Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I canceled my TD card 14 months ago. I strongly recommend that anyone considering the card to consider alternative options. I have no respect for TD Bank and will avoid the financial institution in the future. Here's why;
- It took almost 1 1/2 months to obtain the card approval, despite my having an excellent credit rating.
- Multiple errors made in issuing the card from including the use of an incorrect AP number.
- Forced to visit a branch to obtain the card where I had to wait 30 minutes until an employee came to try and sell me financial products I neither needed, nor wanted.
- Repeated phone calls from call center to purchase debt insurance product that was inappropriate for me. (never carry a balance, more than enough cash on hand to cover any credit card debt, all of which would have been known when the credit check was done)
- Obnoxious call center employees
- Beligerent and rude response when I called to cancel the card.

I switched to CIBC after this. The service was just as bad, with a denial of a purchase of an airline ticket because the amount of was too large despite being within my limit. (The issue was eventually resolved, but I lost out on the seat sale, and ended up paying more for the ticket thanks CIBC.) The CIBC data management is not as advanced as with AMEX and it really isn't a bank where customer service is a characteristic. Better than TD, but worse than my dealings with BMO or RBC.

I have gone back to AMEX. What a difference. Efficient & professional. I applied for my card 4 days ago and received it in the mail today. What a pleasant change. I will appreciate the better website and better reports including year end spend report. Think twice before selecting TD.
I only use TD and CIBC for their FYF credit card sign-up bonuses.Even though I don't like their service...I view it as the "cost" for getting free points.
Just received my initial 15k points for a TD app.done at the end of November.Looking fwd to the further 10k in 3 months.The annual fee was charged on my 1st statement,let's see if I have to pick up the phone after the next statement to get it reversed......
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:32 pm

I canceled my TD card 14 months ago. I strongly recommend that anyone considering the card to consider alternative options. I have no respect for TD Bank and will avoid the financial institution in the future.
I understand your experience is lousy. My on the other hand was a success with regards to getting points to date. Many applications and a ton of points. Customer service is on and off depending on the rep and reasons for calling. Based on my experience its worth the hustle.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I understand your experience is lousy. My on the other hand was a success with regards to getting points to date. Many applications and a ton of points. Customer service is on and off depending on the rep and reasons for calling. Based on my experience its worth the hustle.
And based on my experience, there is no hustle - I've had nothing but good experiences with TD. I can't explain the difference, only that there is one.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE100k
I canceled my TD card 14 months ago. I strongly recommend that anyone considering the card to consider alternative options. I have no respect for TD Bank and will avoid the financial institution in the future. Here's why;
- It took almost 1 1/2 months to obtain the card approval, despite my having an excellent credit rating.
- Multiple errors made in issuing the card from including the use of an incorrect AP number.
- Forced to visit a branch to obtain the card where I had to wait 30 minutes until an employee came to try and sell me financial products I neither needed, nor wanted.
- Repeated phone calls from call center to purchase debt insurance product that was inappropriate for me. (never carry a balance, more than enough cash on hand to cover any credit card debt, all of which would have been known when the credit check was done)
- Obnoxious call center employees
- Beligerent and rude response when I called to cancel the card.

I switched to CIBC after this. The service was just as bad, with a denial of a purchase of an airline ticket because the amount of was too large despite being within my limit. (The issue was eventually resolved, but I lost out on the seat sale, and ended up paying more for the ticket thanks CIBC.) The CIBC data management is not as advanced as with AMEX and it really isn't a bank where customer service is a characteristic. Better than TD, but worse than my dealings with BMO or RBC.

I have gone back to AMEX. What a difference. Efficient & professional. I applied for my card 4 days ago and received it in the mail today. What a pleasant change. I will appreciate the better website and better reports including year end spend report. Think twice before selecting TD.
I have the same card for last 4+ years, and same with a few others I've got great experience and never had any problem with the card or the services. I lost my card one time and they rushed it to a branch nearby right away (I was traveling and working in a different city for the week). Otherwise, I got my renewal in the mail and almost never had to speak to anyone about my card. Sorry to hear about your experience, I didn't sounds good at all!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jubberly
I only use TD and CIBC for their FYF credit card sign-up bonuses.Even though I don't like their service...I view it as the "cost" for getting free points.
Just received my initial 15k points for a TD app.done at the end of November.Looking fwd to the further 10k in 3 months.The annual fee was charged on my 1st statement,let's see if I have to pick up the phone after the next statement to get it reversed......
I had to spend some time on the phone with TD. My 90-day bonus didn't post, and only 50% of my fee was credited to my account. Took a little back-and-forth but eventually they did the right thing.

I hope your experience is smoother, but be prepared to fight
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Real life situation here:
I have one delayed (and hopefully not lost) bag now.

The T&C state:
Delayed and Lost Baggage Insurance 17
Shop for delayed items. If your baggage is delayed more than six hours, each insured person on your trip is covered for emergency purchases of essentials, such as clothing and sundry items. Should your baggage be lost by a Common Carrier, each insured person on your trip is covered for lost personal property. Just use your Card and/or Aeroplan miles to cover your ticket and each person is covered up to an overall maximum of $1,000 per trip.

I am a cardholder.
When I booked the trip, I used Aeroplan miles, but I also charged the taxes & fees to another card.
Am I covered by the TD Aeroplan Visa??
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305

The T&C state:
Shop for delayed items. If your baggage is delayed more than six hours, each insured person on your trip is covered for emergency purchases of essentials, such as clothing and sundry items. Should your baggage be lost by a Common Carrier, each insured person on your trip is covered for lost personal property. Just use your Card and/or Aeroplan miles to cover your ticket and each person is covered up to an overall maximum of $1,000 per trip.

I am a cardholder.
When I booked the trip, I used Aeroplan miles, but I also charged the taxes & fees to another card.
Interesting..... If you paid in FULL BY POINTS WHICH NOW YOU CAN , then it would be fine I think. But you used another card for partial payment on tickets. I don't think that will fly ?? You had your reasons but why not use the card to pay for taxes?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Interesting..... If you paid in FULL BY POINTS WHICH NOW YOU CAN , then it would be fine I think. But you used another card for partial payment on tickets. I don't think that will fly ?? You had your reasons but why not use the card to pay for taxes?
You're right. I should've.
But I've treated my TD Aeroplan Visa as a burn-and-churn, and didn't think of it at the time.

Any opinions on whether I meet the T&C?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I'm inclined to agree with 1Newflyer, the Ts & Cs state your card and/or Aeroplan miles, not your card and/or Aeroplan miles + another form of payment. So I think the insurer has the out that it needs.

But that said, why not submit a claim and see what happens?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by jerry305

The T&C state:

I am a cardholder.
Refer to "Definitions" under Delayed and Lost Baggage Insurance (Cardholder agreement and Benefit Coverages Guide, not the marketing materials you seemed to have quoted from)

ACCOUNT(S) means Your TD Credit Card Account accessed using Your TD Credit Card.

COVERED PERSON means the Account Holder, Spouse or Dependent Children whose name is on the Ticket, or, if no name is on the Ticket, for whom a Ticket has been purchased.

TICKET means evidence of the fare paid for travel on a Common Carrier and paid in full (1) by charge to Your Account,
(2) by redemption of Aeroplan Miles or (3) by a combination of (1) and (2).

=======

Pretty clear wording.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
TICKET means evidence of the fare paid for travel on a Common Carrier and paid in full (1) by charge to Your Account,
(2) by redemption of Aeroplan Miles or (3) by a combination of (1) and (2).

=======

Pretty clear wording.
You're right, it seems to be.
Thank you for researching, beep88
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:01 pm

Anyone know on which statement you are supposed to receive the 10K bonus for keeping your account active for 90 days? I seem to recall hearing it was the 3rd statement. I just got my 3rd statement and did not receive the bonus. I am eager to turf this card - but I think I am going to need to wait another month...can anyone confirm if they had to wait until the 4th statement and/or call to get it?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Anyone know on which statement you are supposed to receive the 10K bonus for keeping your account active for 90 days? I seem to recall hearing it was the 3rd statement. I just got my 3rd statement and did not receive the bonus. I am eager to turf this card - but I think I am going to need to wait another month...can anyone confirm if they had to wait until the 4th statement and/or call to get it?
Think about it 30 days? You got your 3rd within that time frame?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Originally Posted by pokee
I'm well past 90 days and continuing to chase that bonus. For the second month in a row, they have promised it will be on the next statement. Third time's a charm, I hope.

Bottom line: expect to follow up with TD.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by unclepants
I'm well past 90 days and continuing to chase that bonus. For the second month in a row, they have promised it will be on the next statement. Third time's a charm, I hope.

Bottom line: expect to follow up with TD.
Its 1 in 30 shot to get your 3rd statement within 90 days. Approval needs to be on the same day of the month as statements. But you are implying the 3rd statement was well past 90 days from activation. How is that possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.