Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude for 2015 were announced. As always, weve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canadas focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I hope it's a bit worrisome to AC reps who read this thread and others that the most loyal AC people here, including so called "apologists" (like me and others) are questioning spend with AC.
Ya, I have been called an apologist on here as well. I still think AC is the best NA airline (I have used them all this year), but this was black and white for me. I was already on DL and AA a fair bit, and was a bit jealous of the high status people getting upgraded (including colleagues), but always justified AC with the better hard product and international UG. That is gone, so it was a surprisingly easy decision. I am used to the US airline connection thing now anyway, so this is the logical next step, particularly when I will have lifetime *G (unless they take that away next
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
WOW. On a V fare (cue FLEX on AC), I'd get 500 on UA and 93 or whatever miles on AC? Come on. At least fix this
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
There have been numerous comparisons made here to other FF programs, by Ben. The way I read it is "we are making this change because airline X does it".

Instead of striving to be better then the competitor as "North America only 4 Star Airline" should be, AC is lowering the bar to be the same! I don't understand this.

Read this funny review of a typical North American Airline. It makes me wonder, if this where we are headed?

http://milewriter.com/2014/10/16/bla...-october-2014/
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
Well, tonight was a bit strange for me. Just booked 3 trips, two on DL (hope they get me the status match quickly)
My experience early this year (for reasons other than the current discussion) was that a status match from AC100k to DL Silver took about 8 weeks. Gold followed after 50k miles. So don't expect them to bend over completely. Might well depend on what you can present them as flying patterns, etc. AS matched in a matter of 2-3 weeks, IIRC.

I also just booked two DL P class fares which were only marginally more than an equivalent AC Flex ticket. Looking forward to BA PE + points to upgrade next year also. ^
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk

Now AC's encouraged me to buy a DL flight tomorrow in paid F (about the same cost as one FP credit), and save my transcon pass credits for flights to remote airports in Canada. To me that's going to be the new reality. Just buy the bigger seat on a airline that sells it cheaper, let's face it, those AC fares aren't always exactly a good deal for a Y seat, at least not for me on trans border routes. Good work!
+1, that is myself as well. I don't think they have been watching what is going on with a lot of the DL Z fares.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
it is actually quite unsettling for me, as 3 days ago, these would all have been AC
For some of us it started earlier, when AC Rouged its routes out of YVR and drove us to their competition for flights to points south.

Booking AC to SFO or LAX used to be automatic...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by okazon69
My experience early this year (for reasons other than the current discussion) was that a status match from AC100k to DL Silver took about 8 weeks. Gold followed after 50k miles. So don't expect them to bend over completely. Might well depend on what you can present them as flying patterns, etc. AS matched in a matter of 2-3 weeks, IIRC.

I also just booked two DL P class fares which were only marginally more than an equivalent AC Flex ticket. Looking forward to BA PE + points to upgrade next year also. ^
Thanks for the heads up. I am close to G on DL anyway this year, so I'm hoping that they do a bit better. I'll post when I find out.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
We do have some exciting (positive) things in the works, I can tell you that!
A plastic Rouge plane for my million mile loyalty?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Not sure I follow - you should receive credits for the 2015 program year.
Re post 587:

The program year begins Jan. 1 2015. The new changes begin March 1, 2015. When the changes kick in, no threshold credits will be earned till 60K. Can I assume that I will earn credits for 20 K And 40K ? That will be 24 credits at current rates. Please check this out because it will be an issue if I am denied those credits should you say that I will get them.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Not every J cabin I've flown in has been full this year. If you are giving out waitlisted upgrades, why not fill the cabin, you have nobody else to put in those seats, so the costs are minimal. Especially if it encourages people like me to buy flight pass products, and encourages me to think about buying small business passes so we can all enjoy these benefits at work.

Because they think that by not giving us upgrades we will somehow magically be able to afford Latitude or Z or J. As if. They are so wrong it is not even funny. Here is a tip AC: if I could afford them, I would. I don't use eUps because it is cheaper. I use them because there is no alternative. Corporations will pay for J and Z about the same time as a certain place freezes over. That ship has sailed.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:43 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
I hope it's a bit worrisome to AC reps who read this thread and others that the most loyal AC people here, including so called "apologists" (like me and others) are questioning spend with AC. The fact that many SEs are fleeing, worries me, and i'm not even a stockholder.
And I think you haven't seen nothing yet. I have been praising and defending AC over the years, but now with these drastic changes all of a sudden, it makes les and less sense to stay SE for 2015.

And one when tries to discuss with AC's representatives on this board about other frequent flyer programs, like the fact that I have CX Gold, they come up with things like:

"Your benefits on CX haven't been diminished because they weren't generous in the first place."

Talk about self-righteousness from AC...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:43 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Thanks Ben. I think it's safe to say, that all airlines will compete on product and price, and that loyalty programs (at least in the airline industry), are slowly fading away. It's weird, when I think about it, with respect to hotel programs. Hotel programs seem to be getting better and better (at least with SPG), but airline programs are getting worse.
You are spot on the money....the days of Airline Loyalty Programs have become victims of low cost air travel. The funeral is not set scheduled but will be in the near future. I for one will be a pall bearer but reluctantly.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ridefar
Corporations will pay for J and Z about the same time as a certain place freezes over. That ship has sailed.
Not true. Not anymore.

Originally Posted by jsfrSuperElite
And I think you haven't seen nothing yet. I have been praising and defending AC over the years, but now with these drastic changes all of a sudden, it makes les and less sense to stay SE for 2015.

And one when tries to discuss with AC's representatives on this board about other frequent flyer programs, like the fact that I have CX Gold, they come up with things like:

"Your benefits on CX haven't been diminished because they weren't generous in the first place."

Talk about self-righteousness from AC...
I'm not even SE. I got wrecked, bad. But please remember AC reps are just messengers. They aren't defending the changes and i'm not defending them in this case. Just saying.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 24, 2014 at 8:51 pm
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Lounge access for Silver is CX/KA-operated flights only. E35k gets AC domestic and transborder on AC/Star. I'd call it a wash.
I'm SE and CX Silver.

CX has much better lounges and I get op-ups more often (~20% of my flights). Also get free extra legroom seats on all fares and extra cabin baggage allowance.

More importantly, they often go the extra mile even though I was only a lowly Silver. Earlier this year I was on a SIN-HKG CX flight that was delayed by 5 hr (plane went tech). Instead of making me wait, they put me on the next SQ flight (not OW) and saved my trip.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by ridefar
Because they think that by not giving us upgrades we will somehow magically be able to afford Latitude or Z or J. As if. They are so wrong it is not even funny. Here is a tip AC: if I could afford them, I would. I don't use eUps because it is cheaper. I use them because there is no alternative. Corporations will pay for J and Z about the same time as a certain place freezes over. That ship has sailed.
Afford is a relative term, could I pay for latitude passes and survive? I hope so! Do I think it's a smart decision? Not If I can buy someone else's J/F product for flex money.

I'm seriously thinking super elite might be over for me. It makes me think of those front line employees who would approach me for being a young SE... "Wow, You'll be an MM before you're..." Well I would have been, but my loyalty to AC is certainly in jeopardy now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.