Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude for 2015 were announced. As always, weve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canadas focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by KenHamer
The problem is that planes (every airline's planes) are fuller than they have been in a very long time, possibly ever. So it's possible that for every passenger that leaves there is already another standing in line to take their place.

Now, whether that replacement passenger will be separated from the same number of dollars is another question.
They are full of Tango fares.

That is not the way to make money.

Incenting FFers to spend more than Tango is one of the ways they should be trying to make money.

The changes do the opposite of that.

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by Absolute
Don't forget, WestJet is launching their new FFP as of next Wednesday.

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/rewa...tiers-20140915
Oh, I know alright.

I signed up for their rewards program today.

My wife's all over the credit card (turns out we need a MasterCard for Costco anyway).

PM'd their FT rep suggesting a status match and centre seat blocking (and noticed our very own Ben was a recent viewer of their FT profile).

All over it.

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
So you're saying they are not going to rescind?
They will rescind and I agree it was part of their plan from the start.

You and I both know well how these people operate...hell, they were 'with' us at one point.
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
So you're saying they are not going to rescind?
I can't see it happening this time - Ben was quite clear about there being no changes. I can hope... but I'm planning on the assumption they won't.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:41 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Too bad I probably won't be SE anymore so I'll have to climb back up the ladder. However at this point it's a problem I would like to have.
I'm looking at CX myself, as could anyone with an AMEX Plat older than March. We used to get free Gold in Marco Polo (OW Sapphire) as a benefit, but the program ends in 2015. However, we can re-qualify for it at a 50% discount in requirements. That means 30K miles instead of 60K miles, or 20 segments instead of 40.

I shrugged when I received their letter about my status, with my focus on AC*SE in 2014, but something I'll look at. I'm not one of the people saying I'll be leaving AC, but rather that it does have me looking around.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by The Lev
[*]This wasn't a nip or tuck - it's major surgery. Now would have been the appropriate time to announce a change for the 2016 benefit year - not when we have been accruing for most of the year with the expectation of receiving something similar to the current program. Shows profound disrespect for your top customers.
This is what gets me the most. Of course AC is free to make whatever changes it wants and time will tell whether these were wise decisions for the shareholders or not. But to implement this at this time in the earning year when people have little option to select alternatives to put them in better stead next year seems like an unfair business practice to me.

A smaller point I would raise here, but an illustrative one... Just booked a few TATL J rewards for next summer (on LX and SN to avoid YQ) and was hoping to make a free change closer to flight date, but this change won't allow that now. I guess one could argue "buyer beware" here but I honestly would have never thought free change benefit was on the chopping block and would have made a different purchasing decision or delayed my decision if I had known otherwise. And, to add insult to injury, if I wanted now to fly AC with no YQ (which would be better since I wouldn't need to transit US), I will have to pay to change since my free change benefit expires before the new "no YQ on AC" benefit comes into force. Frustrating.

Last edited by YQMer; Oct 25, 2014 at 8:37 am Reason: Added some details
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Originally Posted by Stranger
So are you guys now renaming the thing "AC ATTItude" program?

Which fits wonderfully the recent enhancement.
There was an ACAttitude twitter parody feed for a while, but it was shut down for looking and feeling a little too much like ACAltitude. It was brilliant while it lasted.

I think its crowning achievement was responding to a tweet to ACAltitude from a passenger angry about a flight running out of wine, with a comment that the pilots needed all the wine on the flight deck "for courage" or something like that.

I laughed, but I can see how AC would want them off Twitter in a hurry, because they used the AC logo, and @ACAltitude and @ACAttitude look very similar.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: United M+: Platnum to 2016 AC E75K to 2015
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
On the 23 and 24th I flew UA in A Class, you will see the miles post to my account. Tomorrow, the 25th, I fly DL in P class, I just issued the ticket.

So, since the announcement you have lost $1200.00 in flight pass redemption's from me. I know it's not much, but that's revenue you lost as a direct result of these changes which will be kicking in next year. This trend will continue from me certainly, and most likely others. I also sent about ~$1175USD to your competitors in the process. Obviously I don't need eups, I can just buy into the cabin I want to. Too bad that allows me to go with the cheapest option, rather than sticking with one carrier.

I really did enjoy the AC service. Too bad my money is not worth enough to justify that level of service anymore.
I am certainly not a 'big spender' either, but since February (my last AC ticketed/FFP purchse), I have flown YYZ<>SYD 3X (UA), YYZ<>DLC (Air China) YYZ <> ICN (Asian) and each flight was AT LEAST $2200 X 5 = $11,000+. Worse part, I tweeted this EACH TIME, posted about the fare that went to another carrier.. and nothing from them...

SAD.. but after the 900+ replies to this forum.. we may actually start to send a message.. remember, as vocal as WE have been - think of how many don't even know this board exists and will quietly leave.

Last edited by NeoRichards; Oct 24, 2014 at 11:12 pm
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:09 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
There was an ACAttitude twitter parody feed for a while, but it was shut down for looking and feeling a little too much like ACAltitude. It was brilliant while it lasted.

I think its crowning achievement was responding to a tweet to ACAltitude from a passenger angry about a flight running out of wine, with a comment that the pilots needed all the wine on the flight deck "for courage" or something like that.

I laughed, but I can see how AC would want them off Twitter in a hurry, because they used the AC logo, and @ACAltitude and @ACAttitude look very similar.
They changed their handle to pretend they were talking about A Catty Tude

https://twitter.com/ACattyTude

Here's their original thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...cattitude.html
Tweets on post #18

Looks like a trend for AC: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...article441485/

Last edited by Absolute; Oct 24, 2014 at 11:15 pm
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by NeoRichards

SAD.. but after the 900+ replies to this forum.. we may actually start to send a message.. remember, as vocal as WE have been - think of how many don't even know this board exists and will quietly leave.
At a 1,000 posts and 30,000 views in a day and a half I am sure they are looking at it. And if I timed this right, post 1000!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
And if I timed this right, post 1000!
Congrats, you got the timing right

I really hope this outpouring of feedback will convince AC to reconsider the changes and at least reduce the cutbacks. Year's still not over; there's still time to make further (good) changes to the program

And if you have to, screw the non-SEs some more
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
At a 1,000 posts and 30,000 views in a day and a half I am sure they are looking at it. And if I timed this right, post 1000!
BINGO!! BRAVO!! WELL PLAYED, Sean, Well Played!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:19 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by maradori
<cough> At the risk of flaming... +1.

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Originally Posted by Absolute
They changed their handle to pretend they were talking about A Catty Tude

https://twitter.com/ACattyTude

Here's their original thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...cattitude.html
Tweets on post #18

Looks like a trend for AC: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...article441485/
Thanks for the tip and the reminder of that thread. Oh, for the carefree days when our biggest complaint was international Tango fares!

Originally Posted by maradori
You Know it.. It's new coke all over again..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.