Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude for 2015 were announced. As always, weve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canadas focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I disagree with you there... The 787 J product is superior to the normal J product. Y is also better for me as well on the 787. Premium Y = awesome too.
I agree with this--787 is very superior IMO (I believe you and I were on the same first flight IIRC).

The issue for me (and has seems also to be supported by others) is more that the 787 is the relative exception now in terms of J experience. But that the new regime is predicated on high cost/high quality for all upgrades.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:15 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by The Lev

BTW, getting to parity with the big guys means a lot more than the 787 J hard product and plating the food. Creating the service culture (and teaching your people how to cook) with your current unionized workforce is a very major culture shift and challenge.
I have to agree with The Lev.

There are good crews and apathetic crews.

YWG-YVR, Business Class, August 2014.

WT73: "What kind of wine do you have?"

FA: "Red and white."

Seriously ?

There is a long way to go before they are at the level of European / Asian carriers. I can appreciate that they are making efforts, but still a ways to go.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC Elite 50K
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Nice try - not even close. Have a look at CX's 77G and you'll get an idea how many seats one can get in cabin 1 of the 77W as the set up is similar.

Here you go: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cat...77-300ER_C.php
787 J seat is great. Its basically the CX business seat. which as we've been over is cheaper to ride in on CX. I love CX they once reprotected a huge group on AC for me... AC bumped their own pax to take the booking in high season. I can't imagine what it cost Cathay.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
We were talking about International.

Advanced seat selection - Tango yes Flex yes
Super Elites get 3 pieces of checked baggage on Tango or Flex.
We have access to data on how many of these customers made a change, how many customers bought their tickets before promotions announced, how many customers stood by for a flight (and 'better standby place', how do you standby on Asia where there's 1 flight a day?) etc.
)
IN THE PAST, even if your calculations are right, when you change the variables, it's no longer valid. Simple math.

I've paid Flex only to maintain status and a remote chance of an eUp upgrade. Now that it's going to be simply impossible to use eUps, what's the reason for me to do so? IF your price was competitive vs. US airlines on US routes, or if your service and cabin was close to Asian airlines on Asia routes then MAYBE you had a valid argument. But, WHY would I pay MORE for an inferior J class on AC where CX is so much better in all cabins yet CHEAPER? like seriously?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by YQMer
Not to split hairs on this point, and I know that the OP to this post said GDP, but it really isn't the relevant measure here. Approx. 98% of businesses in Canada are classified as small (have less than 100 employees), and these represent nearly 50% of all people employed in the country, i.e. would-be flying business people. (source is from the same link)
Good point. Point taken!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by YQMer
I agree with this--787 is very superior IMO (I believe you and I were on the same first flight IIRC).

The issue for me (and has seems also to be supported by others) is more that the 787 is the relative exception now in terms of J experience. But that the new regime is predicated on high cost/high quality for all upgrades.
Yes we were
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:21 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Look, I won't deny the discrete cost of moving somebody from Y to an empty J seat at boarding 45 mins before departure isn't huge, but it does two things:

1) It cheapens the J product - I will again reference our European and Asian competitors who have very tight access policies to their premium cabins, and point out how highly valued they are, especially compared to our American competition - ever wonder why F fares are so cheap on US carriers?
I had explicitly asked you that question earlier, so I'm glad that there was a response

One thing though; if some posters are being called to task on not comparing Apples to Apples, then we have to do the same. Air Canada doesn't have anything close to an F product, and it was a good move for them to remove the Executive "First" branding from their seats.

I believe that misbranding also led to a de-valued perception of AC's product internationally, as the naming did not match up to their perception of a "First" experience. It will take time for that change to replace previous conceptions of AC, especially for those who chose J/F on other airlines and haven't experienced the new 787 J experience.

As for the US, I've flown F and J domestic and international on United - to use another *A as an example. United F and J are a joke domestic and transborder, not even close to AC's non-international J. I would be surprised if anyone disagrees with me on that one. Mind you, I did have one great ORD-SFO flight once on a Boeing 777-200 being repositioned.

I believe that is a product issue, not a perception of a "cheapness" from fulfilling that. Well, perhaps a little, but in my mind it's primarily the product. I am completely guilty of buying J/F on United instead of AC, but crediting my miles to AC, due to their cost. With the lack of a possibility of an upgrade, if the cost of J/F on United is only marginally higher than a Flex fare - and I'll meet my 50K minimum metal requirements - I would go for United.

I had previously stuck with AC with the hopes of being a MM one day, and passing up cheaper *A fares, but there is very little incentive right now. I don't even know if there will be a valued MM membership by the time I reach it.

With US carriers, there is a lack of consistency (I had CRT TVs on a GRU-IAD flight last year) in their products, especially when compared to non-US airlines, resulting in their being unable to charge similar fares.

Last edited by Absolute; Oct 25, 2014 at 1:32 pm
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by SansSerif
Non-AC frequent flier here. Could someone briefly explain in a few sentences why everyone finds these changes so frustrating?

From what I've read, it looks like the "50% on AC-metal" requirement and the difficulty of upgrading using vouchers seem to be causing most of the controversy. It also looks like some people are upset over lounge access, though IIRC Priority Pass membership gives you access to most if not all AC lounges.

But to an outsider who's only really flown on Delta, these changes hardly seem revolutionary or a complete "decimation" to anything.

So either I'm not understanding the changes correctly - or AC's frequent flier program used to be a magically generous wonderland that I, being an American, never really had a chance to participate in.

Which is it?
I believe the biggest benefit from the AC altitude program is eupgrades - and that's what they cut and that's what ticked me off.

American Airlines have a very good upgrade scheme where their Platinum (SuperElite equivalent) members get 8 systemwide upgrades, no questions asked, for themselves or any passenger they designate:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...s/upgrades.jsp
http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/aadvantageupgrades.jsp

At one point, two years ago, Air Canada had a really good one too. It was slightly different structured, e.g. you can nominate a max of 5 people to upgrade and there was plenty to go around. You can easily earn more eupgrades when you have flown more. It was a nice balance.

Now, Air Canada has basically killed the benefit. If you are flying to Europe, you can only get a max of 3 upgrades based on the eupgrade requirements and thresholds. As someone pointed on this forum, and which I highly concur, that's not enough for you and your significant other for a holiday to Europe. You would run out by the time you fly back.

You would also only earn more upgrades after you fly 60,000 miles, and tiny amounts too.

AA offers 8 systemwide/long haul upgrades. I would have been happy if Air Canada offered 6 long haul upgrades. But 3 long haul upgrades to thank/ treat people who fly over 100,000 miles or 95 flights a year is just way too low/disproportionate.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alexbc
Just the technology part IMO, not comfort.

My biggest issue is Y, they're so incredibly uncomfortable. Embraer is more comfortable and HD Product is worse than Air Transat and 787 is only shiny and new, again, it's absolutely less comfortable than even the old 333 and 767 Y seats.

Haven't been on Premium Y to comment.
I'll agree to disagree. I actually prefer the comfort much more on the 787 than other aircraft. The reverse herringbone in J, as well as the air mattress (adjustable) do it for me.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by theseatbelt
I believe the biggest benefit from the AC altitude program is eupgrades - and that's what they cut and that's what ticked me off.
Ditto.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Are there some pure Aeroplan benefits that AC is changing the policy on?

Does Aeroplan pay AC to change a reservation?

If not, and if AC states it and Aeroplan are totally independent companies, why can it mandate change (or cancellation) fees for Aeroplan awards?

Related to that - I find it inappropriate that AC would let upper tier Mileage Plus customers change or cancel reservations on its flights for free, but not let upper tier Altitude customers do the same thing on the same AC flights!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
And many many of those small businesses wouldn't be flying on business much. IE Tim Hortons Owners, hair dressers, makeup artists, real estate agents etc. Though maybe 1-2 times a year for conferences. None of them would ever make altitude. The better off ones might buy paid J, and other such things. Probably also have a preference for directs. (read don't fly much) But probably also try and get points tickets bc they have the bloody aerotin/TD Infinite Aluminum/Tin card.

ACs biggest customers list probably looks something like this;
Aeroplan (we actually know they occupy first place)
Federal Government
KPMG/Deloitte/EY/Accenture (their consultants fly around like crazies...)
Banks
Certain provincial governments
Other large CDN businesses
SMES
Holliday Goers.
I could speculate on the relative significance of the customer base too based on my personal assumptions, but I'll leave that aside. My point was that GDP wasn't particularly relevant to the issue and that nearly 50% of people employed in this country (a good proportion of whom work for firms 50>100 people) would be an important demographic.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC Elite 50K
Originally Posted by ridefar
Keep going with that logic.

6 x $882 = $5,292

12 x $492 = $5,904

So on that one flight, they made an extra $612.

Except that math is wrong. Because lets just use Ben's argument. Say you get upgraded 50% of the time. And say there are 10 flyers in economy hoping to get upgraded to those 6 seats. They still have to pay the higher Flex fare even on the 50% of the flights they don't get upgraded (to have enough miles/credits to get upgraded next time). So on every flight they now buy Tango, AC loses $390 x 10 = $3,900. Which means that net AC loses $3,288 in revenue. Not counting loss of good will, loss of loyalty, etc. Suddenly this whole thing looks a lot like a big fat mistake on AC's part, doesn't it?
No with due respect your math is wrong. More than half of AC seats sell for a fare higher than Tango. That has to do with a number of factors (millage, baggage, upgrades, and most importantly last minute travel...) So you have to weight it.

The average economy fare on that flight is going to be higher than $500.00 If you consider half of the 6 seats will sell for 500, 3 will sell for 800-1000 RT 2 will fill at lat (2000 ~) prices, and 1 flys empty... 3000 + 2600 + 4000 = 9600 - which of course the numbers are speculation based on what I've historically bought such fares for. But you can bet they've done the revenue math...

And thats why they're pulling the seats of the plane... And not putting so many on the new 787s...

Consider that maybe 5% of the FF community is on this board - and 10% of the others will be POed when they get their package and the other 85% probably won't notice the impact will be negligible... More revenue...
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, MM, MP, onepass, Fairmont Platinum, Millennium Hotels Elite
Originally Posted by newguy62
As many have said, this is basically a gigantic "F U" to AC's most frequent fliers, the Super Elites. AC on one hand says they recognize they need to compete on product (particularly to/from Asia) AND want to have more paid J class passengers, but on the other hand, they have priced their currently average to below average Asia J product higher than their competitors. How does that create an incentive to pay for AC J class?

As a frequent Asia flyer and SE for many years, I have seen the SE program continually devalued and benefits almost disappearing with these latest changes. The reason for any loyalty at all was the reasonable chance that for a premium price compared to competitors, we MIGHT get an upgrade to a not so great J cabin, or alternatively purchase a reasonably priced Z class ticket, for which there are fewer and fewer opportunities. To now, this has been somewhat worth it.

Looking forward, why on earth would I choose to pay the premiums that AC seems to feel it deserves for their J product compared to competitors knowing that doing so will not give me any further opportunity to earn an upgrade in the future with such a devalued program? A quick check, which I invite the AC reps to replicate, of a YOW-PEK J class flight November reveals major availability on United for CDN $4400 all in, while AC's availability is far lower, and the lowest price for "discounted" J is $5300.

That is a 20% premium that we are expected to pay and I take this opportunity to ask our AC reps what reason we have to do this?

Andrew: Since you are now here on behalf of AC perhaps you might answer the above?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
There is a long way to go before they are at the level of European / Asian carriers. I can appreciate that they are making efforts, but still a ways to go.
Yes, there is. Not on every flight, but on too many flights. Whether the ritual burning of food in the ovens, the unsmiling and/or barely interested cabin crew, the questionable cleanliness of the seating areas, and the lavs which by the end of the flight are reminiscent of a third-world latrine, there is a long way to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.