Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet Network Updates

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
The Paris service increase is probably the best news. I'd contend that of all the non-stops WS has added from YYC, CDG is the most useful.

But the 787 service on YYZ-CUN is confusing. Didn't WS previously make a big fanfare about consolidating all its Dreamliners in Calgary?
That was only for the intercontinental routes. They still served YYZ/YVR to sun destinations the last few years. It does seem though that they've moved the YVR flights into YYC and gone with double daily YYC-CUN instead of 1x each.
Fisch and Da_Master like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
…It does seem though that they've moved the YVR flights into YYC and gone with double daily YYC-CUN instead of 1x each.
Because connections during the winter always go so well! 😝
Old May 14, 2024, 10:58 pm

I flew WS (YYC-OGG) recently on the 787 it was packed…. The real reason yyc-ogg gone is prob because they simply don’t have enough 787s to fly the route. WS probebly regrets not taking the remaining 3 787s

yyc-yyz on the 787 was also popular and packed, bad idea to remove it.
smilee and YYCguy like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Lsflyer81
WS probebly regrets not taking the remaining 3 787s
Doubt it.
Old May 16, 2024, 11:51 am

Programs: AC 35k
YYC-YYZ and YYC-OGG are both fine on the 7M8. Not sure on the metrics for CASM for 787 vs. 737 MAX 8 but guessing 7M8 is more economical for WestJet.
Old May 19, 2024, 10:28 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by cedric
Doubt it.
They almost certainly do regret not taking the additional Dreamliners. They don't have the aircraft to build on their Asia business (Hong Kong or Taipei seem like a next logical step) or to add destinations in Europe (Zurich, Athens, Vienna) without negatively impacting something they're already doing.

Businesses that make short term "easy" cuts and reductions invariably harm their future prospects.
Old May 19, 2024, 10:34 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by Lsflyer81
I flew WS (YYC-OGG) recently on the 787 it was packed…. The real reason yyc-ogg gone is prob because they simply don’t have enough 787s to fly the route. WS probebly regrets not taking the remaining 3 787s

yyc-yyz on the 787 was also popular and packed, bad idea to remove it.
Using a Dreamliner domestically is a waste on a route that could be covered by a Max. The Dreamliners should be reserved for the transatlantic and transpacific service. There is so much more WS could do if it had the 787s to do it--add HKG, make FCO year-round, add additional destinations in Europe.
Old May 19, 2024, 1:24 pm

They don't have the aircraft to build on their Asia business (Hong Kong or Taipei seem like a next logical step) or to add destinations in Europe (Zurich, Athens, Vienna) without negatively impacting something they're already doing.
WS has no aspirations to build their Asia business or add destinations in Europe beyond what can profitably be served by a Max.
Old May 19, 2024, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
WS has no aspirations to build their Asia business or add destinations in Europe beyond what can profitably be served by a Max.
How do you know this? This seems like conjecture at best.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:56 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Alex P recently flew the inaugural YYC-ICN flight. It was 1.5hr delayed leaving. On the same day YYC- NRT BCN EDI and CDG were all delayed - from 1.5 to 4 hours.. he suggested this is a result of Westjet stretching the 787 fleet too thin.

Ron.

Old May 20, 2024, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC S100K / AC-2MM
This is awful for YQL. The flight to YQL from YYC leaves at 11:40 PM. So if you arrive on an overnight flight from somewhere in the morning you’re waiting at least 12 hours for the connection. I booked our daughter and grandsons on HNL-YVR-YYC-YQL at the end of October and the times were great. Now it has been changed so that they spend all day in YVR before going to YYC in the evening to connect to the 11:40 pm flight. Sure doesn’t encourage people to fly from YQL. I’m sure many people will just drive now.

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Interesting.

In typical "this is great news, really" fashion of any press release, this one spins the development as: "which will in most cases see an increase in the number of seats offered" in each city.

For places like Lethbridge and Medicine Hat, it looks like they're going from 3x daily (spread throughout the day) to only 1x daily ... which is pretty awful in terms of offering good connections at YYC.

IIRC, that would also be a reduction in seats for those two cities. Today each city has 3 flights x 34 seats = 102 per day. When the routes move to Encore, that drops to only 78 seats per day on a single Q400. (In fairness, I'm comparing today's schedule on the Saab to the fall schedule for the Q400 -- and the reduction in seats in the fall may also be due to seasonal fluctuations.) Still, only a single flight per day just isn't all that helpful to open up many opportunities for connection destinations.
Old May 20, 2024, 8:50 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
They almost certainly do regret not taking the additional Dreamliners.
If I recall, AVH (the new CEO) lamented the fact that WS had 787s when he joined the airline, and then he made the decision to not take the remaining orders.

He reversed course on the decision of the previous leadership to have global aspirations for WestJet — and made a comment around the time that he launched his new “leisure carrier” strategy for WS that his ideal was an all 737 airline running mostly vacation routes. His comments at the time sounded to me as though he was disappointed to be saddled with 787s.

I doubt the executive floor at WS head office is disappointed that they didn’t take more 787s.
cedric and aerobod like this.
Old May 20, 2024, 10:47 pm

How do you know this? This seems like conjecture at best.
Already answered by another poster, but besides WS being on the record that their business model needed to change, don't you think your assertion that Westjet regrets not getting more 787s is, in itself, conjecture?
Fisch and aerobod like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Interesting. Does that mean that there are some winter route additions to follow shortly?
Yes it does:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...as-canada-s-le

New winter routes were announced this morning:
YYC-TQO - 1x weekly
YYZ-TQO - 3x weekly
YYZ-GND - 1x weekly (Currently not bookable)
YVR-FLL - 1x weekly
YWG-FLL - 1x weekly
YWG-SJD - 1x weekly
YLW-MZT - 1x weekly

They also finally extended YEG-ATL into the winter months.
FlyerJ, aerobod and V1213 like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
Yes it does:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...as-canada-s-le

New winter routes were announced this morning:
YYC-TQO - 1x weekly
YYZ-TQO - 3x weekly
YYZ-GND - 1x weekly (Currently not bookable)
YVR-FLL - 1x weekly
YWG-FLL - 1x weekly
YWG-SJD - 1x weekly
YLW-MZT - 1x weekly

They also finally extended YEG-ATL into the winter months.
Only 1 new route from their YYC hub for winter? And only 1x per week? Feels kinda … light. I was definitely hoping for more

Are they still likely to announce more additions to the winter schedule, or is this it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.