Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude for 2015 were announced. As always, weve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canadas focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
"1) 2014 eUpgrade thresholds are not affected; so if you hit 20K, 40K, 60K, 80K, etc. AFTER December 1st (assumed - last year's rollover date), and before March 1st 2015, they should have a Feburary 29th 2016 expiry.

However, since AC isn't a calendar year program and resets on March 1st, from that date on you won't see anything until 60K in the 2015 program year."

Don't think that is correct--it is the 2015 year starting January 1 and you will get your first eupgrade at 60k not 20k! This is similar to if you don't qualify for SE, you don't get your double miles from January 1 to February 28. Everything stops at December 31! Yes you will get thresholds 20, 40 60 80 if you do it before December 31 but we still don't know the expiry. I have asked and Ben has not responded with any clarity.

I addressed this earlier this morning, and while I agree with you about the new thresholds for earning additional eUpgrades, I am pretty sure the elite mileage bonuses based on your status remain in place until the end of February, then change to reflect whatever your new status is as of March 1st. This is an elite tier benefit and benefits run March through February, not January through December. But agree, these things do require clarification.

And yes, if past years are any indication, eUpgrades credited in December and thereafter have an expiry of February 28th 2016. My suggestion is that AC consider retroactively extending the life of any remaining eUpgrades credited after last June (i.e. the 2nd half of 2014) to either June 30th 2015 or February 28th 2016 as a good will gesture and transition from the current to the new eUpgrade earning thresholds, and increased number required. Given the lack of real notice of such major changes, this would only be fair. (AC did amend their eUpgrade policy when these were first introduced and accepted our proposal by giving every elite an additional 10 or so credits for the transition from certs to eUpgrades.)
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by airbus320
Not having an emotional stake in the recent Altitude 2015 changes, I can stand back and observe...and ponder ....

The most strong reaction on the AC threads originates with Super Elites. Having read every post, I note that many SEs have declared their intent to abandon their AC patronage and migrate their $$$$ to another airline.
If they follow through with their plan and buy their travel from another carrier, what will be the effect on AC's bottom line ?

Has AC underestimated the impact on these changes on their best customers? I would assume that AC would have projected the dollar loss resulting from the negative reaction to the changes.

If AC notices a trend to the exits, will they blink and modify the announced program for 2015?

Are the initial reactions recorded in the two threads only an emotional response or a firm declaration of an intent to not patronize AC?

Any thoughts ?
There is a difference between theoretical models based on assumptions and the real world. AC appears to have analyzed this based on theoretical models and according to those models this is the correct way forward. However the reality is very different.

AC has assumed that when employers risk loosing top talent they will be forced to change travel policies and buy up to C/Z. Unfortunately most employers, in the real world, seem to be run by bean counters that are equally ferocious and will let employees leave but will not consider changing travel policies.

Having said all of that, I am just amused at the complete disdain AC seems to have for paying customers . You are a business and not a charity. But so is Hyatt etc and they seem to have gotten this loyalty thing pat down. Take it or leave it should not be the attitude that AC should have towards customers. Bring on EK and QR and let them get additional landing spots. Open up the market so it truly is a free market and I would love to see how long AC can keep screwing every stakeholder (employees, customers) and only benefiting executive management.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Absolute
I'm looking at CX myself, as could anyone with an AMEX Plat older than March. We used to get free Gold in Marco Polo (OW Sapphire) as a benefit, but the program ends in 2015. However, we can re-qualify for it at a 50% discount in requirements. That means 30K miles instead of 60K miles, or 20 segments instead of 40.

I shrugged when I received their letter about my status, with my focus on AC*SE in 2014, but something I'll look at. I'm not one of the people saying I'll be leaving AC, but rather that it does have me looking around.
My situation as well. CX just sent a new MPC Gold card with my status extended to September 2015. I've already booked a J (I) ticket on CX to Asia next week rather than AC. I will also add a couple of AA flights to US that will together give me the 30K to extend my Gold status for another year. I will then switch to AA to get EXEC Platinum. A few years ago circumstances led me to be EXP with AA and SE with AC. I found the AA experience a positive one - especially with the OPUP to first when a seat was available. I will use up my AE miles next year while I am still SE and while there is no YQ

I also agree with the comments above regarding FLEX. I bought flex on many occasions when I had no intention to upgrade because I wanted to get the status miles and use eUPs for international long hauls. If I fly AC in future I will only buy Tango (as my reasons for buying flex no longer exist). I am MM so I can use the lifetime E50 benefits for lounge access etc.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:07 am

What will the Star Alliance Partners do now?

I think AC has, in a way, violated its partnership with the introduction of these new high minimum flight requirements. For now the other airlines in the network have low or no such requirements.

This could backfire when the other airlines realise what's going on.

For example - AC benefits from the fact that all the UA customers are quite happy to fly AC because it won't affect their status. But now AC members are going to be very reluctant to fly UA. Win for AC!

What will happen if UA retaliates and imposes the same flight minimums on its 10+ million active members? Those UA customers will have to stop flying AC. They will need to fly UA to keep their status.

Bad idea AC.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Again I may have mis-understood your post, but you did not address the upgrades, I think, which are to business, not E+, nor did you address the YQ which will soon not affect you - but will affect me.
Correct - UA upgrades are from Y to J not to E+.
No YQ with M+

Originally Posted by painintheuk
The E+ access (very different from Y+ on other airlines but still very valuable, IMHO, and definitely less pricy - I have flown both and understand the difference quite well) doesn't have 28"-30" pitch. I think you might be thinking of AC's 'enhanced' Y product .
Correct. E+ is the equivalent to the "premium" seats on AC's narrow body fleet - same seat, same service but more legroom and closer to the front.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GJS - yow
I've been seeing the same as well. It was frustrating on a recent LHR-YUL flight when I had to play Aerolotto and wait at the gate to learn that the upgrade request had gone through. Then it ended up that there were at least 4 empty seats in J. Really? They expected that there would be that many last minute J seats sold?

Presumably, with the very small number of eUpgradeable seats per altitude member, the J cabins will be half empty much more frequently.

Will we see the return of comp upgrades? If not, what is the benefit to AC of flying with half empty J cabins on international flights?

From my perspective, it was not costing AC anything to fill their J cabins with eUpgrades (ok - a few dollars for the food and beverage service). And it made me an incredibly loyal AC customer, as I was able to eUp about 80% of my international flights.

I will not be happy to run out of eUpgrades, sit in Y, and then see the J cabin less than full on overseas flights. With my employer, it does not matter if the discounted J (Z, D, C) is less than Latitude, they will only ever pay for Y or less.

Ac has it all figured out. They will oversell the back by 40 seats and op-up all those tangoers based on status. Basically if you book on full flights as SE you'll end up paying half as much and get a free op-up

Brilliant me thinks
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by Allvest
Ac has it all figured out. They will oversell the back by 40 seats and op-up all those tangoers based on status. Basically if you book on full flights as SE you'll end up paying half as much and get a free op-up

Brilliant me thinks
So now I have to pray for oversold flights?

A new version of Aerolotto!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
In the many years of devaluations has the respective threads been so lengthy?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Over a 1000 responses to this thread and still a few (as of late) apologist posters have yet to post ! Have they been muzzled by their minders ?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
The real question for me is - who is AC trying to appeal to with these changes? What is the purpose of having the Altitude program? If it is not for loyalty, then what is it?

We are now at more than 1000 posts in less than 2 days, and I have yet to see someone indicating they will drop their other FF program and move to AC (ha!), increase their loyalty to AC, or even suggest they like any of the changes, with the exception of the removal of some YQ charges (depending on status).
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Over a 1000 responses to this thread and still a few (as of late) apologist posters have yet to post ! Have they been muzzled by their minders ?
That or people are truly incensed.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
That or people are truly incensed.
+1
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:33 am
Suspended

International J benchmark

AC. I just got off your filthy plane in Frankfurt. The seats smell. The pods are full of crud and filth and a wipe with the wet towel leaves it grey. One assigned pod was defective.

Then I connected on an LH A321. It's spic and span. Not new for sure but well cleaned and updated.

How can Ben come on here and say "because we have a fantasy that in future we will be more competitive with the international five star airlines, we are going to pretend that this fantasy is already reality."

Flex fare TPac 2500$. Only gets me to NRT or HKG or other gateway. On code share i have to fly in Y to connect. EVEN PURCHASING Z, AC does not even allow code share sectors in the front of the bus. So it means a separate ticket on TG or some other airline. Another $800-1200 for a Biz connection. Now we are at $3600.

I can just book CX or UA for around $4500-5000 and have fully paid in business ALL THE WAY.

I have been putting up with this for years because of the upgrade program. But for Ac to say it makes me a bad customer to play the eUP game when in reality my life could be simpler and more comfortable just finding discount J fares, is not reflecting reality.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
In the many years of devaluations has the respective threads been so lengthy?
In years past, when AC destroyed the <E50 levels, the threads were full of vocal SEs cheerleading and jumping for joy that AC loves them, changes were fair to recognize that they are truly the valuable ones, and less benefits for others = more for them. YAY!

Now their time has come, hence the outrage.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AC Elite 50K
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I hope it's a bit worrisome to AC reps who read this thread and others that the most loyal AC people here, including so called "apologists" (like me and others) are questioning spend with AC. The fact that many SEs are fleeing, worries me, and i'm not even a stockholder.
I don't think they are worried.

1.) they have more information on this than you do. Its entirely possible that the SE "benefits" cost so much to provide that they actually don't make any money on you despite all of the revenue you generate. Which means the profit maximizing thing to do is get rid of the customer and the expenses, which would make profits increase...

2.) Westjet has more or less said AC continues to have almost the entire business market.

3.) Most business flyers don't fly enough to get status. EDC would be a great case of this. Most of their people fly 1-2 times a year usually international, which meets the government policy for paid J...

4.) Only once in 77 years has Air Canada made a normal net profit. (last year All of the others were based on their hocus pocus (EBITAR - Seriously? You have to rent the planes/places to operate to actually run the damn company...) And this year will be their second. They obviously know what they're doing, thats not the indication of someone flying by the seat of their pants.

Lastly - the changes to this program were obviously made to get rid of certain customer groups who were unprofitable. Spending 30K at AC, buying flex, flying J most of the time, having access to a concierge, drinking $50.00 worth of booze, and eating $25.00 worth of catering between the lounge and the plane... You get where I'm going...

Margins are so slim in this business, I can't recall which airline - but one of the more profitable ones said they made less than $5.00 a head last year on every ticket they sold. So if you're drinking $50.00 worth of booze they're probably loosing $45.00 on you... It actually makes business sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.