WestJet Network Updates

Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:25 am
  #766  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Posts: 1,131
Originally Posted by tiberria
Both Westjet and AC have YHZ-YVR routes using Max 8s which reaches/exceeds that 5800 km threshold I'm pretty sure.
No, YHZ-YVR is "only" 4430 km, so easily within range of the MAX8.
aerobod and Da_Master like this.
PHXflier is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:40 am
  #767  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,499
Originally Posted by tiberria
Both Westjet and AC have YHZ-YVR routes using Max 8s which reaches/exceeds that 5800 km threshold I'm pretty sure.
As PHX Flyer said it is 4,430km flight distance direct, but if you navigated by following the Trans Canada it would be 5,896km
aerobod is online now  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:15 pm
  #768  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Posts: 2,949
How far ahead do flights open up for purchase? I thought it was something like 330 days, but Im only seeing flights to Feb 12 next year.
Sopwith is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2024, 1:24 pm
  #769  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 440
From Sep. 16 - end of its seasonal run YEG-SEA appears to have been upguaged to a mainline 737. From May until September it stills shows on Encore DH4.

WS1558 YEG 13:35 - 14:48 SEA 737 1457
WS1559 SEA 15:40 - 18:41 YEG 737 1457
V1213 likes this.
hollywoodcory17 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2024, 5:11 pm
  #770  
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 18
How does Discover airlines fly 2x/day on some days to YYC? Like Im surprised theres enough demand to fill 2 whole A330s. Will there still be a share for Condor?

Also how long is the WS86 - YYC -ICN and WS87 ICN - YYC
Lsflyer81 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2024, 8:18 pm
  #771  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YYC, Canada
Programs: AC 35k
Posts: 1,905
Originally Posted by Lsflyer81
How does Discover airlines fly 2x/day on some days to YYC? Like Im surprised theres enough demand to fill 2 whole A330s. Will there still be a share for Condor
off topic for this forum but AC had a daily 789 for years to FRA before they cut it last year. Discover is taking the space of AC year round - Discover ran seasonally in summer before that. And pre pandemic Condor was also around. So this isnt a net increase.
Da_Master likes this.
YXUFlyboy is offline  
Old Apr 8, 2024, 12:12 am
  #772  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 16,922
Originally Posted by Lsflyer81
Also how long is the WS86 - YYC -ICN and WS87 ICN - YYC
What do you mean by "how long"? Are you asking how long the flight is, or how long it's on the schedule?

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
off topic for this forum but AC had a daily 789 for years to FRA before they cut it last year. Discover is taking the space of AC year round - Discover ran seasonally in summer before that. And pre pandemic Condor was also around. So this isn’t a net increase.
Discover didn't exist before mid-2021. While you're right that the daily flight replaces the old AC848/849 (previously 844/845), the summer seasonal 3/4x weekly has only been around since summer of 2022. So relative to pre-pandemic, there is actually a sizeable increase in capacity between YYC and FRA.

But in keeping with the topic of this thread, WS has by far the largest share of the TATL traffic. The decision to focus the 787s here has resulted in both new routes and added capacity on existing ones, so the options for non-stop travel between YYC and Europe are better than they've ever been.
Da_Master likes this.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old Apr 8, 2024, 1:31 pm
  #773  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 440
Some adds/seasonal extensions in today's update:

YWG-BNA - Starts September 16 2x weekly (runs until mid-November)
YWG-YUL - Daily in the summer, 5x weekly in the winter
YWG-YOW - Daily in the summer, 5x weekly in the winter (No 6 week gap unlike last year)
YEG-YUL - Increased to daily in the summer, extended year-round with 4x weekly in the winter
YEG-YOW - Extended to year-round

YYC-KEF - Extended an additional week into October
YYC-FCO - Ramps up quicker / goes daily from May 9 instead of May 16.

A bunch of sun routes were reduced as well including:
YXE-PHX
YYC-LAS
YYC-SJD
YYZ-CUN
YYZ-KIN
YYZ-MBJ
YYZ-VRA
YYZ-PUJ

Originally Posted by Lsflyer81
Also how long is the WS86 - YYC -ICN and WS87 ICN - YYC
Scheduled from May 17-October 27.
WS86 is 11 hours 50 minutes and WS87 is blocked at 10 hours 18 minutes
aerobod, Da_Master and V1213 like this.
hollywoodcory17 is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2024, 1:44 pm
  #774  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 440
WS is returning to YFC with new twice weekly service to YYC from June 20th.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...ick-with-intro

WS314 YYC 09:15 - 16:54 YFC 737 24
WS315 YFC 17:50 - 19:54 YYC 737 24

The article mentions that Atlantic Canada can access NRT/ICN through YYC, but this new YFC flight is the only route not timed to connect to either of those routes.

Guests travelling from Atlantic Canada will also be one stop away from accessing WestJet’s growing list of global destinations, including to Incheon International Airport in Seoul, South Korea and Tokyo’s Narita International Airport through WestJet’s global hub in Calgary.
hollywoodcory17 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 5:01 pm
  #775  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: YMJ (YQR)
Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Posts: 342
Originally Posted by V1213
With WS' 2:10 minimum connection time in NRT, none of their Asian codeshares seem to offer same day connections anyway - it seems designed only for the JL YVR flights, unless they reduce their relatively long MCT.
It looks like, effective April 14, the minimum connection time at NRT is finally being reduced to a standard 90 minutes. Thus, almost all of the JL codeshares now work!

With WS arriving at 16:25, the following JL codeshare flights connect (April 2024 schedule):
  • SIN at 17:55
  • MNL at 18:00
  • HAN at 18:00
  • HKG at 18:20
  • BKK at 18:20
SGN and KUL also carry WS codes, but misconnect (departing at 17:45 and 11:15, respectively). In the opposite direction, SGN connects (arrives 16:00), but HAN doesn't (arrives 06:25). KUL doesn't connect in the opposite direction (arrives 07:00), either.
JL has a TPE flight at 18:10, but it doesn't appear to carry a WS code. Other potential connections include ITM, NGO and MEL.
Adam Smith and cirrusdragoon like this.
V1213 is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:49 am
  #776  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 440
^And now we have codeshares with KE via ICN. Almost all of them require overnights though:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...its-network-th

Not sure why they refer to most of these as "new" when they technically have been serving them through JL since last year. The only real new one is DAD.

KE codeshares include:
-BKK
-DAD
-HAN
-SGN
-HKG
-SIN
gcashin, cirrusdragoon and V1213 like this.
hollywoodcory17 is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:55 am
  #777  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Copenhagen
Programs: skyteam
Posts: 582
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
^And now we have codeshares with KE via ICN. Almost all of them require overnights though:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...its-network-th

Not sure why they refer to most of these as "new" when they technically have been serving them through JL since last year. The only real new one is DAD.

KE codeshares include:
-BKK
-DAD
-HAN
-SGN
-HKG
-SIN
New perhaps in the sense they are with the Korean Air codeshare partnership?
cirrusdragoon is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:01 pm
  #778  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 440
Also KE is adding its code on WS86/87 YYC-ICN-YYC. I believe the only other long haul route with another airline code sharing on them is LHR with VS.

Flight numbers KE5007/5008

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
New perhaps in the sense they are with the Korean Air codeshare partnership?
Presser refers to them as "adding six additional destination in Asia."
Da_Master likes this.
hollywoodcory17 is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:15 pm
  #779  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Copenhagen
Programs: skyteam
Posts: 582
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
Also KE is adding its code on WS86/87 YYC-ICN-YYC. I believe the only other long haul route with another airline code sharing on them is LHR with VS.

Flight numbers KE5007/5008



Presser refers to them as "adding six additional destination in Asia."
In the full context of the paragraph for me it is stating : gain access to six additional cities across four Asian countries from Incheon International Airport (ICN), whereas before guests had no such option via ICN only NRT.
cirrusdragoon is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2024, 2:35 pm
  #780  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 440
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
In the full context of the paragraph for me it is stating : gain access to six additional cities across four Asian countries from Incheon International Airport (ICN), whereas before guests had no such option via ICN only NRT.
Even on social media, they are referring to them as new destinations to their network. But then again, they didn't technically formally announce any of these last year with JL so I guess to the non-aviation observing public they are "new".
hollywoodcory17 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.