage and migrate their $$$$ to another airline.
If they follow through with their plan and buy their travel from another carrier, what will be the effect on AC's bottom line ?

Has AC underestimated the impact on these changes on their best customers? I would assume that AC would have projected the dollar loss resulting from the negative reaction to the changes.

If AC notices a trend to the exits, will they blink and modify the announced program for 2015?

Are the initial reactions recorded in the two threads only an emotional response or a firm declaration of an intent to not patronize AC?

Any thoughts ?
It's not AC, it's AC management. It was their decision.

I wish AC will now go bankrupt again so their current management can get fired......
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
It's not AC, it's AC management. It was their decision.

I wish AC will now go bankrupt again so their current management can get fired......
Who actually leads the AC Altitude program at AC? Is it still first name.last [email protected] for that individual?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by RTW70

What will happen if UA retaliates and imposes the same flight minimums on its 10+ million active members? Those UA customers will have to stop flying AC. They will need to fly UA to keep their status.
UA benchmarks itself against DL, which does not have such requirements (as of 2014 at least).

FYI: DL-ticketed (or AF/KL- ticketed) WJ-operated flights give status miles. From accrual and benefit perspectives DL/AF/KL JV-operated flights are much better integrated than AC/UA/LH JV-operated flights.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by respectable_man
UA benchmarks itself against DL, which does not have such requirements (as of 2014 at least).

FYI: DL-ticketed (or AF/KL- ticketed) WJ-operated flights give status miles. From accrual and benefit perspectives DL/AF/KL JV-operated flights are much better integrated than AC/UA/LH JV-operated flights.
This may sound stupid but please forgive my ignorance. Can I buy every WJ flight from delta.com and have it credit to DL?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
Have you considered its possible you are not a profitable customer... Spend = Revenue. But if the cost of servicing you is higher than 100K then its better for them not to have you at all.

The 500 mile minimum for example is gone because it was making certain customers unprofitable...
I doubt it. I buy at minimum 3 flight passes a year, 2 NA wide, and 1 european latitude. That is NOT a cheap product. I do a ton of last minute flying to the US, so a lot of my fares are just under the $650 per segment that it takes to justify the flight pass. I spend around $20K per year on J fares, and always buy Flex at a premium (even international when not J in the hopes of upgrading, sometimes successfully, sometimes not). I upgrade on a lot of North American flights, but they don't matter to me. The perkI really get is the ability to upgrade 3 or 4 international flights a year. And on all but one this year there were empty seats. So there wasn't an extra cost, just the fact i didn't pay the full Z or J fare (but I wouldn't have anyway). If I'm unprofitable, I don't see where they have a viable business model.

Edit, the 500 mile minimum is neither here nor there for me. I exceed the 100K by 30 to 60 K miles every year, 90% on AC metal.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Can I buy every WJ flight from delta.com and have it credit to DL?
If you can buy it on delta.com you get credit but afaik you can only buy on dl.com WJ-operated flights that are part of a DL itinerary (or AF/KL itinerary.)

WJ is not "full partner" in the alliance sense.

(should point out this doesn't necessarily involve DL or AF/KL metal; for instance I believe all - or most of - DL YYZ-LGA flights are WJ-operated. They would still need to be DL ticketed to get DL credit though.)

Last edited by respectable_man; Oct 25, 2014 at 9:32 am
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:26 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Allvest
Ac has it all figured out. They will oversell the back by 40 seats and op-up all those tangoers based on status. Basically if you book on full flights as SE you'll end up paying half as much and get a free op-up

Brilliant me thinks
I gather this is sarcasm, as in 9 years of being SE, I have never had an op up on a flex fare...
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Wirelessly posted (galaxy tab: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.0.1418 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

So I actually missed my DL flight this morning because my new blackberry passports alarm didn't go off. So now I'm on ac8620 in J. There are 4 of us in J and 6 empty seats...
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Don't think that is correct--it is the 2015 year starting January 1 and you will get your first eupgrade at 60k not 20k! This is similar to if you don't qualify for SE, you don't get your double miles from January 1 to February 28. Everything stops at December 31! Yes you will get thresholds 20, 40 60 80 if you do it before December 31 but we still don't know the expiry. I have asked and Ben has not responded with any clarity.
You're quite correct; it will be for thresholds crossed between December 1st and 31st, that will apply to 2014 threshold levels, and should have a 2016 expiry based on previous years. I forget that every year

From Altitude:

Reach Air Canada Altitude status based on the number of Altitude Qualifying Miles (AQM) or Altitude Qualifying Segments (AQS) earned on eligible flights operated by Air Canada and the Star Alliance member airlines between January 1 and December 31.
So yes, you have 31 days to cross as many of the 20K incremental thresholds as you can, to get 2016 credits.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsfrSuperElite
I gather this is sarcasm, as in 9 years of being SE, I have never had an op up on a flex fare...
I had one recently out of HKG.

What I am saying is that now they use eUPs to clear the oversold seats. In future they simply have no choice but to op up.

Programs: AC Elite 50K
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
This is a bit...lacking in substance and evidence. Either it was making certain customers unprofitable or they wanted to increase profits all together (which i'm not against), but just pointing out.
True but if they were adding to your bottom line vs detracting from it you wouldn't want to do something which you know would drive them away... (which I think they knew full well it would...)

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
... because others bought Flex fares and paid their eUps. There's going to be a lot less of that going on, since elites will have fewer points and therefore less of a taste (and opportunity) to play Aerolotto.

Small sample size, but I've had two this year. YYZ-FLL from K, and YYZ-SFO from S. SFO shocked me, since it's a business-heavy route on which I frequently fail to get the eUp. FLL, not so much. Only surprise there is that it didn't get Rouged the same time MCO and then TPA did.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
In fairness, I have been given op ups 3 times this year, one for my whole family of 5 (and I thanked AC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.