Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Lounge Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Virgin Australia lounge at SYD ?

It looks like we'll be returning from our cruise starting with a flight from Sydney, on Virgin Australia (mid-December).
Our flight will be to HKG, where we change airlines.
(We may be trying to change our air travel home, depending upon the HKG situation and, of course, whatever other choices are available for awards travel. We'll have someone helping to monitor this while we are on our cruise.)

What is the current lounge situation in Sydney? Recommendations, if there are choices?
We'll be Business Class, and we also have Amex Plat & Priority Pass.

We prefer to get to airports a bit early. We are trying to avoid as much travel stress as we can; there is enough that could happen out of our control...

This will be our first visit to Australia, so we are totally unfamiliar with any of this.
This will also be our first trip with Virgin Australia.
(About 5+ years ago, we did take Virgin coast to coast USA, but I'm forgetting just which Virgin that was. We do remember that we found the experience, in coach, to be very pleasant, but that was also before we had started using awards to fly J or F, so we admit to having become a bit spoiled since then.)

Many thanks!

GC
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
@GeezerCouple For Business Class (of service) lounge access, on VA, you will be entitled to complimentary access to "The House".

More here:

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...ge-access/#SYD

and here:

https://no1lounges.com/service/airpo...ney/terminal-1
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by serfty
@GeezerCouple For Business Class (of service) lounge access, on VA, you will be entitled to complimentary access to "The House".

More here:

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...ge-access/#SYD

and here:

https://no1lounges.com/service/airpo...ney/terminal-1
Many thanks.
This will help with a reasonably (?) comfortable place to wait/relax.

GC
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Quick question regarding what I should do when I arrive at the airport for a flight later next week. I'll be on a domestic flight out of SYD that's being flown by an ATR 72. As a partner platinum (Delta PM) I plan on using the T2 domestic lounge before hand, and I'll be traveling with carry-on bags only (standard int'l spinner-type bag and laptop backpack), so I should be fine using the premium entry. With the smaller aircraft however, I'm not sure my spinner bag will fit in the overhead. Will I be able to gate check my bag after I leave the lounge? Or should I just plan on checking it in at the main check-in counters before I go to the lounge?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TuxTom
Quick question regarding what I should do when I arrive at the airport for a flight later next week. I'll be on a domestic flight out of SYD that's being flown by an ATR 72. As a partner platinum (Delta PM) I plan on using the T2 domestic lounge before hand, and I'll be traveling with carry-on bags only (standard int'l spinner-type bag and laptop backpack), so I should be fine using the premium entry. With the smaller aircraft however, I'm not sure my spinner bag will fit in the overhead. Will I be able to gate check my bag after I leave the lounge? Or should I just plan on checking it in at the main check-in counters before I go to the lounge?
Does your luggage comply with the VA rules? ---> https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...ry-on-baggage/
Note size & weight limits. Including "A laptop in thin satchel-style laptop bag is considered to be a personal item. A laptop in a larger laptop bag will be counted as part of a guest’s carry-on allowance".

What USA passengers consider as normal "carry-on bags only (standard int'l spinner-type bag and laptop backpack)" would be excessive in most other parts of the world.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Does your luggage comply with the VA rules? ---> https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...ry-on-baggage/
Note size & weight limits. Including "A laptop in thin satchel-style laptop bag is considered to be a personal item. A laptop in a larger laptop bag will be counted as part of a guest’s carry-on allowance".

What USA passengers consider as normal "carry-on bags only (standard int'l spinner-type bag and laptop backpack)" would be excessive in most other parts of the world.
Yes, I'm aware that most of the world isn't as carry-on obsessed as we are here in the US. I usually check a larger bag myself, but for a variety of reasons, I won't be this time. I had no problem with this setup last time I flew VA, but that was only on 737s. My carry-on bag is within the size (measures 53cm x 35cm x 23cm) and weight of the 'one standard piece' and at least on those previous flights, no one said anything to me about my laptop bag being too big as a personal item. I don't really have any experience with the ATR 72, so I'm just assuming it's similar to other regional aircraft and carry-on compliant luggage doesn't necessarily fit in the overhead. Thus, my question is whether it's better I check my carry-on at the main T2 check-in counters, or if I can just go straight to the lounge and gate-check the bag afterwards?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: Velocity
Originally Posted by TuxTom
Yes, I'm aware that most of the world isn't as carry-on obsessed as we are here in the US. I usually check a larger bag myself, but for a variety of reasons, I won't be this time. I had no problem with this setup last time I flew VA, but that was only on 737s. My carry-on bag is within the size (measures 53cm x 35cm x 23cm) and weight of the 'one standard piece' and at least on those previous flights, no one said anything to me about my laptop bag being too big as a personal item. I don't really have any experience with the ATR 72, so I'm just assuming it's similar to other regional aircraft and carry-on compliant luggage doesn't necessarily fit in the overhead. Thus, my question is whether it's better I check my carry-on at the main T2 check-in counters, or if I can just go straight to the lounge and gate-check the bag afterwards?
I travel a far bit regionally with a large laptop for work. As for the laptop it really depends on the bag you put the laptop in. A sleeve style wont raise questions but a shoulder backpack can be touch and go if you don't have status.

Unless you are in a mad rush at the other end, i would check the bag, depending on the flight they can be full of people traveling for work and the bins are chockers.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Cairns?

Anyone have any idea when the Cairns lounge may reopen?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by nivsy
Anyone have any idea when the Cairns lounge may reopen?
It was reported by VA last year that the CNS lounge has been permanently closed.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Melbourne lounge if in transit?

Will be transmitting Melbourne a few times on Virgin same day services in biz. On arrival at MEL do I need to exit airside and then go and do security again after going to the lounge? (don't fancy doing that much if busy) before once again flying?
Old May 5, 2023, 1:40 am

Programs: *Gold
There's a lot of info all over the web about SQ lounge access for people with VA status but is there any sort of reciprocity, i.e. VA lounge access for people with SQ status? There are some articles on the web about this but all years old, so before the COVID restructure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.