FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Lounge Thread
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:25 pm
bd42

Programs: Velocity
Originally Posted by TuxTom
Yes, I'm aware that most of the world isn't as carry-on obsessed as we are here in the US. I usually check a larger bag myself, but for a variety of reasons, I won't be this time. I had no problem with this setup last time I flew VA, but that was only on 737s. My carry-on bag is within the size (measures 53cm x 35cm x 23cm) and weight of the 'one standard piece' and at least on those previous flights, no one said anything to me about my laptop bag being too big as a personal item. I don't really have any experience with the ATR 72, so I'm just assuming it's similar to other regional aircraft and carry-on compliant luggage doesn't necessarily fit in the overhead. Thus, my question is whether it's better I check my carry-on at the main T2 check-in counters, or if I can just go straight to the lounge and gate-check the bag afterwards?
I travel a far bit regionally with a large laptop for work. As for the laptop it really depends on the bag you put the laptop in. A sleeve style wont raise questions but a shoulder backpack can be touch and go if you don't have status.

Unless you are in a mad rush at the other end, i would check the bag, depending on the flight they can be full of people traveling for work and the bins are chockers.