WestJet Network Updates

Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:03 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
^And now we have codeshares with KE via ICN. Almost all of them require overnights though:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...its-network-th

Not sure why they refer to most of these as "new" when they technically have been serving them through JL since last year. The only real new one is DAD.

KE codeshares include:
-BKK
-DAD
-HAN
-SGN
-HKG
-SIN
Unfortunately the inbound Calgary flight isn't timed to allow for connections (or codesharing) on
KE 629 ICN-DPS (Bali)
KE 689 ICN-PNH (Phnom Penh, for Angkor)
KE 667 ICN-CNX (Chiang Mai)
which is disappointing.
Old May 1, 2024, 5:07 pm
Original Member

employees have been informed WS and WG integration to one AOC (air operator certificate) has been delayed from October 2024 until April 27, 2025. CIRB seems to not be allowing for the abrupt integration of Unions as the Company was hoping for.

WG will remain separate ops for Winter 24/25 season.
V1213 likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
What happened with WS' application for slots at LIS? I understand the airline applied in 2023 but there have been no updates. Not sure whether the proposal was for 787 summer service from YYC or 737 summer service from Atlantic Canada, but either way it would be an interesting development.
Da_Master likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
What happened with WS' application for slots at LIS? I understand the airline applied in 2023 but there have been no updates. Not sure whether the proposal was for 787 summer service from YYC or 737 summer service from Atlantic Canada, but either way it would be an interesting development.
They didn't get the slots for S24.

Here's the Start of season slot report in which you can see WS obtained zero.
https://slotsapi.nav.pt/uploads/slot...lineLISS24.pdf
Da_Master likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
They didn't get the slots for S24.

Here's the Start of season slot report in which you can see WS obtained zero.
https://slotsapi.nav.pt/uploads/slot...lineLISS24.pdf
I see JetBlue was also shut out. Is it because these airlines had no historical access that they lost out?
Old May 3, 2024, 10:10 pm

Slots

What about WS slots that it had at DXB?
Old May 4, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Lsflyer81
What about WS slots that it had at DXB?
What about them?
Old May 4, 2024, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
What about them?
[MENTION=10146586]Lsflyer81[/MENTION] is obviously asking what happened to WS' slots at Dubai. Were they reallocated, and to which airline(s)?

The rumour at the time they were granted was that WS would do either YYZ-DXB or YYC-DXB but obviously these plans never came to fruition.
Old May 4, 2024, 3:26 pm

The DXB slots were never used and they havent requested or obtained any since last summer.
Da_Master likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 3:37 pm

DXB-YYC is not feasible at the moment with a 787-9 without a high likelihood of a refuelling tech-stop, due to the increased flight distance to skirt Ukraine/Russia conflict zones. I can't see any enthusiasm for it with the current 787 fleet being fully utilised elsewhere.
Fisch, Adam Smith and Da_Master like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
DXB-YYC is not feasible at the moment with a 787-9 without a high likelihood of a refuelling tech-stop, due to the increased flight distance to skirt Ukraine/Russia conflict zones. I can't see any enthusiasm for it with the current 787 fleet being fully utilised elsewhere.
Even if the potential route weren't negatively impacted by the Russian invasion of Ukraine, this is another example where cancelling the options for additional 787s comes back to bite WS. They don't have the aircraft to try additional long-haul from YYC without sacrificing something they're already doing.

As I've said, I'd love to see WS try ATH as I think it would be popular as a summer seasonal destination. But they would have to pull a Dreamliner from somewhere and that would impact either another destination or frequency from YYC.
Fisch, YYCguy, unclepants and 3 others like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 5:39 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Isn't C-FLWH still sitting in the desert in WS colours? Wouldn't doing a deal with Boeing for that frame be a pretty logical outcome for both sides?
Old May 5, 2024, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Isn't C-FLWH still sitting in the desert in WS colours? Wouldn't doing a deal with Boeing for that frame be a pretty logical outcome for both sides?
Absolutely. It would give WS an additional option to expand service to another European gateway in summer (ATH is my preference but ZRH or even CPH also come to mind), or add another Pacific destination like YYC-HKG and deepen their codeshare with either CX or HX.
Fisch, YYCguy and Da_Master like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
Absolutely. It would give WS an additional option to expand service to another European gateway in summer (ATH is my preference but ZRH or even CPH also come to mind), or add another Pacific destination like YYC-HKG and deepen their codeshare with either CX or HX.
Difficult to know what is happening with C-FLWH and C-FLJS, they both flew within the past 2 months, but are still registered to WS: https://aviation.flights/boe/787/64981, https://aviation.flights/boe/787/64980

They both likely have the fuselage shimming remediation to be done before entering service with whoever.
Old May 5, 2024, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
Difficult to know what is happening with C-FLWH and C-FLJS, they both flew within the past 2 months, but are still registered to WS: https://aviation.flights/boe/787/64981, https://aviation.flights/boe/787/64980

They both likely have the fuselage shimming remediation to be done before entering service with whoever.
I read on A.net forum that theyre both going to RAM. I cant vouch for validity of this though.
aerobod likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.