WestJet Network Updates

Old Jun 20, 2024, 10:45 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Doors Closing
So what is actually missing for WS to join Sky Team now? WS is in bed with all the ST heavies...Or perhaps ST with soon joining SAS, and Asiana having enough on their plate for now....
The structural obstacle for WS to join Skyteam is that hey would have to spend mega dollars codesharing and linking IT systems with 12 airlines that will not provide an adequate return in either passengers or profits. WS really only cares about the 5 major/anchor airlines (Delta, KLM, Korean, Virgin, and Delta).
Old Jun 20, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by WR Cage
FCO becomes a dead end once LH Group takes over ITA and forces ITA into Star and out of Sky Team.
But WS doesn't codeshare or interline with ITA at the moment, so it's not as if they'd be losing an existing partner.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 11:11 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by WR Cage
The structural obstacle for WS to join Skyteam is that hey would have to spend mega dollars codesharing and linking IT systems with 12 airlines that will not provide an adequate return in either passengers or profits. WS really only cares about the 5 major/anchor airlines (Delta, KLM, Korean, Virgin, and Delta).
I think you hit the nail on the head. There are a bunch of low-value members of SkyTeam like Kenya Airways, MEA, Aerolineas Argentinas, CSA, TAROM and Garuda that would provide no benefit for WS as partners. As you state, WS has already signed up the main ones that provide onward connections its customers could conceivably want (e.g. Air France CDG-ZRH, CDG-MXP, etc, Korean ICN-BKK, ICN-HCM, etc.)
Old Jun 23, 2024, 12:26 pm

In this weekend's update, WS has added its code on to DE's YVR/YYC/YEG/YYZ/YHZ-FRA services.

They also applied to the USDOT to allow DE to codeshare on select WS flights to the US effective June 27.
https://simpleflying.com/westjet-app...8-us-airports/

-----
To further the S25 schedule, I noticed that YVR-SNA appears to either be ending in late April, so simply moving to seasonal? Perhaps they'll utilize the slots on a daily YYC service instead? Either way, still way to early to tell for sure.
V1213 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
In this weekend's update, WS has added its code on to DE's YVR/YYC/YEG/YYZ/YHZ-FRA services.

They also applied to the USDOT to allow DE to codeshare on select WS flights to the US effective June 27.
This made too much sense for it to not happen. We'll see when WestJet formally announces the codeshares, and if they say anything else about the evolving relationship with DE. The ability to earn WSD and WS status on a WS-coded DE flights is notable because there are few opportunities to earn (and burn) on DE-coded flights currently.
arf04 and TravellingChris like this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 8:17 am

A positive development as it allows WS to provide connectivity to Germany even though it doesn't have the aircraft to serve Frankfurt itself.
arf04 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 8:43 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Codeshares never excite me. It's a barely-better-than-nothing action on the part of an airline, IMHO.

My reasons:
  • Without any alliance membership (discussed above, and - no - it's unlikely to ever happen) there are no reciprocal FF customer benefits -- other than with DL. If you're a frequent traveller, those benefits are really important. If, as a WS Platinum member, I fly on any airline (other than Delta) ... I get nothing. I'm a totally unknown traveller to WestJet's codeshare partner, meaning back of the long check-in line, using the slow security line, boarding zone 19, etc if I'm travelling in Y. Fine for the once-every-year-or-two leisure traveller. But not for me.
  • WS codeshares and interlines are finicky, to say the least. I have yet to have a good, seamless experience with WS plus a partner ... like the experience that is available from airlines who are part of an actual alliance. Flights within Star Alliance really do work (almost) like one big airline. Same for SkyTeam (at least DL/AM). But not so much when independent airlines slap their flight numbers on each others' flights.
  • Regardless of the airline, I'm always reluctant to book a codeshare flight number -- for the reasons above. From many years of flying, my experience has taught me that things typically go much better if I buy a WS flight number for a WS flight, a DL flight number for a DL flight, an AM flight number on an AM flight, etc, etc.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 9:14 am

Wasn’t really expecting this, but WS has quietly added YYC-MSP to the S25 schedule.

Effective April 27:
WS1611 YYC 10:30 - 14:12 MSP 737 D
WS1610 MSP 15:15 - 17:12 YYC 737 D

Last edited by hollywoodcory17; Jun 24, 2024 at 11:31 am
Old Jun 24, 2024, 11:22 am

Programs: AC 35k
Wasnt really expecting this, but WS has quietly added YYC-MSP to the S25 schedule.

Effective April 27:
WS1611 YYC 10:30 - 14:12 MSP 737 D
WS1610 MSP 15:15 - 17:12 YYC 737 D 10:30 - 14:12 MSP 737 D
WS1610 MSP 15:15 - 17:12 YYC 737 D
Gross. Does this mean we're going to lose all DL metal out of YYC?
FlyerJ likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Gross. Does this mean we're going to lose all DL metal out of YYC?
Or maybe they'll both run it 1x daily each? There's also still SLC for DL. Either way, this was a surprise. Since when does WS load new routes 10 months out?
Fisch likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
A positive development as it allows WS to provide connectivity to Germany even though it doesn't have the aircraft to serve Frankfurt itself.
Agreed. DE business fares with Westjet segments usually gives one economy for the Westjet segment, which makes them of little appeal to me. Im seeing premium segments if booked via the WS website, so I consider that to be a nice improvement. Business fares for the coming months booked via WS are pretty decent, though not rock bottom, but they are far below AC and LH for the itineraries I might fly.

I cant see ever flying economy TATL, unless my financial situation changes drastically, so reciprocal FF benefits are of no use to me but a reasonably priced lie flat with a comfortable seat for the domestic leg is definitely a nice option to have.
V1213 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Or maybe they'll both run it 1x daily each?
The DL MSP-YYC run is still on the schedule for May 2025, so I suspect that both airlines will have one run a day.
Old Jun 25, 2024, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
No surprises in the press release:
Guttentag, Germany! WestJet directly connects five Canadian cities to Frankfurt through Condor Airlines codeshare agreement

As discussed above, the key benefit is likely to be the ability to book Premium on the WestJet legs.

Other things of note:
  • WestJet does not appear to be selling Premium on these flights, so not sure how one would access Condor's "Premium" (Economy plus) product when booking through WestJet
  • Other ATC is much lower than WestJet's own TA flights - I'm seeing $11 for a Business one way connecting itinerary through YYC - this makes these flights much better for WSD earn (and burn if you prefer to spend WSD rather than have a large cash copay). Shame codeshares are ineligible for companion vouchers...
arf04 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 1:40 am

In this weeks update, some additional Asia flying was added in October; particularly the last 2 weeks.

YYC-NRT - Up to 1x daily
YYC-ICN - Up to 4x weekly with 2 added flights on Sat.

Other changes include:
YYC-ATL - 3rd flight added on Sundays in September/October with a 12:00 dep.
YYC-BOS - Extended to end of October
Fisch, FlyerJ, arf04 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 11:00 pm

Question

All of Westjets 787 route are doing really well. With this, could they potentially order more 787 aircraft for S25 or S26?
Adding to this, WS could, with the extra capacity introduce a few more Europe/Asia routes (I.e YYC - MAN, YYC - MAD, YYC - LIS, YEG - LHR, YVR - LHR), while also alleviating concerns of delays on their transatlantic flights.

could this be feasible?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.