Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Lounge Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Australian AMEX Platinum cardholders have free lounge access for themselves and one companion when flying (domestic) Virgin Australia fligths.

I am from Canada - I have a Canadian AMEX Platinum card. The question is whether I would get similar lounge access for myself and my wife, if flying on a Virgin Australia flight.

Whatever the answer to my question - yes, or no - which international AMEX Platinum cardholders (ie from which countries) have such access?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
DL Diamond Medallion flying SYD-BNE in Y and then VA codeshare with Solomon airlines to Honiara the next day. Can Inuse VA lounge in BNE on arrival? My connecting flight is the next day. I will be connecting from LAX in DL business.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Australian AMEX Platinum cardholders have free lounge access for themselves and one companion when flying (domestic) Virgin Australia fligths.

I am from Canada - I have a Canadian AMEX Platinum card. The question is whether I would get similar lounge access for myself and my wife, if flying on a Virgin Australia flight.

Whatever the answer to my question - yes, or no - which international AMEX Platinum cardholders (ie from which countries) have such access?
I think you'll find that's not the case for international AMEX cards, maybe when VA lounges were covered under Priority Pass, but not anymore.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
DL Diamond Medallion flying SYD-BNE in Y and then VA codeshare with Solomon airlines to Honiara the next day. Can Inuse VA lounge in BNE on arrival? My connecting flight is the next day. I will be connecting from LAX in DL business.
Not usually, but you can only ask. VA used to be quite flexible with this for their own members but I don't know how you would go as a DL Diamond.

The onwards connection to HIR won't help at all as it's not VA operated.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jozdemir
I think you'll find that's not the case for international AMEX cards, maybe when VA lounges were covered under Priority Pass, but not anymore.
Thank you, for the information.

I guess one can also buy lounge pass, if one has no other means to access the lounge?

I guess to buy a lounge pass, one has to fly on Virgin Australia flights. Or can one buy a lounge pass by flying a non VIrgin Australia ticket.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
..I guess one can also buy lounge pass, if one has no other means to access the lounge?

I guess to buy a lounge pass, one has to fly on Virgin Australia flights. Or can one buy a lounge pass by flying a non Virgin Australia ticket.
From a post in your QF thread

VA https://www.virginaustralia.com/nz/e...and-membership
Guest Entry lounge passes can be purchased at a cost of $65 at the Virgin Australia Lounge reception, by lounge members and Velocity Platinum and Gold members, when bringing additional guests beyond their existing allocation into the lounge. Other Virgin Australia guests (non-Virgin Australia lounge and non-Velocity members) can purchase Single Entry to the lounge on the day of travel with a valid Virgin Australia boarding pass for $65. All Single Entries payable at lounge reception by credit card only and can only be used a maximum of 2 hours before departure time. Available for domestic lounges only and does not include partner or international lounges. Subject to space availability.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:20 am
ja1

Programs: QFF (Bronze), Velocity (VA WP)
G'day,

VA Gold with a VA silver flying out of SYD on VA1 next Tuesday - We're sadly just flying discount economy so assuming there aren't any great lounges that might otherwise be available to J fares.

Any opinions on the current lounge access at Sydney International ? The VA website is fairly confusing about this (and also at the other end in LAX). When my wife flew last year, it turns out there was no lounge access in LAX at all (she was VA Gold then) which was annoying :-/

Also any advice on timing related to using TRS and proximity to whatever the VA lounge might be (I'm assuming it's still sharing the AirNZ Koru lounge?)
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ja1
G'day,

VA Gold with a VA silver flying out of SYD on VA1 next Tuesday - We're sadly just flying discount economy so assuming there aren't any great lounges that might otherwise be available to J fares.

Any opinions on the current lounge access at Sydney International ? The VA website is fairly confusing ,..
@ja1, The lounge access issue has been basically fixed and if you know where to look, not confusing these days.

See here: International Lounge Access | Virgin Australia

(Select Velocity Gold Members, Flight Operated by Virgin Australia and look up Sydney, Australia - flights to Los Angeles)

Last edited by serfty; Mar 22, 2018 at 4:02 pm
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:50 pm
ja1

Programs: QFF (Bronze), Velocity (VA WP)
Originally Posted by serfty
@ja1, The lounge access issue has been basically fixed and if you know where to look, not confusing these days.

See here: International Lounge Access Virgin Australia

(Select Velocity Gold Members, Flight Operated by Virgin Australia and look up Sydney, Australia - flights to Los Angeles)
Thanks - I had been looking previously and perhaps I just wasn't looking hard enough or in the right place. It sounds like flying VA metal to LAX with sufficient velocity status is the ETH lounge. Anyone got feedback on this lounge first hand for VA ?
Old May 8, 2018, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Flying VA in J from LST-MEL-CHC. Do I understand correctly that we will have access to the Air NZ lounge in Melbourne Int'l terminal where our flight to CHC will depart from?

Are there any other lounges we would get access to - SQ SilverKris Lounge?
Old May 8, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Flying VA in J from LST-MEL-CHC. Do I understand correctly that we will have access to the Air NZ lounge in Melbourne Int'l terminal where our flight to CHC will depart from?

yes - If flying before the VA/NZ partnership ends (after that nothing I am aware of has been announced).
Old May 9, 2018, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
yes - If flying before the VA/NZ partnership ends (after that nothing I am aware of has been announced).
When does their partnership end. Our flights are late December.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When does their partnership end. Our flights are late December.
NZ & VA split at the end of October 2018 Splitsville: Air New Zealand parts company with Virgin Australia

You will/may have access based of class of travel. Expect VA will make some lounge provision for international business class and maybe VA status passengers. But as post above, nothing announced yet.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Flying virgin's partner airline Hong Kong Airline

Received points and status credits flying Hong Kong airline but no access to their airport lounge
Old May 22, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Greetings,

I'm flying SYD-BNE later today, in economy, on a separate ticket after arriving LAX-SYD on DL. I have no status with VA. Diamond on DL. I don't quite follow all the reciprocal rules for this partnership. Do I have access to domestic lounge in SYD waiting for BNE departure? I will have longish connection if border controls go quickly.

I think I do not, but am not positive, so seek advice here. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.