Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Lounge Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angra
I'm flying SYD-BNE later today, in economy, on a separate ticket after arriving LAX-SYD on DL. I have no status with VA. Diamond on DL. I don't quite follow all the reciprocal rules for this partnership. Do I have access to domestic lounge in SYD waiting for BNE departure? I will have longish connection if border controls go quickly.

I think I do not, but am not positive, so seek advice here. Thanks!
Another thread on VA-DL lounge access Domestic Velocity Lounge Access for DL Platinum?
CPMaverick is the most knowledgeable on this
Old May 22, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Another thread on VA-DL lounge access Domestic Velocity Lounge Access for DL Platinum?
CPMaverick is the most knowledgeable on this
For any other FTers (particularly DL flyers that are not super familiar with SYD) that find this thread:

Turns out that we *do*. On landing at SYD international, there is a transfer desk, outside border control, but inside the I terminal. Here you can get a BP for your domestic flight, drop your bags, and if necessary, reiterate that you are a DL whatever. I do not know if they would have gotten this already because I had my DM card out and ready to show from the beginning.

From there, there is a private-to-VA shuttle bus that goes over to T2 at the curb landside. There is a separate entrance for elites that has a private security screening and dumps you right out into the lounge.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angra
For any other FTers (particularly DL flyers that are not super familiar with SYD) that find this thread:

Turns out that we *do*. On landing at SYD international, there is a transfer desk, outside border control, but inside the I terminal. Here you can get a BP for your domestic flight, drop your bags, and if necessary, reiterate that you are a DL whatever. I do not know if they would have gotten this already because I had my DM card out and ready to show from the beginning.

From there, there is a private-to-VA shuttle bus that goes over to T2 at the curb landside. There is a separate entrance for elites that has a private security screening and dumps you right out into the lounge.
And other threads on SYD & entry into Australia

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration
Old May 25, 2018, 10:08 am

Looking to book an award ticket CHC-SYD in Business. Have the option of VA or QF. Both are 737. Will they have the new business class seats on VA?

Which would you go with if the cost is the comparable? They both depart around the same time.

I know that neither will offer baggage interline so that is moot. That would have been the key for me.

Flight will be in the early. Not expecting much variance from food.

Thanks
Old May 25, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaiotes
Looking to book an award ticket CHC-SYD in Business. Have the option of VA or QF. Both are 737. Will they have the new business class seats on VA?

Which would you go with if the cost is the comparable? They both depart around the same time.

I know that neither will offer baggage interline so that is moot. That would have been the key for me.

Flight will be in the early. Not expecting much variance from food.
When are you considering flying? The NZ-VA partnership ends Oct 2018.
Many trans Tasman flights are changing.
Other than SYD-CHC, EK stopped flying trans Tasman. That had an effect on the QF & EK flights.
Would not expect good better aircraft on TT routes. Basically a bus service where many people select the airline on price only.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 25, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 11:06 pm

Mid Nov 2018. I'd be booking via either EY (on VA) or BA (QF) points
EY is ~2K pts more
Old May 4, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
AFAIK the two domestic guest passes given on attaining/being relegated to Silver are not transferable. Can anyone confirm that?
Old May 4, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
At best they can be used as "Guest Passes" when the silver member is also traveling (e.g. In business).
RTWFF likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:43 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Hopefully a simple question ... flying JFK-LAX-MEL in business on a single ticket, JFK-LAX on DL and LAX-MEL on VA.

I understand the lounge access in LAX is the Emirates lounge at TBIT. Does Virgin use any sort of lounge invitation card, or will a boarding pass (presumably one printed on Delta stock at JFK) suffice at the Emirates lounge? Just wondering if we need to stop by a VA check-in desk at LAX or if we can use the airside shuttle and go straight to the lounge.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bgriff
Hopefully a simple question ... flying JFK-LAX-MEL in business on a single ticket, JFK-LAX on DL and LAX-MEL on VA.

I understand the lounge access in LAX is the Emirates lounge at TBIT. Does Virgin use any sort of lounge invitation card, or will a boarding pass (presumably one printed on Delta stock at JFK) suffice at the Emirates lounge? Just wondering if we need to stop by a VA check-in desk at LAX or if we can use the airside shuttle and go straight to the lounge.
Straight to the lounge
There is a virgin staff member on the counter of the Emirites lounge at lax . No need for a invitation and they will issue the boarding passes to Melbourne
bgriff likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
@bgriff , you'll need to either go landside from T2/T3 and walk around to TBIT or catch an airside shuttle bus.

Note the EK lounge does not open for VA flights until 5pm.

More here on AFF: LAX Lounge Update - Nov 2017 - Emirates lounge for all | Australian Frequent Flyer
bgriff likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:19 pm

Digital card

I've just hit VA Gold membership and am flying back from London to Melbourne next week. Does anyone know if my digital card on the app will be enough for lounge access as I haven't got my physical card yet.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Brisbane international lounge

Anyone tried the new lounge ?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by Beano
Anyone tried the new lounge ?

Walked past it a couple of weeks ago (from the NZ lounge - which is very nice BTW, better than the miserable F-less QF option).

Seemed... small.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:30 am

It's "quite good", let's say. A bit noisy as it is just a partitioned space in the public part of the terminal. And gets busy at peak times (say 8 to 9 in the morning). But the food and beverages are very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.