FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:16 am
DistressedAssetInvestor

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G, Natl XcElite
SE's spending 20k+ have many options...

I rack up most of my miles doing the Canada - Asia TPAC runs five or six times a year, the rest of the miles to the U.S.

Two to three of the TPAC long hauls are in paid J, the rest on flex. I echo other's comments here that I book flex for only two reasons: To be able to upgrade, and because Tango fares don't usually exist by the time I make flight bookings. The 100% accumulation of miles does not factor into practical decision-making for North American flights.

The two way cutback on eupgrades means maybe 3, (possibly 4 if lucky) segment upgrades for international long haul. And I count myself lucky that I usually have enough control over my time to be able to move the booking to +/- 2 days to get better upgrade space when J >6 seats just a few days out. Like others, I feel this cut along with losing one nominee spot downright offensive for giving AC revenue loyalty.

For all this hassle, and for my usual spend range of 20k to 30k to accomplish up to 120,000 miles of flying, I've got enough flexibility to do away with the rapidly diminishing returns of the AC program, and I suspect many business managers/owners here fit or exceed this budget profile.

There isn't real business class seats and service on your Rouge flights to the U.S. anyhow, so I don't even bother to think about upgrades... just get me an aisle seat and I won't be much less comfortable than those upfront.

Lots of options out of YVR to Asia, and I look forward to the arrival of more Chinese airlines in Toronto to give YYZ to PEK or PVG more price rationality.