Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude for 2015 were announced. As always, weve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canadas focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: United M+: Platnum to 2016 AC E75K to 2015
Originally Posted by yvr76
I'm not a social media guy, but the hashtag should be #altitude2015. This isn't an Aeroplan issue, but one with the Altitude program.
Done!
#Altitude2015

Last edited by NeoRichards; Oct 27, 2014 at 12:27 am
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-seen-airline/

Word is out there that Air Canada is the most honest Air Line
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
The eup award numbers at the beginning of the year are not changing
Yes, but maybe they will thrown in a few more with our beginning-of-year privilege choices? Maybe?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Wow!

I watch NFL football for an afternoon and suddenly I am 20 pages behind!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM
Originally Posted by cperciva
I recommend announcing those tweaks as quickly as possible. Based on the numbers I've seen in this thread, I suspect Air Canada will be losing a hundred thousand dollars a week from flyertalkers alone who decide to book on other airlines.
Air Canada's Weekly revenue is approx. CAD$238M based on 2013 numbers ... 100,000$ per week?

238,000,000$ vs 100,000$
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
i am a 14 year SE..close to 2 MM....still another 5- 10 years of business travel left in me... Currently travelling 240K-260K per year with 90% on AC.

Been on this board through all the recent devaluations...but not as active as others...

I have sympathized with other Elites every year as benefits got cut even though those cuts did not affect me. It has been a tough few years for those of us that fly.

I am not a 'bottom feeder', nor abuser...just a guy flying a lot for work and pleasure.

While these cuts don't greatly affect me as I usually end the year with excess eUPs ( yes I have helped several people on this board over the years), I still think it's brutal what AC is doing to its loyal customers...cutting way to much way too fast...I realize that AC does not consider many here to be loyal because they are only out to maximize their miles.... but they all work within the program that AC has set out and they generate $$$ for AC.

But there are many new people who have stepped forward in the last few days and have posted for the first time to vent their frustrations over what is happening,

I don't know that they care, but I hope that AC (Ben S. And Andrew know who I am and my spend) are paying attention to the fact that these changes have tweaked something that is negative for all of us.

Plumber
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
For all my personal long haul trips / vacations I only pay extra and buy Flex so that I can try upgrading. Now I will stick to tango and just sit in the exit row. For free.
Exactly.
Flex is too expensive a difference to pass muster with most companies (you would think)

Still never understand why they wouldn't let us use 30 credits (or some high amount) to upgrade once in a while - heck in the old days we are least had the special burgundy certificates to use once in a while.

BTW - who can buy a six segment flight for $300? what fare is that?
Best i can ever do it 500+ for most round trips....
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Acnyyz
Were you not the poster who said they spent $12k and got SE? And yet you want them to cut back on non-SE's? I'd be careful what I wished for if I were you. $12k in revenue for SE sounds to me like a bad deal for AC. You might soon find yourself no longer SE.

ETA: no disrespect intended
I suspect you are referring to me... I was using a $12k figure.

And just to be clear, and because it is so far upthread at this point, the $12k is the difference between Tango and Flex if you flew 100,000 miles worth of segments between YYC and YYZ. So, if Tango was $14k, Flex would be $26k.

I then went on to point out that if that described you as a traveler, you could then say the incremental cost of getting SE was $12k. You could also say that you would get 11 upgrades in that journey to 100k. Which would price each upgrade at $1,090. Which is an awfully expensive way to upgrade 11 segments. You would quite literally be better off buying 11 Z fares and saving you (and costing AC) about $5500 over the Tango fare.

Which I also went on to say makes the whole FF value proposition in 2015 a complete joke. And a scam.

YMMV.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lllahim
That's not true. There were quite a few SEs who sided very firmly with those (mid-tier elites) who were hit. Some encouraged SEs to write letters on their behalf in protest over co-pay and similar downgrades. Midtiers protect super elite privilege. Dismantle them and SE become very vulnerable. That was said last year. It did not take long to be proven rght.
Correct - just as now Tango is virtually useless and flex is double the price, soon Flex will be useless and Latitude will be what matters ...
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
The new e-upgrade program increases the credits for high revenue fares (Flex M and Latitude) by 2x and lower Flex fares by 50%. Is that not enough? If you keep last year's e-upgrade threshold levels (every 20K) and amounts in place I think we'll appreciate the balance between the business case and your loyalty program.

Maybe I feel too entitled to buy a 6 credit Latitude European FP and have enough credits to upgrade them as an SE (which we no longer do with the new threshold credits), but given that revenue management locks down R and P space to protect paid J, it seemed like a pretty good proposition for both sides.
paid "J" will be you ... is all of us when we stop upgrading for free!!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by nowinyow
While I commend your resolve, I suspect the giant will not change its stance. Nor should they. There's nothing worse than coming out with new policies, only to retract them. A company that second-guesses itself has more rudementary issues than its' public presence, or in this case, it's FF program.

AC sold it's loyalty program for a quick buck. Until that clause expires, they need to do to their FF what needs to be done to maintain themselves as a viable corporation. Beyond that expiration date? Who can say what will happen.

As a SE for the last 8 or 9 years, I ignored the writing on the wall starting about 6 years ago. None of the drastic cuts affected me. I was sympathetic, but was not in any position to be more than that. Cuts to SE that were made then, such as 1KK etc, never really bothered me.

This year, it all came tumbling down. If I had to guess, I'd say I spend $25,000-$30,000 per year with AC on air travel. Mostly flex, some Latitude, some Z.

I've reached SE again for 2015, but as of my next booking, everything will be on UA. I mean no disrespect to AC. I fully respect the actions AC has taken with regards to FF's. Respecting it, though, doesn't mean I have to accept it. I will, going forward, respectfully decline flying AC. Most of my business travel can be accomplished on several airlines. With this latest round of cuts, they've provided me with an excuse to move on. I can get the same, if not better than what they now offer, at a lower cost to my company.

I do thank the Bens and Andrew et al for their input and their frankness. While some interpret this as hostile, I always believe honesty is the best policy, however it is delivered.
I thank them too - but the writing is on the wall. I estimate my spend is 30k and i am SE again next year. But most is on Tango fare - and with no value for Tango there is no loyalty to AC anymore - no defense of them i get more value for the low price fares on other airlines. And better chance of upgrades and earning miles. I was on my way to MM but with reduced tango earnings i have to travel 4 times as far - basically should be a 4 MM club.

Can others help me to decide how and who to best transfer to another program and get the most bang for the miles?

(unless of course AC makes some changes ...)
Which even a few like these would be very enticing ....
1. free standby at airport for SE
2. option for Tango upgrades at high eupgrade level
3. reduce the minimum AC requirement to 33% of the time - since it has been only 10% still a big increase but not as huge a shock
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by montezume
You're dreaming if you think that AC is going to back down on any of this anytime soon. The changes are coming. If you don't like them, get out now.
I'll bet you.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by maradori
Actually the 2011 program was really brutal too, when e-ups were first introduced (which is consistent with my memory of using paper certs only once when i was Elite for 2010)

2011 started off especially painful because when the e-ups were first introduced, Es could not start the year with 2 international upgrades (unlike 2010 where we start the year off with two red SSWU)

The backlash was big enough (and unfortunately, personally towards Andrew Yiu) that I think???? AC quickly revised the program to make things fairer for E.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...iscussion.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...s-program.html

I think a lot of us SEs are hoping this equally large backlash will convince AC to reconsider the 2015 changes.
will not happen
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
While the cutbacks are dissappointing, with 4 personally paid business class flights coming up late this year / early next year for vacation, I am actually looking forward to the upcoming product improvements that has sort of been prophesized.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:11 pm

When I think about it, when AC introduced co-pays for upgrades last year, there was an FAQ published by AC about the changes.

One of them was:

Q: Why not charge additional eUpgrade Credits, instead of the eUpgrade Add-on?

A: By charging additional eUpgrade Credits for an upgrade, we would impact the ability of many Altitude members to upgrade on more flights, particularly for travel within North America. Additionally, this would not adequately balance the cost of a premium cabin upgrade.

I find it absurd that AC is now increasing the required upgrade credits less than one year after they said they introduced co-pays to maintain the number of required eupgrade credits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.