Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The WestJet 737 MAX 8 thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601
Any insight on how much juice the USB-C ports are putting out? I'm about to get refreshed into a new MacBook Pro.

Edit: we're being issued power-only cables that don't allow an attack via the Thunderbolt ports.
The USB ports typically supply a minimum of 7.5W, which is not enough to charge most laptops or MacBooks, but will slow the battery drain rate, sometimes depending on use by others in the same seat row - shared power distribution is normal. The 110V socket is normally best to use for a chance of charging a higher power use device (on the seat for the AC A220, USB is on the screen). Astronics are one of the main vendors for power distribution: https://www.astronics.com/advanced-e...t-power-system
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Thanks, I figured USB PD support was too much to hope for.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Error 601
Any insight on how much juice the USB-C ports are putting out? I'm about to get refreshed into a new MacBook Pro.

Edit: we're being issued power-only cables that don't allow an attack via the Thunderbolt ports.
As per The Points Guy: "I tried using it to charge my 13-inch MacBook Pro. While it successfully kept the laptop powered, it charged the computer much slower than using a traditional AC power adapter."

The article is titled "The Air Canada A220 amenity all airlines should add" if you want to search for it.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:55 am

Update, resched summer 2020 YHZ-CDG, questions about baggage fees

Hi all. Saw the CBC story about the Max 8 WS grounding to end of June. Looked at my flight today (June 25-July 12 YHZ-CDG) and it was "flight not confirmed". I called the call centre, spent an hour rescheduling it. Overall itinerary not bad, considering.

Now YHZ-DUB on WS, then DUB-CDG on Aer Lingus. We booked regular economy, so no bags--BUT we have the WS RBC World Elite or whatever it is that gives us first checked bag free. WS will honour that outbound, as it's their flight.

Inbound CDG-YYZ on Air France then YYZ-YHZ on WS. They won't cover the bag on the AF segment. For four of us--that will be a chunk of change. I argued it with her but she said they weren't covering baggage on other carriers. I suggested they give us equivalent WS dollars, but that was a no-go also.

She assured me "accepting" the itinerary didn't mean I couldn't still change it. So I left it at that. But I don't intend to leave it at that.

Suggestions on how to go about getting the bags covered on our return? Honestly, outbound we probably won't check anything, but coming back is when we'll need it. (You know, wine and cheese and such!)

For others in the same situation, she said they are reaching out to people in order of the date of departure. So you may not get contacted right away, but she was fine with doing mine while I waited for her to work out the options. Other than the baggage thing, I thought she did a good job accommodating our plans under difficult circumstances.

Just checked our AF ticket and it's $96 to check a bag. So to get the same service we would've had with WS it's going to be almost $400 more.

Last edited by coastgirl; Jan 26, 2020 at 12:30 pm
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by coastgirl
Inbound CDG-YYZ on Air France then YYZ-YHZ on WS. They won't cover the bag on the AF segment. For four of us--that will be a chunk of change. I argued it with her but she said they weren't covering baggage on other carriers. I suggested they give us equivalent WS dollars, but that was a no-go also.

Are you certain Air France is going to charge you for bags. For most overseas flights you have one checked bag per person as your free allowance.

Here is there details....
https://www.airfrance.co.jp/JP/en/co...-airfrance.htm

The overseas rules override the rules for any connecting flights. So if your Toronto-Halifax ticket is on the same ticket, someone in Paris should tag the bags all the way to Halifax and you should just put them on the connecting belt in Toronto without having to pay any fee.

The same should apply going to France. At check-in in Halifax, since your connecting to Air France, you should have one free bag since their free item rule overrides the domestic connecting flight.

Have a look at your ticket. If there is a column for "Pieces" and it shows 1. that is the number of pieces of luggage included with the flight.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Are you certain Air France is going to charge you for bags. For most overseas flights you have one checked bag per person as your free allowance.

Here is there details....
https://www.airfrance.co.jp/JP/en/co...-airfrance.htm

The overseas rules override the rules for any connecting flights. So if your Toronto-Halifax ticket is on the same ticket, someone in Paris should tag the bags all the way to Halifax and you should just put them on the connecting belt in Toronto without having to pay any fee.
I thought so too. My ticket says economy, but when I plug the ressie number in at the AF website, it shows me this...(I believe it's saying 2 x hand luggage + 2x accessories because there are two people on this booking--we are flying as two groups of two.)

Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by coastgirl
I thought so too. My ticket says economy, but when I plug the ressie number in at the AF website, it shows me this...(I believe it's saying 2 x hand luggage + 2x accessories because there are two people on this booking--we are flying as two groups of two.)

Looks like Air France has three types of Economy fares available between Canada and Paris. They are:
- Light (with Zero checked bags)
- Standard (with One checked bag)
- Premium Economy (with Two checked bags)

Sounds like you have been booked into Light.

I would try to call WestJet and try to tell them you would view the ticket you were on as being equivalent to Standard and ask them to book you into that fare class. Not certain if it will work but likely your best bet.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by aerobod
I flew on C-GROV (the first A220 in the Air Canada fleet) from YUL to YYC on it's first day of operation. It is a quiet and well damped ride and the seats are wider in Economy, but closer together in Business due to being 2x2 in a narrower fuselage. The knee room in the standard Economy seats is about 1.5" less than on a WS 737 MAX, though, as the seat still uses the lower document pocket at 30" pitch, compared with 31" on the WS MAX and the overhead bin space per passenger is less (although better than on a A320ceo or B737 NG).

Air Canada has also broken with tradition on their narrow bodies of using cloth seats, the A220 now has leather seats, which I prefer. One other feature of the A220 I particularly like is the large windows, noticeably bigger than on the B737 or A320.
Leather seats don't age as well? I actually like the cloth seats.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by SonofYEG
As Westjet and Air Canada have noted that they won't be flying the MAX until at least July now. I booked a trip to Toronto from Edmonton yesterday for early June and noticed that they still had the MAX 8 flying on one of the daily routes. When would they make the change to the schedule to note this? I'm kind of surprised they have not done this.
As of today, it looks like the schedule has been changed.
coastgirl likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Leather seats don't age as well? I actually like the cloth seats.
Leather seats are easier to clean and sanitize. You don’t know what level of germs or sick or lice or what have you are lurking in a cloth seat.
aerobod likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I would try to call WestJet and try to tell them you would view the ticket you were on as being equivalent to Standard and ask them to book you into that fare class. Not certain if it will work but likely your best bet.
Dh just called them again and got an agent who was willing to commit to reimbursing us for the baggage fee coming home. She also apologized for her colleagues who said no. We have it in writing as a note on the ticket.

Sharing in case that's helpful to others in a similar spot.
Frequentlander and Fiordland like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:28 am

It's back.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...450Z/CYYC/CYVR

deskcaptain likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:46 pm

Only 71 pax on WS115 today - 41% load factor.

WestJet returns 737 MAX to service

CALGARY, AB, Jan. 21, 2021 /CNW/ - WestJet today returned the first of its 737 MAX aircraft to passenger service with the departure of WS115 from Calgary to Vancouver. With the second 737 MAX flight, WS122, from Vancouver to Calgary departing at noon PT. B-roll and photos of today's landing at VancouverInternational Airport are available here.

On board the first flight were 71 guests including Ed Sims, WestJet President and CEO, Chris Burley, WestJet Board Chair and Chris Rauenbusch, President, CUPE Local 4070 and a member of WestJet's Inflight team. The aircraft was piloted by Captain David Colquhoun, WestJet Master Executive Council Chair, Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) and Captain Scott Wilson, Vice President WestJet Operations.

https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2021-0...MAX-to-service
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:25 pm

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA122

aerobod likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by On Time Reports
Only 71 pax on WS115 today - 41% load factor.

WestJet returns 737 MAX to service

CALGARY, AB, Jan. 21, 2021 /CNW/ - WestJet today returned the first of its 737 MAX aircraft to passenger service with the departure of WS115 from Calgary to Vancouver. With the second 737 MAX flight, WS122, from Vancouver to Calgary departing at noon PT. B-roll and photos of today's landing at VancouverInternational Airport are available here.

On board the first flight were 71 guests including Ed Sims, WestJet President and CEO, Chris Burley, WestJet Board Chair and Chris Rauenbusch, President, CUPE Local 4070 and a member of WestJet's Inflight team. The aircraft was piloted by Captain David Colquhoun, WestJet Master Executive Council Chair, Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) and Captain Scott Wilson, Vice President WestJet Operations.

https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2021-0...MAX-to-service
I wonder were any paying customers on board? In all seriousness, a good time to work out any operational kinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.