Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude for 2015 were announced. As always, weve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canadas focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dorian
They'd literally be idiots not to rescind. Almost no reason to fly AC once you hit SE100K. All that revenue should go elsewhere and it will.
The elimination of the threshold upgrades is bold. When I first saw that changes and the new e-upgrade requirements I thought, ok - customers should either fly J, or buy Latitude and use their e-upgrades.

With no threshold rewards after 100K? You're right, after you hit SE, why wouldn't you just attribute to UA, AA or DL and get their top status as well?

This is a big risk for AC to take. If they had just increased the AC metal requirements (MFR), eliminated the minimum 500 miles and increased the e-up requirements that is enough of a change to see how things shape up for the year. Some high revenue flyers such as yourself may not come back if they decide in 12 or 24 months they want too far.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:29 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Absolute
I can't see it happening this time - Ben was quite clear about there being no changes. I can hope... but I'm planning on the assumption they won't.
No plan survives contact with the enemy.

Nevertheless, my original comment was intended only as a smart-asś snark.

Last edited by KenHamer; Oct 25, 2014 at 2:39 am
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:34 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by mountaingrl
Uggghhh I'm having trouble making sense of all this crap so can someone help me with a few things....

1. Am I correct that we all should be able to get eupgrades for hitting thresholds at 20K etc. as long as we hit 20K BEFORE March 1, 2015? Can't believe we only earn eupgrades once hitting the 60K threshold with the new changes....

2. If I eupgrade on Feb. 28, 2015 on a flex fare for travel a week later (say SYD-Canada) it will only cost me 17 eupgrades?

3. I can continue to make a free change to AE tickets until Feb. 28, 2015?

4. Did we AC status fliers really get screwed again by AC? What the hell? The non-status AC flier will be completely unaware and likely unaffected by all of these changes - and now I feel so untrusting of the AC employers posting on this forum. They are only here to pacify us and never wanted any input from us on how to improve the program. Sock puppets everywhere
While I can't vouch for every AC employee, I think the 2 most active in this thread (Ben L and Andrew Y) are above reproach. I don't think they are sock puppets or only here to pacify us. While sometimes I disagree with their comments (or think they are outright wrong) I also think they have been participating in good faith, and as Ben L stated not to defend the changes to but explain them.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Other than the fuel surcharge drop for SEs, this is a massive devaluation. To the point that my girlfriend, a SE who has stuck with AC through the last 2 big devaluations, is shifting her business to AA.

Stupid move.

Edited to Add - This is a huge slap in the face when you consider the huge anti-trust exemptions granted under the JVs. The airlines get to share revenue and collude on pricing and service, but you can't get credit for flying on the JV metal. JV's should be banned.

Last edited by N1120A; Oct 25, 2014 at 2:39 am Reason: Added
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
That's a fair point, my apologies for jumping to conclusions. I was referring to upgrade instruments (i.e. vouchers, credits, etc.). We do offer a mileage upgrade program as well, albeit you need a Latitude fare, but are always looking at ways we might be able to innovate.

We do occasionally need to upgrade based on oversold or IRROPS situations, and I would imagine it's the same for CX. If the back is oversold both of us will upgrade pax, according to status, in Y to J (and from J to F, in their case). A quick glance at their board on FT shows they don't generally do complimentary upgrades for no operational reason.
It's not only on CX, when I was on MM program, and even with their Silver* status, I was upgraded for FREE on LH flights YVR-FRA, almost 50% of the time, I did not even ask and definitely flights were not always oversold. I have YET to see anyone on AC get a free upgrade on flights with full Y, many times I've seen empty J class, while there's not even a seat left in Y, and my colleagues and I, between E50-SE were never upgraded (without eUps). This never happened on LH, their J was always full...

I guess one last thing that may push me away, probably BACK to MM, is the fact that the overall attitude of the two programs is completely different...

When I was on MM program, I ALWAYS felt welcomed, and felt Lufthansa Loyalty to *me*, and they literally would go out of their way to make my experience better and at anytime there was available room in J, I got upgraded whether or not I asked, it really felt like they appreciated my business, AND I was only Silver*... I switched to AC, as I wanted Gold* and been maintaining E50 for the last cpl of years, the difference is, AC thinks *they are doing me a favor* by giving me perks for being their Frequent Flyer! This is how they have treated us in their communication, how Ben has responded to complaints here (Quote: we are not a charity), and how overall AC thinks about their FFers... it sounds like we are just nuisance and COST, instead of a Frequent Flyer that time and time again brings business back to AC, and in most cases pays more equaling THOUSANDS a year to stay loyal to the program!

That's my biggest complaint overall... their LACK OF RESPECT and Taking us for granted at Air Canada, their staff, their PR, Marketing and CEO. I believe this is simply due to lack of competition in Canada, so when they do their analysis, FF is a *cost* and not considered revenue, as they think we have no choice and must fly AC...

This maybe true now, this maybe mostly true domestically (hence all of the loss of min. 500 miles), but definitely NOT the case for US and Internationally, and I believe more competition is coming to Canada... and AC may find itself with too many disgruntled and upset pre-SEs to see them leave in droves... may take a cpl of years, but IT WILL HAPPEN!

To me bottom line is this, depending on your travel many specific flyers should definitely switch:

1. IF you fly primarily to Asia, there's absolutely NO REASON to stay with AC whatsoever with their massively downgraded equipment that cannot compete with CX and others...
2. If you fly primarily to US West coast (tech folks), you're rouged and that makes no sense at all either
3. If you fly primarily to Europe, specially on routes were 777HD is used, take a very close look at what LH, KLM, or BA may offer instead.
4. If you fly domestically, calculate the milage, and see if WestJet is a viable option

The only group that I think may still be better off with AC are one who fly mix domestic US/Canada, and specially around east coast (not rouged). Otherwise, other travelers may have no reason to stay with AC any longer...

I really do understand the business side of things, and MAYBE could swallow more eUp requirements, lowering SE nominations, more AC metal, and EVEN eliminating 500 miles min... but to do ALL of those, plus giving us less eUps, and all of the other *enhancements* is just beyond any reason, specially when fuel prices are the lowest in a decade and when AC is making the most money it's ever made... but as I said, the bottom line for me is the attitude of Air Canada to FFers and that alone should make us think REAL HARD if they deserve our hard earned money!

LET THEM PAY for not appreciating us, for taking us for granted, and for sticking it to us every year, over and over and over again!

Last edited by alexbc; Oct 25, 2014 at 3:22 am
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:37 am

But you encouraged us to fly with partner airlines??

Over the past few years AC encouraged us to fly with partner airlines. They gave us bonus points if we did!

Now they're saying if we keep flying with partner airlines we're going to lose our status. What the ... ???

I've booked a lot of my travel for next year already. Despite flying over 100k, with the changes I won't make it to SE again so I'm going to accrue points with another Star Alliance carrier. I really like AC but I have no choice. If I accrue with AC I'll get no status / lounge access / priority queuing etc. If I accrue with a partner airline I keep my status. I gotta go.

Last edited by RTW70; Oct 25, 2014 at 4:53 am
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
AC makes the announcement?

The fact this announcement came from AC (not AP) puts "paid" to the official line they are separate companies. It is AC, not AP, who calls the shots & any comments should go in their direction.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The fact this announcement came from AC (not AP) puts "paid" to the official line they are separate companies. It is AC, not AP, who calls the shots & any comments should go in their direction.
The announcement we are dealing with relates to the Altitude program, which is AC's elite benefits program and has little to do with AE, the miles company. Yes, it gets confusing but that's why two years ago AC decided to launch Altitude to more clearly distinguish its role as a FF program vs AE which had become a miles collecting program with a tenuous link to the airline and flying. That is also why AE introduced Distinction last year to offer its mileage collectors (who primarily get their miles from credit cards and shopping) an elite tier program. AC "calls the shots" on the elite tier program and benefits related to miles earned by flying, while AE runs the mileage program itself. They are separate companies that have contractual relationships with one another.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
A long, long time ago
I can still remember how the upgrades used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those agents dance
Booking IKK but for a while

But each October made me shiver
With every announcement they'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step

I can't remember if I cried
When I read the eroding pride
But something touched me deep inside
The day my Elite card died

[Chorus]
So bye-bye, Miss American Pie...
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I'm way behind at reading this thread, and someone may have already mentioned this but you missed the one huge advantage I love with UA. UNLIMITED FREE CHANGES AND CANCELLATIONS on reward tickets for E75 and up. I've used this literally dozens of times as reward availability opens up or I change my plans saving me thousands of dollars. Ironically, many of those changes were on AC flights as I much prefer them domestically than UA. And I finally got to experience LH F with no scam charges as availability opened up. (Changed that one a few times too. )

Originally Posted by The Lev
<snip>

AC said they benchmarked their program against the competition. I feel I need to do likewise. I do a mix of Canadian, transborder and intercontinental flying. I haven't looked at it in detail, but I think if I status match to UA1K I would get the following improvements:
  • 8 upgrades that I can use at time of booking vs. 4 only upgradeable within 7 days on Flex (plus I'd still be able to try to use the eUpgrades I get as a E50K MM when I choose to fly AC)
  • I would get 100% miles on all United fare categories and some LH intra-Europe
  • United's upgradeable fares (W?) are generally way cheaper than Flex on international routes
  • No scamcharges when I redeem miles
  • Free access to Premium Economy
  • Unlimited free North American gate upgrades - if available

On the downside,
  • I'd only get 25% on Air Canada North American Tango fares credited to MP
  • I'd have to connect through the US on my intercontinental flights (but I have Nexus/GE so not a huge deal)
  • I'd be doing a lot more flying on UA
  • No credit card miles to my account
  • Accessing AC premium seats will become more challenging

What am I missing?

If WS could cut a deal with Delta and/or UA to grant qualifying miles, something tells me that the SE herd would thin rather dramatically.

Bottom line - I see SE's taking it on the chin and in practice this will actually be an enhancement for non-SE's because SE's will have far fewer opportunities to upgrade which will keep more seats open for lower tiers.

Last edited by margarita girl; Oct 25, 2014 at 5:16 am
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
alexbc, as to the matter of non-opup upgrades, for a long time Asian and some European airlines on their long haul routes and when business class was first introduced, would upgrade full fare Y customers into this cabin, even though it was also sold for a premium. However, in those days the cabin and amenities were not as they are today, where business has pretty much replaced first class on many carriers. That practice was a deal between the airlines and travel agents for their clients, but has long gone by the boards as business has become a fully differentiated cabin, fare class and service entity.

As to when these changes come into effect, January and February are part of the new earning year and any changes vis a vis thresholds for eUpgrades or counting of AQMs towards 2016 status would be in effect. As would the removal of the 500 mile minimum, so you'd start to earn by actual distance on all AC flights. However, it is still the tail end of the 2014/5 benefit year, thus certain benefits related to RDM accumulation are still in play, so if you get the elite accelerator, you still get your 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% bonus based on your 2014/5 status and not you upcoming 2015/6 status. Confusing, but that's how it's been interpreted in the past and is likely to be now.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
WS should introduce a pass product now. One pass purchase and you're gold...
I have been asking WS about this for a couple of years now. They keep saying offering a flight pass is not in their current strategy. I can only assume that the more people ask about it, the more they'll consider. So ask them for a pass product. I ask them about it every 6 months.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
alexbc, as to the matter of non-opup upgrades, for a long time Asian and some European airlines on their long haul routes and when business class was first introduced, would upgrade full fare Y customers into this cabin, even though it was also sold for a premium. However, in those days the cabin and amenities were not as they are today, where business has pretty much replaced first class on many carriers.
Edit: I think I must have mis-interpreted SH's post.

Sorry.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
The only way to salvage the program would be to do one of two things: alter the number of eupgrades given at the start of the year to be higher than 70 or change the threshold earning to start before 60K

I think that would appease most SE and keep them from fleeing
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A couple of clarifications for The Lev and others:

AC said they benchmarked their program against the competition. I feel I need to do likewise. I do a mix of Canadian, transborder and intercontinental flying. I haven't looked at it in detail, but I think if I status match to UA1K I would get the following improvements:
• There are no Status Matches from STAR programs to UA, but you could do a Status Challenge to 50K PremierGold status (flying a certain number of PQMs in a 90-day period)

8 upgrades that I can use at time of booking vs. 4 only upgradeable within 7 days on Flex (plus I'd still be able to try to use the eUpgrades I get as a E50K MM when I choose to fly AC)
• Actually, it's only 6 GPUs (global) when you hit 1K, but also 4 RPUs (regional), the GPUs upgrade from fares equivalent to AC's FLEX, the RPUs from any fare

I would get 100% miles on all United fare categories and some LH intra-Europe
United's upgradeable fares (W?) are generally way cheaper than Flex on international routes
No scamcharges when I redeem miles
Free access to Premium Economy
Unlimited free North American gate upgrades - if available

• UA's Premium Economy which we call E+ is not the same as most airlines' enhanced economy class, it is basically an economy seat with more pitch (32"-34") in economy but comes with no additional inflight services

On the downside,
I'd only get 25% on Air Canada North American Tango fares credited to MP
I'd have to connect through the US on my intercontinental flights (but I have Nexus/GE so not a huge deal)
I'd be doing a lot more flying on UA
No credit card miles to my account
Accessing AC premium seats will become more challenging
What am I missing?

• As MargaritaGirl has noted there are no charges for changes or cancelations on award bookings once you hit 75KPlatinum or 1K. Of course this should be a benefit of Black or Diamond Distinction since it's AE who slaps this charge on the program; yes there is no Canadian credit card for MP, but you can still put your cc spending into AE and use the miles for airlines with the fuel surcharges, including UA...save your MP miles for award flights on AC (which can still be had in J if booked early enough)

If WS could cut a deal with Delta and/or UA to grant qualifying miles, something tells me that the SE herd would thin rather dramatically.
• WS gives non-status miles in both the DL and AA programs (as well as AF, AF and CX its codeshare partners) but not UA.

Last edited by Shareholder; Oct 25, 2014 at 7:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.