Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The WestJet 737 MAX 8 thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:34 am

Found this on WestJet website, but nothing in the news? Is it an error?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by ababey
Found this on WestJet website, but nothing in the news? Is it an error?
It's official now:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gar...rash-1.5054234
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aerobod
At this point with spring break traffic, I would say the ability to provide alternative carrier options will be limited and probably be mainly used to return guests/passengers to their point of origin. Between WestJet, Air Canada and Sunwing about 20,000 seats per day have been removed from the market, I would only expect about half of those could be absorbed and the rest will probably have to make do with a refund, hopefully those people can cover other out-of-pocket costs from insurance.
Absolutely true. There’s obviously no good time for this to happen, but right before a peak leisure travel period ... it’s going to be chaos.

I expect that that many passengers won’t realize how difficult this will be. I’m sure many will assume that WestJet can easily swap in other aircraft — not understanding the situation. Lots of vacations will be disrupted by this.

And I’m equally sure that some who find their vacation plans ruined or altered will expect WS to compensate them ... because, well, a ridiculous number of WestJet guests, IMHO, think of an airline as a nanny service as much as a transportation provider.

Hopefully travel insurance will will cover costs here — but, face it, the infrequent leisure travellers who will be hardest hit over the next few weeks are the least likely to buy anything beyond travel medical coverage. I doubt many in that segment even consider springing for delay/cancellation insurance.

And - back to our earlier thread about WestJet and irrops - this is going to be tough for WS to pull off effectively, and customer experience will be strained. While others like AC and UA have slick customer-facing tech for rebooking, for WS (unless something’s changed) it’s gonna fall 100% on the call center. Watch out for high volumes, loooong calls, and insane on-hold times. Yikes.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have to wonder if routes like YHM, YXX, SNA, AZA and one of MIA or FLL will feel the pain as flights are consolidated and aircraft reallocated.

Oh well, at least I'm not the one figuring out how I'm getting home from Maui on Friday.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
This is really unfortunate timing for me with the grounding of the 737s. Does anyone here know if WS6943 (Delta operated) and WS1699 will be affected? I see no indication that it has, but I don’t want to be surprised at the airport. If necessary, I’ll need to make arrangements to go home.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
Scheduled to fly YHZ - LGW on the MAX in July with the family. Glad that's some months away & hope that there will be a resolution before then. Not sure I would want to get on that plane next week.
(& I flew TATL 5 YYT-LHR 5 times last year on a MAX with AC).
What’s TATL?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
This is really unfortunate timing for me with the grounding of the 737s. Does anyone here know if WS6943 (Delta operated) and WS1699 will be affected? I see no indication that it has, but I don’t want to be surprised at the airport. If necessary, I’ll need to make arrangements to go home.
What’s the issue? Delta doesn’t even operate the MAX8, and WS 1699 is on a 737-700.

Only the MAX8 and MAX9 are grounded ... although there will likely be shuffling of the schedule over the coming days.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:57 pm

What’s TATL?
Abbreviation for “trans-Atlantic”.

And TPAC means trans-Pacific.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerJ

What’s the issue? Delta doesn’t even operate the MAX8, and WS 1699 is on a 737-700.

Only the MAX8 and MAX9 are grounded ... although there will likely be shuffling of the schedule over the coming days.
No issue if those flights aren’t impacted by this decision. I just want to ask and make sure everything is A-Ok.

Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Error 601
I have to wonder if routes like YHM, YXX, SNA, AZA and one of MIA or FLL will feel the pain as flights are consolidated and aircraft reallocated.

Oh well, at least I'm not the one figuring out how I'm getting home from Maui on Friday.
You might get stranded in Maui.....The Horror....The Horror
tecate55 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
You might get stranded in Maui.....The Horror....The Horror
It’s not a bad place to be stranded. That’s for sure, but what if he has work?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:06 pm
5mm
Suspended

It’s not a bad place to be stranded. That’s for sure, but what if he has work?
AC will have lots of seat. They switched out the max with a 777.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I'm not in Maui, but a few of my friends are for their parents' 50th anniversary. It's certainly an expensive place to get stranded.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:11 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Error 601
I'm not in Maui, but a few of my friends are for their parents' 50th anniversary. It's certainly an expensive place to get stranded.
Expensive goes with nice, cheap goes with not so nice!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Very happy family friends who were on a 7M8 YEG-CUN on 24th Mar. and back on 31st Mar. found they were flying a 738 within hours of the announcement this morning. Same flight numbers, same flight times so just an aircraft substitution. They were very

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.