WestJet Network Updates

Old May 6, 2024, 8:49 pm

If WS wanted to, could they take C-FLWH and C-FLJS
TravellingChris likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 11:38 am

Couple of winter route changes were filled over the weekend. The following 4 routes have been removed:

YEG-MBJ
YOW-MCO
YOW-MBJ
YOW-CUN
YXX-SJD
V1213 likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
Couple of winter route changes were filled over the weekend. The following 4 routes have been removed:

YEG-MBJ
YOW-MCO
YOW-MBJ
YOW-CUN
YXX-SJD
Interesting. Does that mean that there are some winter route additions to follow shortly?
Old May 11, 2024, 8:55 am

In this weeks update the winter 787 schedule was updated. Currently only showing in the OAG but should hit the booking channels tonight.

YYC-NRT - Extended to year round, 3x weekly. Goes daily from Apr. 1
YYC-CDG - Increased to daily
YYC-CUN - Increased to up to 2x daily
YYC-ICN - Resumes Apr. 2
YYC-HNL - Like last winter, 2-3x weekly

YYC-FCO seasonal resumption was pushed back to March 31

The 787 is also scheduled on:
YYC-PVR
YYZ-CUN
YYCguy, arf04, m.y and 3 others like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 6:24 am

Very happy to see NRT becoming year round as well as CDG remaining daily for the winter. Does anyone remember if AC maintained daily YYC-NRT before covid year round or frequency used to dip during winter?
TravellingChris likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 9:27 am

It was 3x weekly on AC when they ran the route year-round. It was however reduced to seasonal service just before Covid.

So itís basically the same. Daily in the summer, 3x weekly in the winter.

Official press release on the winter 787 schedule:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...vity-through-e
V1213 and TravellingChris like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: WestJet Rewards, Aeroplan
WestJet ending its CPA with Pacific Coastal and transitioning all existing routes and frequencies to WestJet Encore:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...-encore-for-fa
Old May 13, 2024, 5:07 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JetFuelBlood
WestJet ending its CPA with Pacific Coastal and transitioning all existing routes and frequencies to WestJet Encore:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...-encore-for-fa
Interesting.

In typical "this is great news, really" fashion of any press release, this one spins the development as: "which will in most cases see an increase in the number of seats offered" in each city.

For places like Lethbridge and Medicine Hat, it looks like they're going from 3x daily (spread throughout the day) to only 1x daily ... which is pretty awful in terms of offering good connections at YYC.

IIRC, that would also be a reduction in seats for those two cities. Today each city has 3 flights x 34 seats = 102 per day. When the routes move to Encore, that drops to only 78 seats per day on a single Q400. (In fairness, I'm comparing today's schedule on the Saab to the fall schedule for the Q400 -- and the reduction in seats in the fall may also be due to seasonal fluctuations.) Still, only a single flight per day just isn't all that helpful to open up many opportunities for connection destinations.
Old May 13, 2024, 5:07 pm

That's resulting in some significant frequency cuts. Eg YVR-YCD which was at 14x/week drops to 4x/week. YVR-YXC drops from 7x to 3x/week.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Interesting they chose to use 789's only 3x weekly YYC-HNL but not on the YYC-OGG route.
IIRC, they used to use 789's daily on those routes, AND they ran a daytime flight to OGG
(not sure about HNL) in addition to the late aft departure late night arrival. Id be interested to know the number of seats
to Hawaii this winter 2024 vs 2019 or even 2022. I suspect its far less. Of course AC gassed the direct YYC-OGG
and the daytime YVR-OGG flights in 2023 so its a lower bar for WJ now.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by muskoka
Interesting they chose to use 789's only 3x weekly YYC-HNL but not on the YYC-OGG route.
IIRC, they used to use 789's daily on those routes, AND they ran a daytime flight to OGG
(not sure about HNL) in addition to the late aft departure late night arrival. Id be interested to know the number of seats
to Hawaii this winter 2024 vs 2019 or even 2022. I suspect its far less. Of course AC gassed the direct YYC-OGG
and the daytime YVR-OGG flights in 2023 so its a lower bar for WJ now.
After the Maui fires, I'm not sure whether the OGG capacity will be back to what it was for a while due to both demand and accommodation challenges on the island itself.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:45 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum

YEG-MBJ
YOW-MCO
YOW-MBJ
YOW-CUN
YXX-SJD
Disappointing, though I suppose there is the possibility of Flair picking up the Edmonton-Montego Bay route.

I wonder if this is an opportunity for Porter to expand its service from Ottawa. It already serves MCO and could add service to MBJ with its existing E2s. Porter has previously stated that they want to be Ottawa's "hometown airline."
Old May 14, 2024, 11:53 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
It was 3x weekly on AC when they ran the route year-round. It was however reduced to seasonal service just before Covid.

So itís basically the same. Daily in the summer, 3x weekly in the winter.

Official press release on the winter 787 schedule:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...vity-through-e
The Paris service increase is probably the best news. I'd contend that of all the non-stops WS has added from YYC, CDG is the most useful.

But the 787 service on YYZ-CUN is confusing. Didn't WS previously make a big fanfare about consolidating all its Dreamliners in Calgary?
Old May 14, 2024, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
The Paris service increase is probably the best news. I'd contend that of all the non-stops WS has added from YYC, CDG is the most useful.

But the 787 service on YYZ-CUN is confusing. Didn't WS previously make a big fanfare about consolidating all its Dreamliners in Calgary?
Going by the timing of flights in and out of CUN, it looks as though they maybe going to do a triangular flight pattern for a given aircraft of YYC-YYZ-CUN and CUN-YYC-YYZ, although there aren't any YYC-YYZ/YYZ-YYC flights for the winter on the 789 I can see on westjet.com yet. That would mean the 789s are still YYC based, but serving YYZ in some cases.
Old May 14, 2024, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
Going by the timing of flights in and out of CUN, it looks as though they maybe going to do a triangular flight pattern for a given aircraft of YYC-YYZ-CUN and CUN-YYC-YYZ, although there aren't any YYC-YYZ/YYZ-YYC flights for the winter on the 789 I can see on westjet.com yet. That would mean the 789s are still YYC based, but serving YYZ in some cases.
The dates I checked, looked like the 787 would route YYC-CUN-YYZ overnight and return YYZ-CUN-YYC. No domestic segment.
Fisch and aerobod like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.