WestJet Network Updates

Old May 21, 2024, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Only 1 new route from their YYC hub for winter? And only 1x per week? Feels kinda light. I was definitely hoping for more

Are they still likely to announce more additions to the winter schedule, or is this it?
It's possible they'll be more. The full winter schedule won't be published until July.

Outside of the already announced 787 expansion, I suspect at YYC they will increase frequency on exisiting routes before adding others (kinda like they did for S24). What other winter destinations could you see that isn't already served? MID? RTB?
Old May 21, 2024, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
It's possible they'll be more. The full winter schedule won't be published until July.

Outside of the already announced 787 expansion, I suspect at YYC they will increase frequency on exisiting routes before adding others (kinda like they did for S24). What other winter destinations could you see that isn't already served? MID? RTB?
Many moons ago, Westjet did charter flights on behalf of Air Transat and RTB was one of them. I hope it would come back on to their route map.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 12:06 pm

Programs: WestJet Rewards, Aeroplan
WestJet has picked up three former Lynx aircraft.

Sounds like a re-fit won't happen for a while. I suppose the inflight experience will be similar to that on ex-Swoop aircraft AKA WestJet's "all economy" configuration?

"While WestJet guests will benefit from the additional capacity across the airline’s network, the aircraft will not immediately reflect the interior cabin experience, synonymous with the WestJet Group. Updating and refreshing the interior cabins of the aircraft will be prioritized as part of the airlines’ existing fleet reconfiguration plans, to ensure a consistent experience for guests across its operation as soon as possible."

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...-max-8-aircraf
https://aviationweek.com/air-transpo...flown-lynx-air
Old Jun 6, 2024, 8:41 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JetFuelBlood
I suppose the inflight experience will be similar to that on ex-Swoop aircraft AKA WestJet's "all economy" configuration?
Old Jun 10, 2024, 12:32 am

A lot of previously scheduled routes after June 30th out of Hamilton are being cancelled, namely St. John's Newfoundland, Halifax and Orlando, per reddit. And confirmed on Westjet.com.

Calgary might be all that remains until winter.

Last edited by tecate55; Jun 10, 2024 at 12:40 am
Old Jun 10, 2024, 2:09 pm

WS / VS announce an enhanced expanded codeshare agreement

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...xpansion-of-co

VS already codeshares on WS YYC-LHR / but this new agreement includes domestic connectivity from YYZ, along with WS putting its code on VS new YYZ-LHR and destinations from LHR including DEL, BOM, BLR, CPT, JNB, LOS, DXB and VIA.

WestJet’s expanded codeshare agreement with Virgin Atlantic will be the airline’s first ever agreement enabling connectivity beyond Europe through London Heathrow, a significant milestone in growing WestJet’s global network to even more destinations through partnerships. Further, this will be the first time that WestJet guests will have access to India, Africa, and the Middle East via a WestJet marketed codeshare as part of its greater network.
V1213 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 4:58 pm

Programs: no status
I would prefer better access to central Europe. Seasonal flights to Paris and Rome sure don't cut it.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Merlin666
I would prefer better access to central Europe. Seasonal flights to Paris and Rome sure don't cut it.
Paris is daily year-round, and they already have an expanded codeshare with AF that feeds into 50+ European destinations (also served year-round) that I imagine will continue to be grown.
Fisch and aerobod like this.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold

VS already codeshares on WS YYC-LHR / but this new agreement includes domestic connectivity from YYZ, along with WS putting its code on VS new YYZ-LHR and destinations from LHR including DEL, BOM, BLR, CPT, JNB, LOS, DXB and VIA.
So what is actually missing for WS to join Sky Team now? WS is in bed with all the ST heavies...Or perhaps ST with soon joining SAS, and Asiana having enough on their plate for now....
Old Jun 11, 2024, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Doors Closing
So what is actually missing for WS to join Sky Team now?
Desire by WS, likely.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Doors Closing
So what is actually missing for WS to join Sky Team now?
Only 9 of their 20 codeshare partners are in Sky Team, 3 significant ones are in One World and 8 are not in any alliance. I don’t see that they would want to break many of their current alliances or incur the hefty membership fees and operational limitations, when they don’t have a particularly strong business offering.
Fisch likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2024, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat

Looks like the initial schedule has been loaded: Virgin Atlantic Resumes Toronto Service From late-March 2025

I'm surprised that it's so late in the day - while this would work for connections from Canada to LHR, it limits onwards connecting potential at YYZ from LHR to Canada. With a 90 minute MCT, connecting flights will have to depart YYZ from 22:00 onwards. Based on current schedules, that would still offer the main western ports: YWG, YEG, YYC & YVR. YXE and YQR could be added if they're moved 15 minutes later. I also note that DL is showing a codeshare YYZ-YOW flight that would offer connections (departing at 23:15), but, at the moment, WS does not appear to be listing this flight for Summer 2025.

Last edited by V1213; Jun 15, 2024 at 11:20 am
Old Jun 18, 2024, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold; WJ Gold
Selfishly, I have to say I love this timing: I sleep better eastbound the later the flight departs, so the later the better in my book. Plus, the later the departure from Europe back, the better the odds I can finish my work day/conference and come home the same night, versus having to spend an extra night to catch a morning flight back. Ideally, of course, having 2x or more a day is best (one early, one very late)... but selfishly, at least at the individual level, this (or later still!) is my preferred timing.

More objectively, though, I can't help but think that WS gutting YYZ service lowers the incentive for VS to worry about connections. If they were banking into a dozen departures in ON/QC, it might make sense to be earlier. But, given WS would likely rather drive any traffic west of MB through the YYC hub anyways, VS can probably fill it with GTHA demand and compete with the 2 LHR departures post 4pm, rather than the 6 earlier in the day.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by Merlin666
Virgin has no value as a connecting partner to the rest of Europe through LHR, it's all long-haul. BA would be the ideal partner for that but IIRC they ended their codeshare agreement with WS years ago when the latter started flying transatlantic in competition with Speedbird's services. But WS' preferred partner for Europe is AF anyway and given that YYC-CDG is year-round they can offer the same connectivity by routing such passengers through Paris and onto an AF connecting flight.

I wonder if the FCO flight would be viable year-round?
Old Jun 20, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by TravellingChris
I wonder if the FCO flight would be viable year-round?
FCO becomes a dead end once LH Group takes over ITA and forces ITA into Star and out of Sky Team.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.