Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The WestJet 737 MAX 8 thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
I assume, and hope, that Westjet and Onex are working on a deal to charter or lease some aircraft as a result of the Max grounding and the retirement of one of their old 700s.

I don't know what the Onex leasing situation is like but I would think that now that the deal has been approved they will move some aircrafts around.
I'm confused ... what role would Onex play in that? (Onex is essentially the group of investment bankers that own WestJet. Unless I've missed something, I don't think that they - as owners - would have any involvement in leasing, or in any of the day-to-day operations of any of the companies that they own.)

That aside, my understanding is that there are few if any aircraft available for lease or charter -- due to the worldwide capacity issues caused by the MAX. Sunwing hopped on it quickly with their Eastern charters (which haven't gone all that well), but I was surprised that AC was able to find any availability at this stage.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I'm confused ... what role would Onex play in that? (Onex is essentially the group of investment bankers that own WestJet. Unless I've missed something, I don't think that they - as owners - would have any involvement in leasing, or in any of the day-to-day operations of any of the companies that they own.)

That aside, my understanding is that there are few if any aircraft available for lease or charter -- due to the worldwide capacity issues caused by the MAX. Sunwing hopped on it quickly with their Eastern charters (which haven't gone all that well), but I was surprised that AC was able to find any availability at this stage.
Onex own 50% of BBAM, the largest dedicated aircraft lease management company, so they should have an inside edge on short term aircraft lease opportunities.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:41 pm

If my understanding of those “leases” (ie from BBAM) is correct, those are long-term financing deals for aircraft. That’s a relatively long term commitment to the plane that’s leased, and really just an alternative to purchasing outright. Leasing a 737 (or whatever) in that manner isn’t a short-term bandaid to solve for peak traffic over a single flying season.

I believe the short-term kind of solutions that airlines are doing now are either “wet leases” or charters — which are both essentially short-term rentals of fully-crewed, certified, licensed aircraft. (That’s what WS used to do for their Alberta to Hawaii flights, before they acquired 767s — and what AC just managed to do, and what Sunwing did with Eastern.)

I don’t think that’s the business that BBAM is in. In automotive terms, BBAM is more like a fleet leasing company that finances a car rather than Avis or Budget renting you a car for a few weeks. If WestJet wants to bump up capacity for just the winter season while they wait for grounded MAXs, I don’t think BBAM can help them.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:06 pm

Really good article in today’s Seattle Times ... a great overview of what both Boeing and the FAA are doing now:

Newly stringent FAA tests spur a fundamental software redesign of Boeing’s 737 MAX flight controls
By Dominic Gates
Seattle Times aerospace reporter

While conducting newly stringent tests on the Boeing 737 MAX flight control system, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in June uncovered a potential flaw that now has spurred Boeing to make a fundamental software-design change.

Full article here:

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ight-controls/
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
If my understanding of those “leases” (ie from BBAM) is correct, those are long-term financing deals for aircraft. That’s a relatively long term commitment to the plane that’s leased, and really just an alternative to purchasing outright. Leasing a 737 (or whatever) in that manner isn’t a short-term bandaid to solve for peak traffic over a single flying season.

I believe the short-term kind of solutions that airlines are doing now are either “wet leases” or charters — which are both essentially short-term rentals of fully-crewed, certified, licensed aircraft. (That’s what WS used to do for their Alberta to Hawaii flights, before they acquired 767s — and what AC just managed to do, and what Sunwing did with Eastern.)

I don’t think that’s the business that BBAM is in. In automotive terms, BBAM is more like a fleet leasing company that finances a car rather than Avis or Budget renting you a car for a few weeks. If WestJet wants to bump up capacity for just the winter season while they wait for grounded MAXs, I don’t think BBAM can help them.
Lease returns occur on a continuous basis, so Onex could manage a 3 or 6 month lease on returned 737 NGs for WestJet, before a given aircraft is put on the market again, much cheaper over that sort of period than charters and likely more obtainable than wet leases in the current market.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: hahaha
Sorry to kinda cross-post from the AC forum, mods feel free to remove if not okay

CBC News: The National, clip last night about WS ops during MAX groundings...they mentioned that WS will soon announce a clearout of Christmas service. Sure enough, my 7M8 WS 444 flight got switched to 73H. Not sure when that happened.

@ 1:05
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:04 pm

An outstanding article just published by the New York Times:

What Really Brought Down the Boeing 737 Max?

Malfunctions caused two deadly crashes. But an industry that puts unprepared pilots in the cockpit is just as guilty.
Here’s the link. It’s a really long read - but really worthwhile.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/m...ashes.amp.html
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
A flawed design coupled with poorly trained and or qualified Pilot(s) in the pointy end is a deadly mix.
However if Boeing is going to market and sell their aircraft on the World market then they must set the bar for both their own design and the training for their customers Flight Crews. As we have seen this has turned into a PR nightmare for Boeing.
North American airlines pilots Associations (ALPA, AAPA) had been complaining about the Max prior to and after the deadly accidents. Only after the International groundings did Boeing sit up and take notice.
Heck before this debacle I did quite a few flights on the Max & I liked it...but knowing what we know now about this design flaw I probably would have avoided flights using the Max.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:05 pm

Yesterday one flew YYC-YXX.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/c-gehf
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Since the US airlines are pushing their Max cancellations into March I have basically given-up on flying YYC-HNL non-stop this winter.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Error 601
Since the US airlines are pushing their Max cancellations into March I have basically given-up on flying YYC-HNL non-stop this winter.
It is likely alarmist and potentially without merit but I keep hearing rumblings that the Max may never fly again.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:50 pm

It is likely alarmist and potentially without merit but I keep hearing rumblings that the Max may never fly again.
I think that is an extremely small possibility, only gaining any airtime due to some people saying it shouldn't fly again.

In reality, the EASA is the key to when the MAX will fly globally again, they have currently requested further documentation that they say was incomplete from Boeing, but there is no indication that the demands they will make can't be met, it is just a matter of when. For the MAX not to fly again would probably require Boeing to go bust, as the value of the fleet already delivered is about $30 billion and the undelivered aircraft are likely to be worth about $50 billion if the MAX starts flying again in Q2 2020 or instead the small possibility of it not flying again becomes apparent. An $80 billion hit on their finances would likely cause bankruptcy due to the severe loss in the current market value of about $200 billion when the shares tank, if not the lawsuits from the airlines would cause the same end result.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Boeing is too big to fail, but I'm fairly sure that lawyers are working around the clock preparing a GM like bankruptcy.

An Air Canada pilot told me a few weeks ago they wouldn't be surprised to see the MAX never return to service at Air Canada if this goes on much longer. They can just keep the older Airbuses while they wait for more C Series and used or leased Airbuses and leverage Air Transat as needed.

A dispatcher at a US airline told me that the cascading cancellations aren't the result of actionable information from Boeing or the regulators, just scheduling and ticketing making their best guess and that the internal team that had been on-call 24/7 to prepare for returning the MAX to service had returned to their regular duties months ago.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
That's my expectation.

Any other outcome would surprise me.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
For storage. Space @ YYC is limited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.