Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The WestJet 737 MAX 8 thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:42 am
Original Poster

The WestJet 737 MAX 8 thread

Even though Canada hasn’t closed its airspace, so far, France and the UK has.

Canada has now grounded them: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gar...rash-1.5054234

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/boeing...ax-8-1.5052471

Which will affect Westjet’s transatlantic operations from the east coast. Or are all of the 737 MAX routes to Europe seasonal and haven’t commenced yet?

Can Westjet’s other non-MAX 737 aircraft do the distances without a refuel stop?

Last edited by tecate55; Mar 13, 2019 at 10:03 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan
The MAX TATL routes are seasonal. We'll see if the the groundings last until May.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Looking at WJ booking website, does 737-800 automatically mean max 8?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Looking at WJ booking website, does 737-800 automatically mean max 8?
No, they should not.

If you want to be sure, take a look YHZ-CDG flighTs in May/June. They’re supposed to be 737-800 MAX 8 equipped.

Last edited by tecate55; Mar 12, 2019 at 12:39 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:40 pm
5mm
Suspended

Could WS 787's start flying YYC-OGG if the max get grounded?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by 5mm
Could they? Sure thing. Will they? Unlikely, I would think given Westjet's 787 roll-out schedule.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Max8. There's certainly no shortage of discussion with the EU and UK having now joined the party by effectively banning it from their airspace. But with two hull loss accidents and hundreds dead in what appear to be two very similar incidents over a five-month span, Boeing needs to deliver some answers.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Scheduled to fly YHZ - LGW on the MAX in July with the family. Glad that's some months away & hope that there will be a resolution before then. Not sure I would want to get on that plane next week.
(& I flew TATL 5 YYT-LHR 5 times last year on a MAX with AC).
gilsan likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
My family and I are scheduled to fly In August YHZ-LGW, I bought the tickets last week. We flew on the MAX 8 last year it is a nice plane. Hopefully, they will have everything worked out before our flights in August.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:28 pm

My perspective:

- The Lion Air accident has been confirmed by the FAA to be related to he MCAS system and erroneous input from the angle-of-attack sensor causing it to activate when it shouldn’t have. The system is easily disconnected, but unfortunately the Lion Air pilots did not know that due to the information and technical change not being prominent in the manuals or specifically trained for.

- The MCAS malfunction in the Lion Air case caused an 8-page Airwothiness Directive to be issued by the FAA last year, every MAX pilot should be familiar with this (certainly the Air Canada and WestJet pilots are, as it was a topic of conversation in forums). Any MCAS malfunction should be a non-event with this prominent information and the ease of disconnection.

- Crashes due to similar systems malfunction have happened before, yet have also been benign to properly trained pilots. One case in particular was the Turkish Airlines 737NG crash with fatalities in 2009 in Amsterdam, this was due to a radio altimeter indicating below zero altitude while at several hundred feet, putting the auto throttle into retard mode on the approach and the pilots not reacting to the throttles moving to idle. WestJet amongst others has also had this problem, but it has just become a technical snag, as the pilot was covering the throttles as proper procedure dictates (approaching Calgary also in 2009) and just pushed the throttles forward, disconnected autothrottle and filed a report on landing (further info on AvHerald.com).

- Reports of several MAX aircraft in the US experiencing a pitch down a few seconds after engaging autopilot that have been linked to the Lion Air and Ethiopian crashes by the Press are very unlikely to be the same issue due to the fact that the MCAS system is not active either when the autopilot is engaged or flaps are deployed. In each case the pilots just followed procedure, flew the aircraft and filed a report on landing.

So far this year I’ve flown twice on 737MAXs, three times on 737NGs, twice on CRJ900s and fourteen times on A320/A321s. I have no problem on flying on any of them any time, I look forward to my next 737MAX flight and I have confidence the aircraft is safe when operated well to standard procedures.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by tecate55

No, they should not.

If you want to be sure, take a look YHZ-CDG flighTs in May/June. They’re supposed to be 737-800 MAX 8 equipped.
Not sure what "737-800 MAX 8 equipped" means.

A 737-800 is not a "MAX". The MAX designations do not use -800, or -900, or -700, but simply 7, 8, 9 (or 10); typically designated by airlines as 7M8 for the MAX8.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robsaw
Not sure what "737-800 MAX 8 equipped" means.

A 737-800 is not a "MAX". The MAX designations do not use -800, or -900, or -700, but simply 7, 8, 9 (or 10); typically designated by airlines as 7M8 for the MAX8.
Once Boeing fixes the 737 MAX issue, they need to work on their versioning system.

If 90%+ of people off the street can't look at the model number and tell which one is the most recent model, then Boeing is failing at human factors. The biggest company in the world (AAPL) does it this way for their hardware and software. No need to re-invent the wheel, just do what people are already normalized to and familiar with.

"Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better." really rings true here.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:04 am
Original Poster

gilsan likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Westjet’s 73 page international tariff can be found here:

https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-we...us)-tariff.pdf

How cancellations are handled when outside the carrier’s control can be found starting on page 50.
What constitutes an airline that WestJet has a Commercial Agreement with?

Just partners? Just Interlines? Both?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by 5mm
They will reroute via YVR or adjust 763 schedule.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:34 am

At this point with spring break traffic, I would say the ability to provide alternative carrier options will be limited and probably be mainly used to return guests/passengers to their point of origin. Between WestJet, Air Canada and Sunwing about 20,000 seats per day have been removed from the market, I would only expect about half of those could be absorbed and the rest will probably have to make do with a refund, hopefully those people can cover other out-of-pocket costs from insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.