Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The WestJet 737 MAX 8 thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by aerobod
The A330-900neo and A350-900 were evaluated along with the 787, before the 787 was chosen. I still have the A350XWB baseball hat from attending the 3-day cross-discipline workshop that Airbus laid on in Calgary.
It would be interesting to know what the key determining factors were (other than Price).
Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by Sopwith
It would be interesting to know what the key determining factors were (other than Price).
type commonality Boeing begets Boeing??
Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:18 pm

The A330 is best for slim (lower volume) and medium range routes, A350 for larger volume and longest routes. The A330 can be configured with 9 abreast seating (as done by Air Transat on their A330-300s), but it is approximately 3cm per seat narrower than a 787, so most airlines go with 8 abreast. The A350 has the lowest CASM, but with 350 seats compared with 320 on the 787, so it rules out routes that can’t support the extra capacity.

Overall the 787 is the best compromise for operating out of YYC, YYZ and YVR hubs to the most cities with the right range, but all 3 aircraft can be made to work at the right price.
Sopwith likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
We regulate the width of parking stalls at the supermarket, but not the width of seats on aircraft.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by james dean
The A330 is best for slim (lower volume) and medium range routes, A350 for larger volume and longest routes. The A330 can be configured with 9 abreast seating (as done by Air Transat on their A330-300s), but it is approximately 3cm per seat narrower than a 787, so most airlines go with 8 abreast. The A350 has the lowest CASM, but with 350 seats compared with 320 on the 787, so it rules out routes that can’t support the extra capacity.

Overall the 787 is the best compromise for operating out of YYC, YYZ and YVR hubs to the most cities with the right range, but all 3 aircraft can be made to work at the right price.

And the (perceived) value in being able to offer 'Dreamliner' service. Westjet certainly sees a lot of value in this, even displaying the Dreamliner logo in flight searches.

Ron.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:02 am

A very small consideration when looking at the 787 v 737 as there are few if any common components and the software and support systems only have a limited compatibility set. Pilot and flight attendant training is also quite different.

One of the more compelling reasons to stay with Boeing is the availability of GE engines on the 787 as well as the 737, with common data integration and maintenance systems and contracts. A330neo and A350 is Rolls.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
The 789 is a great plane and I'm sure it does represent the best all-round compromise flying ex-Canada.

That said, I've come to love the A350. BA has been flying an A350-1000 YYZ-LHR for a couple of months now ... very quiet, very comfortable. AF has also been flying their A350-900 YYZ-CDG on and off.

I think the cabin width between the A350 and 787 is only a difference of about 5 inches, but the big bus just seems more spacious. I also like that it has actual window shades, rather than the electronic ones on the 787 that never really go completely dark.

Biggest beef is that from YYZ it goes into LHR, which is a lot less convenient for me than LGW. So I'll still be on WS3 more often than not :-)

Last edited by Symmetre; Dec 30, 2019 at 7:22 am
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
A very small consideration when looking at the 787 v 737 as there are few if any common components and the software and support systems only have a limited compatibility set. Pilot and flight attendant training is also quite different.

One of the more compelling reasons to stay with Boeing is the availability of GE engines on the 787 as well as the 737, with common data integration and maintenance systems and contracts. A330neo and A350 is Rolls.
Agreed, but I was thinking also along other aspects...the already relationship with Boeing, financing, build slots, preferences as a current customer....
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:45 pm

Agreed, but I was thinking also along other aspects...the already relationship with Boeing, financing, build slots, preferences as a current customer....
Yes, they are considerations and have some benefit, but then offsetting that Airbus can also be aggressive to gain new business and add incentives that may not be offered to existing customers, so it works both ways.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Yes, they are considerations and have some benefit, but then offsetting that Airbus can also be aggressive to gain new business and add incentives that may not be offered to existing customers, so it works both ways.
Sounds like getting a new cell phone :-)
YYCguy and aerobod like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: Westjet
Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
Just noticed that my April YYZ - BGI has been changed out for a Max8 from a 700 series.
Makes me a titch uneasy. Also I have booked exit row seats in Row 11 that are not exit row seats in the Max. I know I could call to switch them but wonder if the Max will actually be a go by April. Anyone else have flights switched to the Max 8?
We have our return flights from BGI to YYZ on April 8, 2020 now showing as 737 Max 8. I certainly hope this does not happen.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
My girlfriend's parents just booked non-stop YYC-HNL through a travel agent for early March... they're going to be pretty pissed-off when they get re-booked through Vancouver with an overnight layover on their return flight.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:42 pm

Resurrecting an old post as we are getting closer than I ever expected to a summer season with no MAX8. We booked the nonstop YHZ-CDG for this June (YHZ is home). Yes, I knew it was the Max when I booked back in August, but never expected it would still be out of commission.

If the strategy below holds for 2020, who are the likely partners? Delta? Air France? Air France from YUL is not bad, based on current availability. Much as I'd enjoy a free stopover in Calgary to visit my brother, I do NOT want to fly four hours west to add 4 hours to my east-bound itinerary!

Or maybe the long experience with this particular issue has spawned a different workaround? Would appreciate your thoughts before I start obsessing about losing that great air bnb we have booked in the 3ieme arrondisement...

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
WJ announced an updated impact of the MAX grounding through to July 3rd:https://blog.westjet.com/guest-advis...ax-groundings/

The slightly eye popping bit is:

Flights between Halifax and Paris have been suspended from June 3 through August 2, 2019. We are in the process of contacting affected guests who will be rebooked through either Calgary, non-stop on our Dreamliner to Paris, or with one of our partner airlines through Toronto, Montreal or New York.

Can't imagine anyone in YHZ wanting to fly 8 hrs in the wrong direction just to get the Dreamliner to CDG!
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:33 pm

WS to LGW, then air or train to CDG.
I suspect the train would be at your expense.

Vueling and Easyjet are the only two options from LGW to CDG.
AF flies LHR - CDG.

Most airlines seem to be giving several months lead time with upcoming cancellations.
I suspect you will find out well before July 31 if your YHZ-CDG will operate.

Don't obsess, just be prepared to compromise.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
Originally Posted by coastgirl
Resurrecting an old post as we are getting closer than I ever expected to a summer season with no MAX8. We booked the nonstop YHZ-CDG for this June (YHZ is home). Yes, I knew it was the Max when I booked back in August, but never expected it would still be out of commission.

If the strategy below holds for 2020, who are the likely partners? Delta? Air France? Air France from YUL is not bad, based on current availability. Much as I'd enjoy a free stopover in Calgary to visit my brother, I do NOT want to fly four hours west to add 4 hours to my east-bound itinerary!

Or maybe the long experience with this particular issue has spawned a different workaround? Would appreciate your thoughts before I start obsessing about losing that great air bnb we have booked in the 3ieme arrondisement...
Last summer they made an agreement with Air France to fly guests from YUL to CDG for people who booked from YHZ, YYT, YYZ, etc and re-accommodated the people from BC and the prairies through YYC. I don't know what the plan is for the future, but hopefully this puts your mind at ease.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.