Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude for 2015 were announced. As always, weve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canadas focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wings100
I bought a Europe Lat FP two days ago and now will not have enough to upgrade using my pass.

They will not refund....major betrayal
I bought one 8 credits today. Already booked five, all upgraded using 2014 credits.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
From my 6 ft 4 in son's report of flying back to school YYZ-LHR in 777 HD, at 6 ft 3 I will never fly on one of those sardine cans.

I guess the idea is to get me to buy up to Premium Economy but having never experienced that I am not sure I am so happy with my options.
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Lllahim
CX and AC have lounges at CDG. Next time you are there, check out both. The difference is 1st world (CX) v Third (AC).
Oh yes. And the 5 lounges CX has in Hong Kong are state of the art.

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I bought a Europe Lat FP two days ago and now will not have enough to upgrade using my pass.

And this is what irks me the most. For them to communicate these changes so late, knowing that many of us have bought Flex/Latitude flight passes or flights into next year, and we don't have any recourse.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Stranger
The marginal cost of upgrading someone to a J seat that would have gone empty is clearly very little.

However you guys seem to be missing the real issue. THEY ARE LOWERING THE NUMBER OF J SEATS. Replacing them by two or three or four sardine cans seats. Just compare the 788 with the 763 they replace. Or the 333.

And since apparently there are enough masochists who love the sardine can concept, yes at the end of the day they will increase revenue.

Welcome to the new AC. I wish your employer does not expect you to fly sardine can class.
Even if that was true, there is still no point in lowering the availability of eUps and raising the cost. They could just let the system stand and fewer people would end up being upgraded. Something else is going on here. I would like to think it is well thought out, but I have concluded it is either willful blindness to the market or just gross stupidity.

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

I'd dispute it with my CC.
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yvr76
And this is what irks me the most. For them to communicate these changes so late, knowing that many of us have bought Flex/Latitude flight passes or flights into next year, and we don't have any recourse.
What's new though? They do this every year and we hear this every year. At least they are consistent in this regard....I goofed. I did a MR to hit 75K before they announced the changes. What a waste of money.
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Dorian
I'd dispute it with my CC.
If it's an AMEX, you'll win.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Just put in two status match requests to competitors. ^
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE
I admit I skipped from page 75 to 86 to reply.. sorry if some comments have been made already.

Originally Posted by GJS - yow
So now I have to pray for oversold flights?

A new version of Aerolotto!
Yes. Which increases the value of NA M passes. In most cases you'll be able to decide the day before which flight has the highest chances of being oversold. And if you don't get an OPUP, you can volunteer and take some VDB credit. Great for those with schedule flexibility...

Originally Posted by Silvercity
Well said. I know lots say this was happening but I'm truly fascinated. There is no way to spin it. They have killed the FF program.
After having been modelling the cost to AC for a FF. (I have to finalize, but my estimate is 3.5k for E50 and 10k for SE in the new scheme if I value eUpgrades on the most lucrative INTL routes for the flyer) it shouldn't be too surprising. I dislike it but being an economist myself, I can see why you do it from a business perspective. After all, do those SE's on average generate 10k additional profit that they would not have done if AC didn't have a FFP at all?

There is little, if any, incentive to seriously focus on a FFP. After all, there are "millions" of non-status AP members and only roughly (2007 forum quotation) 10k SE members. Even if I assume there is only 1M AP members, and they on average take 1 long-haul flight a year in tango, say $800 return. That is $800M.

Say those SE's spend on average 20k to get their status. (I'm below that, but I believe I'm in the category "bottomfeeder"). That's 20M for 10K SE's. Compared to the total revenue, it's peanuts.

It get's even worse... AC's revenue for 2013 was $12.8B. I'm guessing that the number of non-AP members is larger than in the assumptions above, resulting in a proportion coming from non-E's that is even more skewed than calculated above. Let's face it, in the grand scheme of things, FFers are probably marginal revenue and profit.

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
I've been tied up with my actual day job, not to mention this thread and others, so I'm sorry if I'm not as expeditious as you'd like. Rest assured I will reply when I have a chance.
I greatly value you still being on this thread and providing sporadic clarifications.

Last edited by YXXFlyer; Oct 25, 2014 at 3:08 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:07 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by chaptwo
Can I ask a question to Ben and the others ?

What is left for those who are not SE's ?

Where the SE's are concerned, they are over 90% in the negative with their reactions to the rolling out of your plans for the next year.

I will not deny any of the SE's the right to voice their views. To see some of the miles totals they travel, it's simply astounding and I'm surprised some of them are restrained.

But if they are pissed, what's left for the rest of us ?

Ben, your team says you want people to pay for J and you are not a charity. AC is a business, and I own one myself. I grant that.

To me, it feels like Altitude is simply mimicing LH's Miles and More program going forward. You are either at the highest level, or we just have to deal with you. In many ways, it's like creating a caste system. From everything I can feel: from posts, to benchmarking against other carriers and the research done, it does come down to that.

The other half of the loyalty brand in spirit, has been rolled into that other incredibly confusing Distinction mess that keeps any of us who fly on the phone trying to explain it to our families and friends.

Having been at an Elite level with AC for almost 15 years, my wife for the last five, it's not just about the upgrade chances anymore. I apologize that I simply cannot make the thresholds necessary to hit the SE level like some of my posting heros here.

But after 70 pages of this, it's the resignation to the fact that it seems like we are simply unimportant where your 'loyalty' program is involved. We pay escalating prices each year no matter what the price of the market.

I for one, have not bought a tango ticket in two years. Flex tickets are not cheap for some of us. Neither are the flight passes. A $ 20k spend on flight passes is a good chunk of change for a growing company.

Even for us 'bottom feeder' types, you are selling our limited perks out for cash anyhow, such as the lounge opportunities.

As many others have stated, I appreciate you being on here and I'm guessing you are either enjoying the theatrics to a certain degree or rolling your eyes. We are too.

I hope you enjoy the drama, and I'm sure the SE's will get something back.

But what about those of us below ?

Thanks.
You'll have to evaluate our program and determine how it meshes with your travel patterns, but we still offer a host of benefits: extra baggage, lounge access, priority services, preferred seating access (either complimentary or at a reduced rate, depending on your status), etc.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:08 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Does Aeroplan pay AC to change a reservation?

If not, and if AC states it and Aeroplan are totally independent companies, why can it mandate change (or cancellation) fees for Aeroplan awards?

Related to that - I find it inappropriate that AC would let upper tier Mileage Plus customers change or cancel reservations on its flights for free, but not let upper tier Altitude customers do the same thing on the same AC flights!
If you change an AP reservation, you are paying AP and AC sees none of that revenue. When SEs were making use of their free change waiver, we footed the bill. We cannot mandate or dictate what Aeroplan charges, for better or worse.

When you redeem a ticket via MileagePlus (or any other Star partner) it's them who levies the charges, so if UA allows free changes that's UA's prerogative and we don't get involved.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:10 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by newguy62
Andrew: Since you are now here on behalf of AC perhaps you might answer the above?
Our pricing should always be in line with the major players on a particular route (and we benchmark and monitor fares as they are updated 4x/day). If our fares are appearing higher, it's because there is less availability on that date due to fuller flights. Supply and demand at work.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
You'll have to evaluate our program and determine how it meshes with your travel patterns, but we still offer a host of benefits: extra baggage, lounge access, priority services, preferred seating access (either complimentary or at a reduced rate, depending on your status), etc.
Still no one has answered why we'd continue to fly AC past 100k when we could just direct our J travel to another carrier and/or alliance.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:13 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Dorian
Still no one has answered why we'd continue to fly AC past 100k when we could just direct our J travel to another carrier and/or alliance.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.